AVR500 Information

Dear all,

Here are my results... not much to go on as it's only 30 minutes worth of readings.

This was undertaken with no load... that is nothing was being amplified. Just the TV on and looking at readings.

Time 1 2 3
0 511 499 511
10 470 423 462
15 432 376 423
20 408 359 399
25 398 352 387
30 391 350 382

I shall do a longer run on Saturday, when I get the chance, and welcome your thoughts/feedback.

Pre-emptive thanks,

Jungli

========

Addendum:
Just re-read Rich's post... you don't go below 410 after 7 hours? Oh dear... I've already got to 391/350/382 in half an hour...

This does not bode well.

Jungli

Last edited:
Hi jungli,
Those readings are showing that the amp is running too hot! My old AVR 500 would read similar temps ie around 350 to 380 and the fan would kick in.
Just checked my readings on my present AVR 500 and the lowest is 412 followed by 420 and 430. The receiver has been on for 3 hours.
Give your dealer a call and explain that it is running too hot again.
Who is your dealer?

Last edited:
As stated in an earlier post I get 399, 384, 383 which is very similar ro yours. It's hot to touch but i wouldn't say much different from my old AVR300 and I have never had the fan come on.

Thanks for the quick feedback guys.

Rich - I purchased it from Rayleigh Hifi back in May 2010. So probably now have to go direct to ARCAM.

MTB - Interesting that the on your AVR500 the amp fans don't kick in.

I'll get a longer set of results this weekend and then take up the mantel with ARCAM if there is a problem.

Just can't figure out after why the fans have come on after months of silence.

Jungli

MTB I think the fans kick in when the temp reads nearer 350 as I found with mine. I think you are well within the permitted temp before the fans come on.
Jungli let us know how it goes mate.

Hi all,
just thought i'd report my experiences with my avr500 over the last few months.
I did post a forced reboot issue a few months back, but things have changed.
As it (apparently) turns out, i had a current/power issue. I've hooked the amp on a monstercable powerunit, which fixed this problem intirly, so far (about 2 months since).Iḿ a happy camper as you can imagine :)

I never noticed the fans come on, or at least they didn't make such noise that i could hear it. I must add that my amp is in a closed cabinet, with an open back. The temperature readings are around 350/370 on all 3, but never any issue as said above.

I hope all stays well, as I really enjoy listening to this great musical amp! :thumbsup:

Hi Guys,

After leaving the amp running over a 5 hour period the fans were coming on and off.

temperature readings were

1 - 345
2 - 352
3 - 350

Although what is disconcerting is how quickly it gets to that temperature, from my previous results, which is only a half hour worth of readings.

So... learn-ed ladies and gents...what now... ?

Jungli

Additionally, no load on the amp just left the amp running.

Last edited:
Sorry. Contact Arcam. Thats too hot.

Hi Jungli,
If the fans are coming on then contact your dealer. IMO it sounds like its running too hot as did my old one.
When the fans come on they are too loud and you can hear them.
ARCAM agreed with me on this matter as did my dealer Peter Tyson so the unit was replaced as I only had it for 5 weeks before the problem occurred.

Well... I'll give Arcam a call and see what they say.

Thanks for the input guys.

Will most definately let you know how I get on.

Jungli

Well my AVR500 refuses to output sound when switched on and needs to be switched on and off several times before i hear a click and the speakers work. The dealer wants me to return it to them at my expense even though it's 5 weeks old.

Is that fair?

I have written directly to Arcam to ask their opinion.

Hi Rich,

Most definitely not what I would call customer service... they should arrange to have it collected if it's only 5 weeks old or if you could drop it off that's always better.

My dealer made all the arrangements. However, now that it's more than a year old I'm going direct to ARCAM.

Jungli

Rich,
Your dealer should arrange for free collection and return of your ARCAM. My dealer did and mine was 6 weeks old.
Name and shame the dealer!!! Disgraceful service speak to Arcam.
Jungli,
What have ARCAM said?

Ok finally took the plunge this afternoon and got myself a avr500. How do I tell if it has the latest firmware/software on it and the updates? Box says software 2.5 on it. Yet to fire it up but considered that while I still have my old amp wired up I could ship it straight off to have updates done if required.

Thanks mate so it should be the latest spec right? I see some mention of fans visible which I cannot see but maybe I'm just being over paranoid!

Last edited:
Well it's not been a great start, in and wired up but the remote doesn't seem to work. Anyone got any ideas on something I've maybe overlooked? Also cannot seem to find any temp readings in the secondary menu system?

My 500 does not always respond to the remote. Try switching it off leave for 10 sec and give it a go. I have to do this about once a week. If this doesn't work try a factory reset , explained in manual and very easy to do.
The fan is at the bottom of the unit almost impossible to see I don't even know where the 2nd reported fan is so don't stress.
To get temp readings hold menu button on 500 in for 5 seconds and the engineering menu will appear on the TV. You need to scroll down to see the 3 temp readings. Remember from cold it reads 500 so the lower the number the hotter the unit.

Thanks buddy found my temp readings was just being blind! I tried what you said still haven't got the remote to operate. Didn't worry about it to much as I use a harmony 1100 however I can't get this to operate with it either! Going to have to give them a call I suspect. Not a great start. Sounds as good as I'd hoped though so big thumbs up!

Persevere. It is an awesome receiver and I know there are quirks but stick with it and for the money they are being sold for a give away. I would have been over the moon if I had paid full price @ £2500!!!!!
Let us know how you get on.

Rich,
Your dealer should arrange for free collection and return of your ARCAM. My dealer did and mine was 6 weeks old.
Name and shame the dealer!!! Disgraceful service speak to Arcam.
Jungli,
What have ARCAM said?

Arcam have said must be returned to the dealer. No replacements as discontinued six months ago (i didn't think it was that long).

Not a happy bunny to be honest!

Get it back to the dealer tell them they have to arrange collection and return. Quote sale of "goods act".
Maybe ARCAM have now run out of AVR 500 stock but they will be able to fix it. Make sure you you fill out the 5 year ARCAM warranty that came in the box or register it online.

Hi Rich,

Spoken with ARCAM on Friday and they told me it sounds like it needs another replacement part, which the gentleman said they would source from the AVR600.

Which makes sense... if the AVR500 parts don't work correctly then substituting with AVR600 parts should cure the problem.

Waiting for him to get back to me.

The remote has never given me any problems and I use an IR repeater. Can only suggest duracells and resetting the remote too. In case it's got other codes in it.

With regards to spotting the fans the best way to see them is placing a white piece of paper underneath the amp at the front and peering over the grills on top. You'll see two fans side by side.

I only know this because my amp floats on the shelving bars and I have a clear view all the way down. I'll post a pic if you'd like to see.

Will keep you updated on how I progress.

Jungli

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom