1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B & W P5 Headphones quick thoughts

Discussion in 'Headphones & Portable Music' started by Plugman, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Plugman

Plugman Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Just bought some P5 phones from Canterbury Hifi for £180 :smashin:. They were factory reconditioned but come with the same 2 year guarantee as new and mine looked unused no marks or anything. Very good sound nice bass and sweet treble really show up good recordings and bad. Sound better through my ipod than the Galaxy S2 (even with Poweramp) must try some lossless recordings to see how that sounds. Very comfortable and built to perfection.They had one pair in stock when I was there yesterday. I did have some Bose QC15's which in my opinion are good for sound insulation and listeniing at low levels higher up and the music becomes far to high pitched the treble is unruly. :thumbsdow
  2. stanley57

stanley57 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hello i know you just got these headphones do they leak sound when you have them at a high volume as i am thinking of getting them to use on public transport
  3. Plugman

Plugman Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry for the delay in replying yes there is very little sound leakage. My only complaints are that the treble is slightly recessed and the bass can get a bit much at times. Generally thought they are very accurate and very very comfortable. Well Pleased :)
  4. stanley57

stanley57 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply im going to get the headphones asap i will be using them on the underground i never seen anyone with them i seen loads of people with the dr dre headphones
  5. mhorton

mhorton Member

Ratings:
    +144
    I've had a pair for a while now and I love them. I have to agree that they do sound different when on a none Apple devise. However they where designed and made for Apple products. I also have a pair of the in-ear C5 which are the same.

They are fantastic headphones enjoy them.
  6. stanley57

stanley57 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have not got a apple product have you tried them on any other mp3 player if so are they as good as the review say.
  7. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy Moderator

Ratings:
    +904
    I've got a pair coming tomorrow. Just come on this section seeing if anyone's bothered to get a headphone amp for theres.
  8. stanley57

stanley57 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello i have not got them yet do you think they would need a headphone amp can you let me know what you think of them once you tried them out please
  9. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy Moderator

Ratings:
    +904
    yep no worries! they've been made to work with the iphone/ipad/ipod but not sure if an amo would take them to the next level!
  10. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy Moderator

Ratings:
    +904
    Spent a few hours with my P5's today very impressed indeed.

Lovely mid range and bass. Just missing that extra little sparkle at the top end but they've only got a few hours time on them so may open up a little more.

Been using them with my iphone 4s.

Certainly more than good enough for what I want and build quality is the best I've ever seen in a headphone including the Sennheiser HD800's!!
  11. stanley57

stanley57 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    whats the volume like on them i want to use them on public transport i have my music a bit to loud i really like to know if they leak sound when on my ears
  12. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy Moderator

Ratings:
    +904
    They go plenty loud enough for pretty much everybody with nice deep bass.

They also fit snuggly on the ears so isolate a lot of outside sound.

They leak a very tiny amount of sound but certainly nothing to really worry anyone about unless in the silent carriage on a quiet train.
  13. stanley57

stanley57 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your reply do you think you would need a headphone amp with them have you tried them them on any other mp3 player
  14. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy Moderator

Ratings:
    +904
    Only tried them on an iphone, ipod and ipad 2. Works perfectly on all of those but apparently they were designed to work with iOS.

A headphone amp may add a little but there very good on there own. I may try adding one eventually but if I make the experience to good I'll end up ditching my hi-fi.
  15. stanley57

stanley57 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks very much for your help i don't have any ios i will get a pair its just i have never spent so much money on a pair of headphones
  16. Arcam_boy

Arcam_boy Moderator

Ratings:
    +904
    If you want to use them out and about as well as at home then I highly recommend them.

If you want ultimate sound quality at going to use them just at home then maybe I'd opt for Sennheisers or AKG with a suitable amp.
  17. Lezman

Lezman Active Member

Ratings:
    +260
    I am looking in to getting a pair of the P5's. Nice treat to myself, I'm a sucker for B&W and would like a nice pair of headphones for the following:

- iPod
    - TV outout (upstairs TV so as not to annoy missus, used for games only)
    - Listening to stuff via the amp in the lounge (Yamaha RX V3900)

I've never really bought decent headphones before so excuse me if these are stupid questions, but would the P5s be a good bet for the above uses?

I know they are made with the iOS in mind, but wondered if they would still be good via both a normal out on a TV and via a decent amp?

Many thanks,
  18. HiFi Headphones

HiFi Headphones Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +78
    The P5 would work OK for listening at home (the pads are nice and soft), but remember they are on-ear and this is nowhere near as comfortable as a full size over-ear headphone.

Also compared to a good full size over ear headphone the P5 does not really compete on performance. A full size over ear like the Beyerdynamic DT880 or GermanMaestro GMP 435 S will outperform the P5 is every respect.

Honestly, I'm not that fond of the way the P5 sounds. Bass is overpowering and the top end is rather dull. It's a headphone that immediately impresses (thanks to the big bass), but lacks the refinement that you would expect at that price point. We'd normally recommend the Beyerdynamic DT 1350.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  19. Lezman

Lezman Active Member

Ratings:
    +260
    Thanks for the response, interesting to hear all the opinions - most people rate the sound but from what I've seen they would agree on the top end.

I haven't heard them yet, my local apple reseller would let me try them.

I probably should add that most the use will be for out and about so am liking the on ear ones a bit more for ease of carrying. The TV use is less important but still useful.

I also looked at the Beyerdynamics but have no idea where to listen to them