1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best 2.1 PC Speakers for under £100?

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by TimYoung, Feb 16, 2011.

1. TimYoung

TimYoung New Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Can anybody recommend the best value for money 2.1 PC speakers for under £100? Or can be a bit over it as well if worth it?

I have Trust Magna 2.1 speakers atm so something that would be a significant upgrade I guess from it? Thanks :smashin:
  2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,679
    In all honesty the best 2.1 system is not a 2.1 system but a 2.0.

Is this your current system -

Google-UK Shopping Search - Trust Magna 2.1 speakers

Given that you can pick it up for £30, I don't think it is going to take much to beat it.

Consider this, which is one of the best values around, for as long as it lasts -

WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.1 SPEAKERS (PAIR) - available from Superfi UK

If you can come up with a big pile of money consider the above speaker bundled with this sizable Subwoofer -

WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.1 SPEAKERS & SW150 SUBWOOFER 2.1 SPEAKER PACKAGE - available from Superfi UK

Here is the latest version of the same speaker, though again, more money -

WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.1 SPEAKERS (PAIR) - available from Superfi UK

As an alternate, the older Monitor Audio BR1 can still be had for a mere £89/pr from HiFix.co.uk. And the larger BR2 can still be found at various places for about £160/pr.

I know everyone thinks they want a Subwoofer, and if you get a real Subwoofer, you might be right. But many bookshelf speakers, especially the somewhat larger one, will go just as low as a cheap Subwoofer. More importantly, the will give you clarity far beyond what any budget £30 system can.

The next critical points is, what are you going to drive them with? What is your source (CD Player, iPod/MP3, computer, etc...) and what amp are you using?

Also, these are just a couple of speakers that are on deep discount at the moment. There are plenty of other speakers in the roughly £100/pr to £150/pr range.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  3. TimYoung

TimYoung New Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi errr... those Trust are my speakers now. I was asking about pc speakers for my desk... am I in the right forum? lol
  4. Mr Andy

Mr Andy Member

Ratings:
    +19
    you're in the right forum. you're just getting an answer from outside the box

I used to use logitech X540 speakers and I would really recomend at looking to connext a cheap amp and some speakers like those listed above. It's what I've done. I'm using an amp from 1979 but it works fine with the output from the PC and will drive modern speakers without issue. The wharfedale 9.1 have more low end grunt then the PC sub and sound quality is in another world.
  5. Yoga

Yoga Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, How about the Harman Kardon Soundsticks 2 ? It is a fantastic 2.1 speaker system , however it is a tad over your budget!
  6. BlueWizard

Ratings:
    +2,679
    Ahh... sorry didn't see the "PC" in "PC Speakers". Though you were just looking for speakers in general.

Also, I know what speakers you have, I provided a link so everyone would know specifically what your existing speakers are and what they are worth. You can't expect everyone to have intimate knowledge of every speaker ever made anywhere in the world.

But, I don't retract what I said, better a few good speakers than a lot of so-so ones. A good pair of bookshelf will probably go just as low as a small cheap Sub.

Though, I can understand having a limited budget, been there - done that, if you can find more money, so much the better.

Just above your price range is the Audioengine A2 -

Audioengine A2 - Google Product Search

Check out this YouTube Video -

YouTube - Audioengine A2 test

Also, the M-Audio AV 30 and the AV 40 -

M Audio 30 - Google Product Search

M Audio 40 - Google Product Search

The M-Audio are frequently used for home recording studio monitors.

Also, you can see reviews on the M-Audio on YouTube.

I'm not that familiar with Sat/Sub 2.1 systems, so I will leave that to others.

Though if you can scape together the budget, a stereo amps and bookshelf speakers will do a fantastic job of it.

Steve/bluewizard
  7. TimYoung

TimYoung New Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah I don't really have much space on my desk so in fact the smaller the speakers the better.

I have Harman Kardon Soundsticks 3 on my list of speakers to look at because they do look so lush! The only thing is that after a few reviews I read the sound is a tad less than what could be gotten with the same price. I dunno a worthy trade off for sound with amazing looks? =)

Cheers! The audio engine 2 sounds great on the Youtube vid! Deffo something going on my list to look at. In fact, if it were a little less expensive I would get it now. Maybe I'll hold off to get this one when I can afford it.
  8. starfarer

starfarer Member

Ratings:
    +34
    I still got Acoustic Energy Aego 2.1 which I paid £60 in 2006. Most that heard these puppies, went onto buy one for themselves.
  9. aldiQuadro

aldiQuadro Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I recently replaced my DSS80 after its LF speaker disintegrated.

