Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bdp lx53 into vsx lx70 no connection with hdmi

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by locura, Mar 5, 2011.

1. locura

locura Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have recently tried to put my Pioneer LX53 into my VSX LX70 using an HDMI lead and cannot get anything onto my PDP 5090 screen, or any sound output.

I have played the LX53 into the 5090 with speakers connected to screen and it worked well, but want to control the sound with the VSX LX70, so tried to connect it through there to give a picture onto the 5090 and sound output from the LX70 to speakers.

Any advice please, must be an easy fix?? :lease:

locura
  2. discover

discover Member

Ratings:
    +79
    I know this is going to sound dumb but are you sure the HDMI Out lead is going straight into the 5090 and the LX53 Blu-ray connected to any of the HDMI IN's? You got it on the right input on both sources?
    If so, maybe something to do with your cables?
  3. locura

locura Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks for your reply

Yes there is one HDMI connection to the 5090 on HDMI 1.

I have 2 connections into the XSX LX70 being the Sky HD and the Bluray LX53

When I select the Sky on HDMI 1, it is OK.

When I select HDMI 2 on the VSX LX70 for the Bluray, there is nothing.

Cheers
  4. discover

discover Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Check the video settings on the LX53 menu.
    Tried swapping the Sky & LX53 around to remove hdmi port doubt on the receiver?
  5. locura

locura Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks Discover

I am not finding a way to sort the video settings on the menu! As there are no onscreen displays I presume the info is on the front of LX53? Nothing other than "Menu" and "DVD" showing there!

I have swapped the Sky and LX53 and only Sky works on both inputs so must be the LX53!!

I am about to connect a computer to play my DVDs whilst investigating the situation.

Cheers
  6. locura

locura Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Computer is running OK through the VSX LX70 :mad:
  7. locura

locura Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just changed the "24" disk to a Bluray Harry Potter and actually had a very broken up movie playing, so it looks like the output of the BDP LX53.

OR, as the BDP was running OK into the 5090, perhaps it is the input of the VSX LX70 not accepting the output of the BDP LX53.

A setting up thing??? HELP :lease:
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  8. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +416
    Try setting resolution to 1080i see if that helps....
  9. discover

discover Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Try leave the resolution settings to Auto. Your almost there mate, just tweak around with the Blu-ray Video Out settings.
  10. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +416
    Are you definitely using high speed hdmi cables, sky only requires a standard one.... Hence why I said try 1080i
  11. locura

locura Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi :hiya:

I cannot find anthing on the cables about "High Speed".

I will try to specifically buy one tomorrow.

I still cannot find a menu that works on the front of the Bdp LX53. As no display from this appearing on the 5090 that is all I have!

Thanks

I will continue to look.....:suicide:

Cheers
  12. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Member

Ratings:
    +71
    I don't think High Speed Cables are necessary.

Try resetting the Blu-Ray Player. See your instructions for full details, but turn it into Standby whilst pressing and holding the Stop button.

The next time you power the thing on it will want to go through initial set up procedures as if it was straight from the box.

Answer the questions 'truthfully' (!) and i think all will be well.

R.T.
  13. locura

locura Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to be a pain again!

Does the VSX LX70 not accept some "region" disk input?

It seems strange that I get a very grainy and lined Bluray "Harry Potter" (but without sound), but nothing of the "non Bluray" "24 hours".

Both were playing OK directly into the 5090 plasma !! :(

:lease:
  14. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Member

Ratings:
    +71
    I think you are getting yourself confused.

You start by talking about 'regions' then go on to mention 'non Bluray'.

I take it '24 hours' is on DVD?

Anyway, you need to get a constant 'MENU' screen from the LX53 via the LX70 to the LX5090.
    Try resetting the LX53 as i have said and make sure the initial menu screen is displayed and that the test audio signal is heard.

Once done, the LX53 will play Region 2 DVD's and Region B Blu-rays if you have a UK spec player. If you have Region Hacked the LX53 then it may not work correctly.

R.T.
  15. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +416
    To get hd audio and 1080p you do need a high speed cable but they are available online for a fiver.

If it is an older cable it may not say high speed but 1.3 instead they are the same.
  16. locura

locura Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry BUT I have not been able to achieve a menu screen, only the word "menu" on the LX53 front display panel.

I have resorted to connect the sound only with phono cables to the VSX LX70 and the LX53 direct to the 5090 with HDMI.

I can play the "Harry Potter" BLURAY into the 5090 with HDMI lead and hear the sound through the LX70 but when I change the disk to the "24 hours" DVD there is no picture but sound is OK from the LX70.

This must prove the HDMI lead is OK, but the 5090 is not liking the DVD signal.

The 24 hours DVD has recently (last week) been playing directly into the 5090 when I had speakers attached to it.
    :blush:

Thanks again for all the attempts to help. Must be solveable!!
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  17. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Member

Ratings:
    +71
    So, NO Video signal displayed when 24 Hours is played? With the LX53 connected directly to the LX5090?

Have you tried any other DVD's?

Is there anything special about 24 Hours?

You mentioned 'Region' coding before, is it a US disc? If it is i can't see why no video is being outputted but sound ok, you must have had your LX53 'hacked' if it is indeed a US disc.

I'm a bit stumped, i need to have a think and get back to you..............will get myself a drink and ponder!!

R.T.
  18. locura

locura Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Roger

Thanks for your input to date.

I have tried other "DVD"s and they also do not give a picture on the 5090 either, two DVDs were previously tried last week and worked, so somewhere there must be a change of output on the LX53 to stop DVD but allowing BLURAY.(the computer played "24 hours" into the HDMI on 5090)

The plot thickens !!!!!!!!!

Still no Menu apearing on the 5090 screen.

I hope your drink and ponder works.

Cheers

Richard
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  19. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Member

Ratings:
    +71
    Sorry, the drink didn't help, t'was nice though!!

Can you connect the LX53 differently, ie. via component or just plain old composite, just to see if that is outputting?

If it isn't then............dunno, there must be a setting somewhere that is muting the video on DVD's (but for the life in me i can't think what), if it is then i think a change of HDMI lead is the next move forward, to eliminate that. I don't think it will be the HDMI lead but i think you'll have to go through the motions just to rule it out.

If still no definate conclusions i think maybe a trip to a Pioneer repair centre to ask the thoughts of people with more experience in these things than i.

How old is the unit? Is an exchange from the retailer an option?

R.T.
  20. locura

locura Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Roger

I had 3 phone calls to Pioneer UK today. They assured me the VSX Lx70 should not affect the signal to the 5090.

I did have a menu on-screen 5090 when i connected a video lead (component yellow lead!) from the LX53 to the 5090, this was also suggested as an investigative measure from Pioneer.

I then took out the VSX LX70 and re-connected Sky HD and LX53 direct to the 5090 via HDMI.

Harry Potter ran Ok with an occassional slight drop out of sound. I changed the leads over between the 2 units and both were then OK.

I then tried the menu onscreen and all was OK.

Then I put in the "24 hours" DVD and after a few seconds it played :suicide:

I will leave the set-up like this and am now thinking of selling the VSX LX70 as I have ran out of patience (its an age thing).

Thanks again for all the input from you all.

Richard