1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bathroom LCD + Apple TV

Discussion in 'Custom Installations & Installers' started by devs, Feb 24, 2012.

1. devs

devs Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Hi all, I'm in the process of planning a new bathroom and would like to have an lcd mounted behind glass and stream to it via apple TV.

I'm on a budget and wondered if anyone has done anything like this before using Atv2?

Any thoughts on requirements etc would be very helpful.

Many thanks,

Devs ;)
  2. cjwood555

cjwood555 Member

Ratings:
    +107
    Firstly, just get a Tilevision - they're not that expensive for a 19" and have heated glass so you don't have to worry about it steaming up.

Secondly, the apple TV thing should be simple and would probably fit behind a tilevision in its backbox (check dims), but will need wired ethernet as wifi isn't going to work well in an earthed metal enclosure.

Chris
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. devs

devs Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Hi Chris and many thanks for the info mate. I'll take a look at the tilevision's. Like you say the heated glass will be worth the extra spend. Do you know if apple remote will work through the tilevision backbox?

Cheers,

Devs ;)
  4. shortyav

shortyav Member

Ratings:
    +24
    The apple remote wouldnt pass through the TV I dont think. You can use the apple remote app which works fine over wifi on a suitable ios device, however be aware that you may need to use the ir remote to reconfigure sharing for the remote app which may be a pain when the tilevision is beaded in the wall. If you wanted to use ir to control the atv then you could use some sort of ir pass through system eg triax trilink or the like. Alternatively you could keep the atv somwhere else and use a HDMI balun to send the signal. Even if it wasnt in line of sight you could still use the remote app and you would be able to reboot of update via ir and reinstate home sharing. HTH regards Shorty.
  5. cjwood555

cjwood555 Member

Ratings:
    +107
    TileVision has an in-built IR receiver and a 3.5mm mono jack socket on the rear for a standard IR emitter ;)
  6. shortyav

shortyav Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Well you learn something new. Havnt fitted a tilevision for a while did i miss something or have they updated it from the rf2 output? Good feature though.
  7. cjwood555

cjwood555 Member

Ratings:
    +107
    Only done 3 so far and first time I noticed it was last August. RF2 magic eye is still there too, thankfully!

Chris
  8. devs

devs Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Great knowledge shortyav, I really appreciate your input mate. You've given me plently to research for my project.

One last thing that I would like to throw into the mix...

Is there any decent options to bathroom mount an iPad on the market? I had a look via google and didn't really turn anything up but just wanted to double check as if there was that would really suit my needs.

Cheers again,

Devs.
  9. shortyav

shortyav Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi this product could work you.
    Launch Port • The World's First Inductive Charging and Mounting System for iPad
    Not sure if its bathroom mountable and you would need to get power to it somehow power supply plugs in and then powers a wall plate which connects to the induction charging mount. Its fairly new i think and i havnt fitted one or researched thoroughly so youll have to confirm its bathroom friendly. HTH Regards Shorty