Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best bookshelf speakers for bass?

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by Boson, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Boson

Boson New Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Budget is £100 - £150

Narrowed down to these 3: -

Tannoy F1
    Wharfedale Diamond 9.1
    Monitor Audio BR1

My local richer sounds only has the tannoys instock so can't hear a demo

Would like to hear some opinions :thumbsup:
  2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,781
    Just my opinion, but my first choice would be the Diamond 9.1. This is a well recognized all round speaker with a 5"/130mm woofer with 50hz rated low end. My second choice would be the Tannoy F1, also with a 5"/130mm woofer but bass response down to 55hz.

The Monitor Audio BR1, while a good speaker is a little limited, but still has a 5.5" bass driver with response down to 55hz. So, certainly worth considering.

If there is any way you can swing it, the Monitor Audio BR2 is on close-out now at the very attractive price of about £160/pr. The BR2 has a 6" bass driver with response down to a very good 42hz. That's probably one of the best bargains out there right now. Though, it is also pushing your budget.

All the speaker listed are good, it is just a matter of which one you like best. Each has its fans and its detractors. It is best to hear them, that way you can be sure the speakers you choose match your personal preferences.

But then ... that's just my opinion.

Steve/bluewizard
  3. Boson

Boson New Member

Ratings:
    +7
    cheers, so the BR2 has the best out the 3? is it better value for money?
  4. BlueWizard

Ratings:
    +2,781
    The older BR2 normally sold for £200/pr or slightly more. The newer replacement, the BX2, currently sells for about £225. So, the price of about £160 for the BR2 is pretty attractive.

A quick search of Google-UK will give you a range of prices -

Monitor Audio BR2 - Google Product Search

The rated low frequency response of 42hz (-3db) is very good for a speaker with a 6.5" woofer.

If you can push your budget up that high, I can't really think of any better speakers for the money.

Still at a lower budget, the original three you mentioned are probably the top in that price range.

Just one man's opinion.

Steve/bluewizard
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Boson

Boson New Member

Ratings:
    +7
    took your advice and ordered some :thumbsup:

ordered from hifix for £161 which includes 10 metres of chord carnival silver screen cable.

all I need now is an amp to match the speakers, any suggestions? preferably a cambridge audio one
  6. BlueWizard

Ratings:
    +2,781