Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Babies sleeping on their front

Discussion in 'Parents' Forum' started by kBm, Oct 18, 2011.

1. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,801
    No need to rush them out of it.
    Both of ours were closer to three before they gave up their 'Ning nings' completely (just used them when they were tired/irritable)
    Then we made a big deal about giving them away to the 'Ning Ning fairy' who gives them to the poor children!

:)
  2. Jenn

Jenn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,278
    My son was 2 when his "didy" went.

I was in hospital for a day so it was just him and his dad at home and daddy decided that he'd take the dummy away and that was it.
    I was a bit nervous (and amazed) about it when I came home, expecting a sleepless night. I needn't worry as it was as if he'd never had a dummy before. So thanks to my husband for that :)

Edit: And I was 6 when my mum decided it was time to get rid of the 4 I had.
    The best time is when everyone's ready, no drama, no stress.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  3. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,801
    I absolutely agree, and this applies to loads of other child-related events.
    Far too many parents get into competiton with each other, or feel other outside pressures to get their kids progressing.
    We, on the other hand, have let things move on themselves (to a degree, we don't ignore stuff!)
    So rather than force our kids out of nappies and stress about them wetting themselves, we've waited until they start asking to come out of them.
    Which they do.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  4. Jenn

Jenn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,278
    Same here. Our son actually started to say he didn't want a nappy for his naps because he was a big boy now :)
    Of course you get the couple of accidents at first but then when he decided he didn't want them for the night either, it went smoothly.
  5. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,801
    Yup, more or less the same here.
    Whereas friends of our 'forced' their kids out of nappies and got calls from nursery saying they'd poo'd themselves etc.
    The way I look at it, they all turn up for their first day at school the same.:thumbsup:
    So stuff the competition mindset and/or peer pressure to be the 'first'.
  6. Doug the D

Doug the D Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,194
    My daughter is 5 now, and I only came on this thread, as she did sleep on her front, bum in the air all the time when she was a baby.
    My wife and I didn't have a sensor mat, just a monitor. We didn't feel the need for mats/ video etc...but that was our prerogative, we made and make our own choices so far as our child goes.
    Personally, I didn't use a dummy for my child, but do I judge other parents that do? Nope, none of my damn business.
    To judge others when talking about the rearing of the most precious little person in their lives is a dangerous road to go down IMO.
    I think that if I did it all again though (we've no plans to!) I probably would invest in a mat. I think that they are a good idea, and I get the impression from some in this thread that parents are paranoid for using them. Really? - Surely paranoia shows that they care about their child's welfare (please don't read that as 'if you don't have a mat you're a bad parent')
    Bottom line - each to their own