Baz Luhrmann's Elvis Presley Biopic (3 June 2022)

Rate Me

• Total voters
Marvel & Trek friendly, pop culture references
2hrs 40min flew past
Loved it, electric
Elvis’ father was the weak point
Really enjoyed that, beautifully shot. Austin was majestic, Emotional rise and fall of the King 9/10

Post credits sound bite only

Last edited:
Great film, as one would expect from Baz Luhrmann. Austin Butler was excellent and Tom Hanks portrayal was as slimy as one would imagine Parker to be.

2 hours 40 minutes - never once noticed the time

For the first time in a long time, some people applauded at the end.

The last few minutes was quite emotional with the real Elvis singing Unchained Melody at the end - the physical wreck but that glorious voice.

I seen it today with my wife, we both loved it, Austin Butler was incredible, I wasn't expecting too much after watching the trailer, one that I would go to he cinema tomorrow again if I could.... As I said to my wife, you know it was a good movie, it only felt like it was on for 1 hour 30.

9/10

I have just got back from the cinema after seeing this in Superscreen with my wife.

Absolutely loved it, and in parts, quite emotional. I think this film has caught lightning in a bottle. The cinematography, costumes, and the superb performances from the two leads......

The best film I've seen all year by a country mile.

I thought this was electric!
Austin Butler has done something really special here, in parts I forgot I wasn’t seeing the real Elvis, feels like he has truly captured the spirit & essence of the King in every way, the dance performances !!! Staggering!
The speaking voice was incredible (& even some singing scenes)
The eyes, the look, the hair, the mannerisms I was absolutely blown away by him in this, he NEEDS to be nominated for an Oscar next year 100% he was sensational & totally carries the film, for me this my most enjoyable film this year & yes I’ve seen Top Gun Maverick…just a personal enjoyment thing please don’t hang me lol 😆
Tom Hanks was veering into Panto territory but he’s too much of a pro to let that get in the way of a hammy performance & I kinda loved it even more for that.
10/10 for me in terms of a bloody good time at the cinema especially considering my last film was JW dominion which was such a slog this absolutely flew by

My first trip back to the cinema for 2.5 years and what a film to mark my return. Absolutely fantastic, even my 2 kids (13 and 16) loved it and stayed still for 2.5 hours without fighting. I made the wise choice of not taking a drink in as I wouldn’t have wanted to miss a moment for any urinary goings on. In fact I would probably have just stayed in my seat and wet myself.

I could easily have walked straight back in to watch it again. But the wife wouldn’t let me.

Hopefully we will get an extended cut on blu-ray in a few months.

Just got back from seeing this, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Austin Butler was excellent throughout and the film was emotional at the end. As others have said the 2hrs 40min flew by and I'm hoping to see it again at the cinema in a week or so. 8.5/10

Saw it tonight in a half full Imax. Have to say, my back certainly felt the run time, but on the whole I thought it was very good.
The first half I found to be all over the place, Luhrmann was in an editing frenzy, once it settled down I got into it more.
Hanks just about stays on the right side of panto villain under all the prosthetics, I wouldn’t say it’s one of his better performances though.
Butler (something I wasn’t convinced by in the trailers) was exceptional, true star is born film for him. He’s the reason to see this film.
8/10

Butler was awesome, one of the great film performances of the century so far. The film starts off frenetic, but once settled down the time just flew by.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to this, but it's definitely a couch potato job for me as most musical films tend to be.

I think this film has caught lightning in a bottle. The cinematography, costumes, and the superb performances from the two leads......
100% agree ... I couldn't help falling in love with this one. This will be a future cult classic!

I'm surprised we haven't had a forum review of this yet. I watched it last week and it was brilliant.. definitely Oscar material, best actor, director, film and even supporting actor. I think this will clear up this year. Up until this point maverick was the best film I'd seen in years but Elvis pips it. Both excellent in their own way. Will be interesting to read a review from one of the reviewers on here.

Incredibly long, incredibly indulgent, and incredibly…incredible! Not 100% sold on Hanks performance, but Baz’ whirlwind direction and an astonishing Austin Butler put this straight into my top ten of the year.
Extremely sad too. What happened to him was awful.
8/10

Elvis actress Shonka Dukureh, AKA: Big Mama Thornton, dies aged 44 one month after big screen debut 😥 RIP.

elvis 1.jpg

‘Elvis’ actor and singer Shonka Dukureh dies at 44

Agree with Lucasking what an incredible film, the story, acting and Baz’s direction made it sort of an addictive watch. I would have definitely gone in to watch again when it was over and I’ll definitely be watching it again soon. Incredible

i wasnt too fussed over this but saw it pop up on itunes yesterday so watched the trailer and its definitely sucked me in!! Will be giving it a run out at the weekend.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom