BenQ W1070 1080p Full HD 3D DLP Projector Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Stephen Withers, 4th April 2013. The BenQ W1070 represents a new benchmark in terms of price and it's hard to imagine that a 1080p 3D projector could get much cheaper. Thankfully it backs up its budget price with a far from budget performance, delivering great images in both 2D and 3D. If you're on a budget but are looking for that big screen buzz, the W1070 should definitely be on your list.
Read the full review...

How come no input lag info is ever on projetor reviews as many are selling them as gaming projectors would love lag times for all projector plz

Last edited:
In tests it's generally around 20ms, it's fast enough to be negligible and one of the best around.
Also, i have one and use an ND filter when viewing 2D as it's way too bright on 100" screen, not sure if Stephen's sample has a problem...just remove it when viewing 3D, no fiddling with the remote

Last edited:
So this or the HD25 ??

Nice review again Steve - funny thing is that I found 'usable' brightness to be quite low as well, compared to the rated 2000 lumens. I couldn't even get it to register over 1000 lumens in cinema mode which was disappointing. Other than that, there is a lot to like about this projector for the price you pay :thumbsup:

The review does not mention that this is one of the only projectors sub $10K
to be triple-flash enabled, with the 144Hz 3D glasses providing silky smooth 24p playback. Otherwise great review!

Last edited:
Whilst the 3D was good, I wasn't aware the W1070 used triple flash and I can't find any reference to it in BenQ's documentation?

That might explain why the glasses are so ludicrously big and require two batteries!

Sounds like the HD25, currently with a free pair of RF glasses (usb rechargeable!) was a better choice for me! Glad I got it... Can the HD25 RF glasses do 144hz?
Also the fact that the HD25 can use both DLP or RF glasses, so if you decide to can go the cheaper route.

I tested the 1070 in 2D mode and found it was quite loud in Normal Mode, as if their NM was everyone elses Bright Mode.

I tested the 1070 in 2D mode and found it was quite loud in Normal Mode, as if their NM was everyone elses Bright Mode.

Which is ironic when you consider I didn't think it was that bright even in Normal Mode.

Would you mind posting the settings to calibrate the projector? I'm a first time buyer and I don't have much experience calibrating. But I do have absolute light control in the room. Thanks a lot!!

Stephen I know this article was written a while back but I am just jumping into the projector scene and bought the W1070 and would love to know the settings that you ended up with for best picture or at least the setup program you used to calibrate it. Thanks.

please help!
I decided to purchase a projector dilemma is benq w1070 or optoma gt1080. In Croatia I do not have a chance to see w1070, but I saw gt1080 and pictures make me very satisfied. I would rather have bought w1070 because it is cheaper 130 pounds (570 w1070 and 700 gt1080), but I was wondering what is the picture quality? Is it worse because of low contrast? Can I expect the same quality picture as well as the gt1080? I'll use it for football, movies and PC games.
Sorry for bad english, google translate.
Please, can anyone help me?

Funnily enough my review of the GT1080 should be going up today but based upon my experiences with both projectors and given the price difference, I'd buy the W1070. By the way, the GT1080 uses a short throw lens, do you need one? If that's the case you should look at the W770ST or W1080ST instead.

Steve, thank you very much! I have a problem with space, but the w1070 manage to get the desired size of the image, whereas with HD26 I fail, so I watched gt1080. I read a review for gt1080, and decided, thanks to the advice to w1070. Thanks again!!

one doubt, in high def, the image setting of real is better than auto?!?

Had my benq for a few years now, I can play 4k und films through it using my Xbox one x, anyone else tried this and what settings do you use on the benq, thanks all

Had my benq for a few years now, I can play 4k und films through it using my Xbox one x, anyone else tried this and what settings do you use on the benq, thanks all
Yes, i played my 4k discs through my xbox one s and samsung 4k player, when they were both hooked up to the ben q, when i had it. Yes it downscaled to 1080p, but i just wanted access to the Atmos/DTS-X soundtracks that were only on the 4k discs.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom