1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best 46" TV for under a grand.......

Discussion in 'Which TV Should I Buy?' started by stevep94, Jan 26, 2012.

1. stevep94

stevep94 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I'm currently in possession of a Sony 46EX723 as a replacement for my old Sony 40V3000 that developed a fault and while its a nice set, I'm noticing a very slight "shadow" effect on the screen, especially when the picture is panning left and right on a coloured background!?!?! :confused:

(I could be being picky however as the fault that my last Sony developed was a dark vertical banding so I will forever be looking for it!!!)

Now I'm still within my 28 day period with John Lewis so I can refund or swap it but I cant see much else that fits my criteria!

Unfortunately I cant pick a plasma as my wife finds the screens too reflective which, annoyingly, appears to also rule out the Samsung sets as they too all appear to have reflective glass on the front! :(

Are there any other sets I can try????

Thanks for any suggestions guys....

ps. I know my EX723 is 3D but its certainly not a requirement!
  2. vickster

vickster Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,821
    What are your criteria other than no plasma / shiny screens?

I guess you are left with Toshiba, Philips (47"), LG (47"), or simply a replacement Sony (and don't look for issues ;) This which you describe may be typical of LCD? )
  3. stevep94

stevep94 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    To be honest all I want is a nice crisp picture - the set is generally used for Sky HD and SD viewing (including football which is where I notice the "fault" the most!), the occasional Blu-Ray and some gaming on my PS3!

I know I shouldn't be looking for faults but after spending a couple of months watching the old Sony, I cant seem to help it!

Any specific models you can recommend from the sets you suggested??
  4. vickster

vickster Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,821
    LCDs almost always have panning issues with football (I am sure mine does, I just don't look for it) - you need to play with the motion processing and see which is best - Sony seem to have the best motion processing generally. I am surprised you see it on Sky Sports HD
  5. stevep94

stevep94 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I'm not sure its the motion handling though to be honest - its more of a couple of very faint "shadows" in fixed areas of the screen - its just more noticeable on football because of the green background!

To be honest, either way I guess I should swap it or I'll forever be annoyed with it!

Before going for the Sony I was tempted for the 47" LG but those sets also appear to have inherent faults in this sort of area!

:confused:
  6. vickster

vickster Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,821
    Is it backlight bleed? What's it like on a plain dark background - unless extraordinarily lucky, you'll get this with ANY LCD/edgelit LED-LCD

My Samsung has quite a lot of tis - just trying to decide whether I am bothered enough to get it looked at under warranty as the rest of the TV is fine
  7. mikeyboosh

mikeyboosh Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Sounds like DSE/Banding. Basically an the backlight is not uniform across the panel. I took 2 Samsung's back because of this last year, which was CCFL backlit. Like previously said, you'll do well to find an LCD/LED these days without seeing these problems. I don't think plasma's suffer from it. Also, in theory a full array LED shouldn't suffer from this either, but they aren't cheap. Personally I think the standard of TV they sell these days is pretty bad. I don't know how they are getting away with it sometimes.

Let me know if you find one without this problem!
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  8. Cockneylol

Cockneylol Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I too am grappling with the thought that it's time to ditch my Sony KDL40 V4000 and to go for a 46" more up to date screen. My current TV isn't faulty though.

When you upgraded to your 46" screen was the picture much improved on your older display (before it started playing up)?
  9. vyleside

vyleside Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I'll tell ya why: because the average consumer doesn't care. Samsungs sell themselves, and even when they're on dynamic, and the blacks look blue, ad the greens look like the incredible hulk's skin, customers just go "but....but.....it's frame is so pretty!"

I've seen customers flat out refuse to buy or CONSIDER a panasonic because its speakers make them chunkier, even though it benefits sound. It's all aesthetics and nothing else.

Samsung has also done such a good job of marketing their LEDs that people truly believe that plasma is a terrible, unreliable technology for TV dinosaurs.

When people buying TVs don't care how the picture looks and buy them in droves anyway, the manufacturers aren't going to spend the money on them... which is why none of last year's TVs had IPS panels. Last year's viewing angles were attrocious compared to what came before.
  10. mikeyboosh

mikeyboosh Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Nice to see someone shares my viewpoint on this board. My 3 year old ccfl Panasonic has zero blur/clouding/banding/dse etc etc and it was in the budget range back then. Now I can't find one that is acceptable to me. If it was bigger I would keep it and be happy.

I'd buy a plasma if there was more choice in the 42" range.
  11. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,413
    It's not clear what that means, but they do sell themselevs, by their good quality.
    They also do LCDs - like mine which is as near perfect as anyone could want - and plasmas which have an equally good reputation.
  12. ciscokid1

ciscokid1 Member

Ratings:
    +29
    I too am looking to update my set but cant find anything better than my Phillips 32 LCD---HD Ready.
    The Panasonic Plasma's seem very good with anti-reflective filters.
    The GT30 range is worth considering.
    It is very suprising however that the GT30 42 inch version gets a substandard review from Which magazine------not sure why this is when all other reviews for the GT30s are very good.
  13. Scooby2000

Scooby2000 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,391
    My 46" GT30 was very good, until the green splodge issue.

