Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad motion blur on Samsung D8000

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by MrPeedoffLondon, Apr 7, 2011.

1. MrPeedoffLondon

MrPeedoffLondon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got my D8000 two weeks ago. There is amost constant blocking artifacts and motion bur. I have tried all possible combinations of the anti-blur/judder settings but nothing brings it down to an acceptable level. Has anyone else encountered this problem? None of the reviews suggested this was a problem and I'm wondering if I have a faulty unit? :lease:
  2. kenjolly

kenjolly Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

sorry to hear about your problem - I've had my 55" a week now and I watched the football last night on ITV HD.

No blurring or any issues TBH - I was specifically looking for vertical lines as someone said they had this problem but I really couldn't see any issues (and that was when I was looking really hard to see it).

Sounds like it could be faulty - have youy tried turning off all the digital settings and setting one to Clear (can't remember which one it is now). I think that's what I have.

Cheers.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. MrPeedoffLondon

MrPeedoffLondon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried turning off every process off and on a dozen times in evey conceivable combination and have reset the picture back to factory setting but the TV still gets caught out by the smallest movements of the hand. There is also jerkiness, where sometimes the subject seems to freeze for a split second before resuming. Other isssues are a sort of broad blocky halo that briefly appears around an object. It's all very disconcerting and disaapointing as this tv is a replacement for a six year-old Pioneer plasma, which was only 720p but had no motion tracking issues whatsover. None. not one, ever. Why or why did Pioneer stop making TVs????????????????

I guess I will need to contact Comet.
  4. wastedyuthe

wastedyuthe Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,005
    Have u upgraded to the latest firmware? (v1009.0)
  5. idbirch

idbirch Member

Ratings:
    +30
    What's your source for the problem material? Sky (HD?)/ Freeview (HD?)/ Virgin Cable?
  6. Tony B

Tony B Member

Ratings:
    +11
    You are describing, almost perfectly, the symptoms that my C8000 is displaying, especially the "freeze for a split second" thing.

It is as if a sudden increase in bit rate causes the processing to break down.

I am about to get into argument mode with Samsung/John Lewis, and demand a replacement. I hope I dont jump from frying pan to fire and end up with a D8000 that does exactly the same thing!
  7. MrPeedoffLondon

MrPeedoffLondon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    THANKS SO MUCH WASTEDYUTHE :smashin:. I upgraded the firmware to v1009.0 and it has cured 95% of the blurring, which is acceptable. I have tonight enjoyed watching a movie for the first time since I bought it.

There are still occasional glitches but by and large I'm happy. Phew!!!

Incidentally, for everyone's information the issues affected all sources equally.
    :hiya:
  8. wastedyuthe

Ratings:
    +1,005
    You're most welcome. Of course, Samsung don't issue any release notes at all for their firmware, so we have no idea at all what has been changed/improved until we install it. But if anyone has issues with their set, installing the latest release is always worth a try before sending the tv back. In this case a replacement set most probably would have had the same issues after all.

When my 55D8000 arrives on Monday (hopefully) updating the firmware will be one of the first things I do.
  9. PuntNL

PuntNL Member

Ratings:
    +140
    Have you tried just using the 'clear' mode in motion plus? Because I have the frame skip problem only in the 'custom' motion plus mode.
  10. Fez999

Fez999 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got my 55" D8000 a few days ago and noticed quite severe motion lag/blur when watching football (and Formula 1 today). Immediately after a slow motion action replay the "normal speed" or live action lags or blurs for about a second or so before going back to normal speed. Has anyone else had this problem?

I have also found that without the motion plus set to "on" there is really bad lagging especially on studio based programmes where there is a lot of camera switches to different people. I have found the best setting to virtually cure this is "Clear"

I have tried every conceivable setting and have the latest firmware but no matter what I do I cannot get rid of the sports action reply issue.

This is my fourth Samsung set and I also have a Panasonic and have hardly ever had a screen lagging problem. Why have I noticed this on such an expensive tv which has had almost perfect reviews is it related to screen size? The largest TV I have had prior to this was a 40" Samsung and I have never had any problems whatsoever.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  11. Iranian Giraffe

Iranian Giraffe Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Well I've got a D7000 (after reading about the only difference in the UK being the bezel) and mine pretty much does the same (although not really on football, that just tends to blur when someone is booting the ball to the other end of the field), I also have the latest firmware and have it set to "clear" as well. The problem is that the "clear" setting doesn't work well for everything as I had it on a property programme and the camera did slow panning from the floor upto the ceiling and it was jerky as hell.
    It's frustrating as the pic quality is so much better than my 1 year old Toshiba but with that TV I could just set it to 100htz and all motion was handled fine.
  12. Polysix

Polysix Member

Ratings:
    +22
    this is why you WAIT until 6 months after release for proper testing and user feedback!!!
  13. wastedyuthe

Ratings:
    +1,005
    You're telling the people who are giving that user feedback to wait, so if everyone waits, how can we have user feedback? :rolleyes:
  14. Iranian Giraffe

Iranian Giraffe Member

Ratings:
    +5
    LOL If only you listened to your own advice!!!, I was actually thinking of buying the Toshiba but decided to wait.

15. Polysix

Polysix Member

Ratings:
    +22
    DUH! that's WHY i'm now saying it!!! You live and learn! It's better than spouting my slogan from an position of no experience.

And ftr I fought with the retailer and got a full refund :)

I do not want to have to do that again. So Now I'll wait, and rightly so as VT30 and DXXXX are turning out to have problems that would annoy me for the price they cost :)
  16. Polysix

Polysix Member

Ratings:
    +22
    I'm telling a small amout of 'clued up' people in these threads TO WAIT.

Believe me, if there are problems the 'masses' will come along (new users) and report it. If you are already on this forum you should know better given the track record of these new TVs!
  17. Iranian Giraffe

Iranian Giraffe Member

Ratings:
    +5
    You will wait forever though as like you said there is no perfect TV. My replacement D7000 has arrived and apart from 1 stuck pixel (that can only be seen from less than 2 feet away and on a very dark scene) and a very very small amount of clouding on one small part of the screen which you can only see in the dark on a dark scene then touch wood this TV is almost perfect for me and I'm more than happy with it.
    As far as I'm concerned as long as you buy from a company with decent customer service then you just get it replaced if it doesn't work as well as it should.
    Anyway good luck finding a TV your happy with, I'm hoping that I've just got mine :thumbsup:
  18. Polysix

Polysix Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Believe me, I will wait forever unless the makers stop taking us for mugs. It's only a TV! - they day a TV is released, 6 months later it's getting no reports of serious flaws THEN I will buy it, test it for myself and return it asap if it's not fit for purpose. It's really simple. I'm just not impatient I guess and have a lot going on other than TV even though I love a nice TV for movies/games etc.