1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best compact digital camera for concerts?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by vicksmiler, Feb 7, 2010.

1. vicksmiler

vicksmiler Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Could anyone recommend the best compact digi camera for concert photos? Im looking for a camera with high MP resolution with a good zoom (5x) or more? Dont want to get into SLR or anything too technical its just something that i can use at concerts to take reasonably good photos? I have a Kodak easyshare 8.1mp with 3x digi zoom at the moment, it doesnt take very good pics in low light i.e. at concerts?
    Hope someone can help please
    Vic :)
  2. shotokan101

shotokan101 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +12,326
    What's your budget ? - the Panasonic TZ7 gets highly recommended - pop over and check out the TZ7 thread.

Jim
  3. Pirate!!

Pirate!! New Member

Ratings:
    +1,250
    Have a look at the Canon Powershot 720 IS.
  4. GarryF

GarryF Member

Ratings:
    +153
    There's canon s90 too at the high end.
  5. vicksmiler

vicksmiler Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Didnt really want to spend more than £150 really? Thanks for your suggestions, i will look in to them :thumbsup:
  6. pips

pips Member

Ratings:
    +52
  7. vicksmiler

vicksmiler Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for showing me your pics and vids from the camera, looks great, very clear, just what i am looking for. Can you edit pictures on the camera after taking them i.e save after zooming in again? :)
  8. pips

pips Member

Ratings:
    +52
    Erm, pass! I'm not sure what you mean to be honest but no doubt someone will be able to answer that!;)
  9. pips

pips Member

Ratings:
    +52
    I think this is the video which best shows the great audio quality of the TZ7 for gigs.

Bear in mind this whole section of the gig is VERY bass heavy, both with drums and bass guitar yet there is only the slightest distortion.

It wobbles a bit in places simply because I had to keep ducking/moving when people were being pulled over the barrier by security!

YouTube - Muse, Helsinki Jam/Undisclosed Desires @ The London O2 Arena.

If you read some of the 109 comments I've had for this video you'll see it's one of the best out there for this jam and song :D:thumbsup:
  10. vicksmiler

vicksmiler Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thats fantastic quality, have you zoomed in or were you quite close to the front anyway if you don't mind me asking? :)
  11. pips

pips Member

Ratings:
    +52
    I was right on the barrier but the beauty of the TZ7 is that you CAN zoom in/out while recording video!

I was at another of their gigs just a few days before only that time I was right at the very back of the seated area at the side of the arena (Dublin O2 arena) but still got some great video! Any singing you hear is NOT me!

Watch in HD :thumbsup:

YouTube - Muse, New Born, Dublin O2 arena

YouTube - Muse, Time Is Running Out, Unnatural Selection, Dublin O2 Arena

YouTube - Muse, Knights Of Cydonia, Dublin O2 Arena

Not bad considering how far I was from the stage!
  12. Goody

Goody Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Excellent footage there, and you couldn't have chosen a better band to showcase it either. :thumbsup:
  13. pips

pips Member

Ratings:
    +52
    Thanks! You're not wrong there!:smashin:
  14. kevinkevkev

kevinkevkev Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I bought one of these and I bought a Verbatim Class 6 32GB SDHC card.
    I was going to go for the TZ7 as I'm from the UK but because of the recording limit per video, I went for the ZS3 and I'm very happy. It comes with a 3 pin adaptor to go ontop of the 2 pin charger. I was a little worried. I bought from here. Excellent delivery.

With that card, you get over 4 hours of recording in AVCHD at Super High quality. Or, over 5000 high quality 9.5 megapixels 3:2 pictures.
  15. vicksmiler

vicksmiler Member

Ratings:
    +0

Cant get over the quality even from further away! Prefer to take pictures but think i am being lured over to the video side of things now! I really want this camera now!! :D
  16. Roloasis

Roloasis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know where I can by the TZ7 from now as like you I'm looking for a camera to record during concerts and that looks fantastic! I know the tz9 and 10 are out now but they seem very pricey, cheers for any help.
  17. shotokan101

Ratings:
    +12,326
    PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-ZS3 / TZ7 DIGITAL CAMERA BLACK | eBay UK

Jim
  18. Roloasis

Roloasis Member

Ratings:
    +0
  19. pips

pips Member

Ratings:
    +52
    A friend of mine also wanted the TZ7 but actually found the TZ10 was cheaper in many instances. He bought that and got some fantastic footage at a couple of gigs last year, great audio, just as good as the TZ7.

I'm now looking at getting the TZ20 for that full HD and better optical zoom.
  20. dowzer

dowzer Member

Ratings:
    +212
    If you want to record concerts you need a camera with a stereo mic as far as I can tell - that one has a mono mic.That is why the Panasonics have such good sound I believe.

I am in the same boat as you as I would like a camera that can record concerts with great sound and the TZ10/7 seem to tick all the boxes. I see this camera on Argos has a stereo mic + 720p video but dont know how good it is:

Buy Nikon S8000 14MP Digital Compact Camera - Red at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Compact digital cameras.

The Samsung WB600 is meant to be good too but I cant find if it has a stereo mic from the tech specs on amazon.
  21. shotokan101

Ratings:
    +12,326
    Looks a great price for that Nikon - tempted to try it myself :rolleyes: - can't see the stereo info for the WB600 on the Samsung site but it's noted as Sterow here :-

Samsung Wb600 - Photoxels - Digital Photography

...and the Samsung site photo's show what looks two Mic openings on the top plate...

HTH

JIm
  22. Roloasis

Roloasis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The last two cameras seem really good as well and seem cheaper than the TZ's, which one do you reckon I should go for? They are more in my price range and seem to do the same job as the TZ's or would you pay more to get a TZ?
  23. shotokan101

Ratings:
    +12,326
    No experience of the Nikon and for that reason alone I'd (personally) be tempted to try it at that price :rolleyes:

TZ's do get commended regularly for gig video though - wouldn't bother holding out for a TX7 though if I could get the TZ10 at similar price.

Jim