But one new audio sound card and a 2.1 speaker system later I feel kinda robbed, are any 2.1 systems actually 3 channel systems?

Failing that I think I'll have to go down BlueWizards suggested M-Audio route.
  10. TimYoung

TimYoung New Member

Ratings:
    +5
    ohh that is a good one. They cost £120 now tho. I'll try to find some youtube vids and see if I can listen to some of these. Got great reviews on amazon.

3 Channel System:

Denon S-302

Denon S-302 2.1-channel DVD System review - Home Cinema reviews - TrustedReviews

Philips HTS6515/05

Philips HTS6515/05 2.1-Channel Home Cinema System review - Home Cinema reviews - TrustedReviews

I dunno about the M Audio Speakers. They don't sound v good and my Trust sounds better and clearer than the M Audios. And they are absolutely massiveeeeeee. Takes up too much desk space.

YouTube - M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Speakers
  11. BlueWizard

Ratings:
    +2,679
    The problem with YouTube videos is not the quality of the speakers being demo'd, but the idiots running the system, and the quality of the video recording.

I tend not to give any stock to any video where the person is using Bass I Love You for the demo. They are typically demonstrating how far they can make their woofers jump and how loud they can turn the volume knob. Both terrible for making a quality video.

Plus, consider this, from small speakers comes small sound, from big speakers come big sound. You can't expect to haul cargo freight in a Mini-Cooper. That device has to be appropriate for the job that needs to be done. The same it true of speakers, the smaller the speaker, the lesser the performance; especially bass performance.

If you absolutely need ultra small speakers on your desktop, the perhaps Sat/Sub is the best choice for you. But, it would never be a realistic choice for me.

Just a thought.

Steve/bluewizard
  12. aldiQuadro

aldiQuadro Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well if there was anything to put you off buying something that was it right there ...

Fruitless in my search to find a real 2.1 speaker system thats also affordable.

My solution NAD 310, TEAC LS-X7, Yamaha YST-SW40.

It works a treat, OK i didn't buy the components new, but it all cost about the same as a new set of reasonable PC 2.1 stereo speakers.

In reply to the orginal thread 'Best 2.1 PC Speakers for under £100?', take bluewizards suggestion, stay way from 'PC' speakers and buy quality 2.0.
  13. akina

akina Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Are non-PC speakers magnetically shielded these days? If not they quickly destroy your monitor screen!

I'm currently using the Aego Ms.

I have hooked my PC up to my hi-fi speakers in the past but it's not a very desirable setup because I want the speakers in different positions, depending on whether I'm in front of the computer or not. And that leads to tangled cables everywhere.
  14. speaker expert

speaker expert Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have purchased these brilliant speakers in the past for a my computer to try out. When I looked at these speakers on the internet the stood out from all the others, simply because of their outstanding design. I went to my local speaker store to test these out and I was very very impressed, in the same store they had the £250 bose version and to be honest i thought these were miles better. after weeks of use i had worn them in propely and i cant say anything bad about these, honestly well worth the buy!!!!!!!!!!!! they are on par with the 700watt RMS Bang and Olufsen you can get in an audi, bmw, amg and Aston Martian!!!1
  15. dUnKle

dUnKle Active Member

Ratings:
    +283
    What would be deemed to be the current best budget 2.0 or 2.1 system for a pc

Not looking spending much more that fifty quid.
  16. dogfonos

dogfonos Member

Ratings:
    +87
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. voxx40

voxx40 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have the Audioengine A2's and I think they are fabulous and I highly recommend them. The sound stage they can produce belies there size.
  18. dogfonos

dogfonos Member

Ratings:
    +87
    Audioengine A2:

2.6" woofer
    15W RMS/channel power output
    +9dB bass boost at about 60Hz (still +4dB @ 10Hz)

No matter how good they sound, these specs start alarm bells ringing for me.
  19. dUnKle

dUnKle Active Member

Ratings:
    +283
    I got the microlabs and they are great. Very well built but of kit

Solid heavy and great sound.
  20. dogfonos

dogfonos Member

Ratings:
    +87
    Thanks for feeding back. Glad you like them - which Microlab model did you buy?