Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best earphones for running

Discussion in 'Headphones & Portable Music' started by banyantree, Jan 8, 2009.

1. banyantree

banyantree Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I own an expensive pair of Shure in earphones for listening to music on the bus and plane which are excellent however they are pretty useless for running since your step is amplified through the phones.
    I tried the Seinnhieser waterproof green sport earphones which were crap and couldnt stay in my ears. So im currently using the apple ear phones.

What are the best earphones for running with.
  2. Spiderkid

Spiderkid Member

Ratings:
    +117
    Which Sennheisers did you try? They do several pairs in the green sports version. I've used these when cycling Play.com (UK) : Sennheiser PMX 70 In-Ear Sports Headphones : Electronics - Free Delivery and although not the most comfortable headphones in the world, they produce good sound and they do stay put when I'm moving about. Plus they aren't totally isolating, so you can still hear things like traffic, which is an important safety consideration when you're out running or cycling (unless you're on a treadmill!).
  3. banyantree

banyantree Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I bought the Sennheiser mX70 sport which is just the earbuds. They were so useless i actually threw them away sicne they kept slipping out my ears.
    The ones you suggested are phones type with a head or neck band which i dont like.
    I would like ones which either fit inside the ear but do not produce the heavy thudding sound when running. Teh apple buds stay in the ear but are not that great sonically.
  4. Spiderkid

Spiderkid Member

Ratings:
    +117
    Well at the top end something like the Etymotic could work as they're supposed to be very light and have a unique deep canal earbud system. Etymotic Headphones | Etymotic SALE Now On!

Alternatively I'd suggest something simple like the Klipsch Customs which hook over the ear to give a secure fit. Klipsch Custom 1 | SALE Now On!

Lastly why not just go for a good earbud system like the Sennheiser CX range, but choose one with a lanyard chord so that the earbuds stay in place when you're running... the CX400's would give you much better sound over the apple earbuds and should give you a better fit. Sennheiser CXL400 Black Earbuds with Lanyard | SALE Now On!
  5. ABC1

ABC1 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Spiderkid, The more expensive Klipsch Custom 2 are available for the same money as the Custom 1, and get much better reviews.
    Personally have some skullkandy Titans, not available in uk, but have had good reviews, stay put in ear and sound great.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  6. lever.mark

lever.mark Member

Ratings:
    +21
    i have been using my shure e2c's recently and do like them. I found that the footsteps seemed exxagerated at first but i appear to have got used to it now and i dont really notice at all.

I found that using a nike running top with holes for running the earphones helped as it prevents the cable moving about and tugging on the phones so that they stay in my ears.

Since i started using this i dont have to touch them during a 45min cross country run.
  7. Boink!

Boink! Member

Ratings:
    +26
    I use the unfeasibly cheap Koss KSC75 when I'm out running. They're about £11 to buy, clip over the ears and allow you to hear what's going on around you (for safety) and most importantly they sound great. They also sound better if you amp them, like with the equally cheap and tiny Fiio e3 or e5.
  8. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

Ratings:
    +158
    The Koss are ridiculously good phones for the money, and one of the better solutions for activity. I use mine for biking - I don't like isolation from my canals on a bike.
    Last edited: May 28, 2009
  9. ABC1

ABC1 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Have recently changed to Ultimate Ears Super fi's with Comply Foam tips, if you use this type of phone withe the cable running over the TOP of the ear as shown on their website, then in conjunction with the comply tips, you get a fantastic fit, that is comfortable, carries no outside sound or that of the cable whistling (previous Sennheisers did that), and best of all does NOT fall out of your ears!
    If you are interested, Dixons online are doing them for £48 at the moment, other half just got some as well as she was so impressed with them for running.
    Last edited: May 28, 2009
  10. HiFi Headphones

HiFi Headphones Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +82
    Yep, I agree with ABC1. The best headphones for running are those that have over ear cable fit systems, which help reduce transmission noise up the cable (when the cable rubs against your clothes) and in combination with Comply Foam eartips the dull thud sound when your feet hit the ground is reduced.

The SoundMAGIC E30 is an excellent earphone for running as the cabling routes over the ear (they also come with cable guides to hold them secure) and there is a tensioner to move the Y in the cable directly to the back of the neck. They stay VERY secure.

Other suitable earphones for running include the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 3, Super.fi 5 Pro, Triple.fi 10, Klipsch Custom series or the Sennheiser IE range. See our running headphones range for more details about the above.

Shaun
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  11. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,463
  12. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac Active Member

Ratings:
    +567
    I have tried the Sennheiser's and didn't get on with them either, i ended up with some Nike ones - the sound is pretty good, they're extremely light, you get limited cable slap noise through them and most of all their waterproof AND stay in your ears!!

Nike Skylon SHJ080/00 Earhook Sport Headphones: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Though when searching for them i found they've bought out a new range would could be better....

Nike Flow SHJ026/00 Earhook Sport Headphones: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

They look as though they'll fit better to your ears and are cheaper too!

Personally i'd be very wary using expensive headphones such as Etymotic etc as when i run, i sweat... and i killed two pairs of Apple headphones quite quickly this way - i'd be mortified if i destroyed a pair of Etymotics the same way!!!!
  13. HiFi Headphones

HiFi Headphones Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +82
    Yep, I agree that Etymotics would not be the best earphones for running! They are very sensitive (i.e. not the most durable) and anyway the cable microphonics would probably get annoying rather quickly.

Another (also not cheap) option are custom earphone sleeves. These keep the earphone away from the sweat completely and also give a very comfortable fit in the ear. If singers and musicians can wear custom earphones while jumping around for an entire gig then I they should work just as well for running.

Otherwise I'd recommend an earphone with over ear cabling, like the the SoundMAGIC E30. Sensible price, excellent sound, durable design. Perfect for gym and park running where sound isolation is no problem.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011