It is shocking how bad most sets are now, people just don't have a clue. do they not pay attention to the world around them?:rolleyes: so many seem to like over sharp, bright and over saturated images, they flock to the things.:facepalm:
  14. happyhotspur

happyhotspur Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Have you considered the latest Toshiba 46TL868B

I am sure I saw it somewhere for around £600. It is 3D and without glasses but it might be worth a look. Very slim design.

There is a review on techradar site They give it a 4* rating
  15. vyleside

vyleside Member

Ratings:
    +3
    What I mean is that Samsung have, through their marketing, convinced people that LED is brand new, and that they invented it, that it's a completely new form of technology, and is a billion times better than LCD or plasma.

And they've made them pretty.

Customers go "oh this LED is the future, right? LCD and Plasma are on their way out?"

Their heads nearly explode when I pointed out that sony's X series LCD sets used LED backlighting for years (since about 2004 or 2005 I believe) but they didn't market it as being an "LED TV."

So customers take a look at a super slim LED TV and assume it must be the best thing ever, because it's slim and would look nice with the curtains. They don't care about picture quality, but do notice how eye burningly bright samsungs are. They're like moths, really.

Don't get me wrong, samsung make nice sets, but I still maintain that the GT30 (and even the ST30) have better colours than the D7/8000. I had a particular epiphany when looking at the women's wimbledon final. When the winner held up her plate, the light reflected off the details and the edge lit LED sets couldn't cope with it. We just got a solid blob of white. The plasmas on the other hand recreated the detail effortlessly. Of the four customers who were convinced they wanted the D8000, 3 bought the VT20 next to it straight away, and one plumped for the ST30.

But the most common thing I hear from people really is "Okay, so (whatever) tv does have a nicer picture, I agree, but that samsung is gorgeous." I can't complain, it brings in money, but when I hear that from people it boggles the mind. Why spend hundreds more on something you admit is inferior for its core purpose, just because it has a slim silver bezel?

Samsung is the pop industry of TVs. It churns out sexy, capable products that can back up their image with some talent, but when pushed beyond their comfort zone, they reveal cracks in the facade. But the mass public doesn't care, because by the time they actually stop to look at the content, rather than the package, they'll have moved onto something slimmer and sexier.
  16. mikeyboosh

mikeyboosh Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Well said
  17. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,413
    And now said twice.:nono:
  18. stevep94

stevep94 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks for all the replies guys!

I've 95% decided that I can't put up with this set now so I can either try another 46EX723 or possibly try one of the following as they are in the same sort of price bracket:

Toshiba 46TL868 LED HD 1080p 3D TV, 46 Inch with Built-in Freeview HD

LG 47LW550T LED HD 1080p 3D Capable TV, 47 Inch with Built-in Freeview HD

Philips 47PFL7666 LED HD 1080p 3D TV, 47 Inch with Built-in Freeview HD, 2x Pairs of 3D Glasses

Any opinions on any of these sets as a replacement??
  19. happyhotspur

happyhotspur Member

Ratings:
    +3
    The Tosh is available from Crampton & More for £614.99 plus 5 year warranty if thats any help. Well under the grand and enough left for extra glasses etc
  20. stevep94

stevep94 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Yeah, I've notice the £950 from JL is well over the odd's for the Toshiba - luckily they will usually price match! :smashin:

Any opinions on which of these sets is the best??
  21. happyhotspur

happyhotspur Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Personally I was on the point of the Panasonic 42ST30 but really couldn't live with the aesthetics in my room so started looking at other options.

The Panasonic 42GT30 looked good but still over my budget, didn't fancy the LG from the comments on this forum. This was also the case on the Samsung's although I loved the look of them again over budget and not sure of the quality.

I already have the Toshiba 32WLT66 brilliant picture so was looking at the TL868, but really wanted to try a plasma screen.

I might as well now wait and see what the 2012 models will bring.
  22. stevep94

stevep94 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Do they have a store in Sheffield then?
  23. happyhotspur

happyhotspur Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I don't know I think they are an Internet dealer only but their head office is definitely in Sheffield.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. mrobbo

mrobbo Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, C&M have a store in Ecclesfield, Sheffield. Postcode = S35 9XA
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. stevep94

stevep94 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Well I've opted to try another 46EX723 to see if the next one is any better - delivery next Monday so fingers crossed!

If it turns out to be a dud though, I'm seriously swayed towards the Toshiba - especially at £619 if they will price-match!

Thanks for any further suggestions guys....... :smashin:
  26. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Under a grand what?:confused:
    Piano, Stand?:confused:
  27. stevep94

stevep94 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    My apologies, I really should have been more succinct with my phraseology!

What I meant to convey was that I was interested in other peoples opinions on the best television set available for under a budget of one thousand pounds sterling.

I was attempting to use a common colloquialism in a vain attempt to garner more interest in the question and now realise that I really should have been more specific.

I can certainly understand your confusion now that I have re-read my thread title.

Again, please accept my most sincere apologies me old mukker! :smashin:
  28. slobdog

slobdog Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Am in the same position. Love the picture on my 32WLT66 and would be very happy with a 46 inch equivilient as an upgrade. So am hoping the 46TL868 is the answer! I have submitted a price match request to JL and if they can meet crampton and moore's £615, will definately give it a whirl!
  29. woody57

woody57 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Samsung 6530-32" or 46"--£944 JL PRICEMATCH WITH COMET.
  30. vickster

vickster Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,821
    Sounds a lot for a 32" - weird that it's the same price as the 46"????