Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVI file play on Humax HDR FOX-T2 HD PVR

Discussion in 'PVRs' started by hascott, Dec 13, 2010.

1. hascott

hascott Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have set up my Humax HDR FOX-T2 HD PVR on a network and can access media files on a server.

I find that a number of files are either not visible or cannot be played:

I discover that I MUST have first selected the appropriate media type in order to have visibility of files in network folders. Video files are not seen if MUSIC media is first selected. Is that intended behaviour?

.avi files are visible (after first selecting VIDEO media), but the Humax reports that the file type is not supported. Are there a number of .avi standards that I should be aware of - should I consider file conversion to a playable file format

for that matter - exactly WHICH file formats are supported for play on this PVR?

likewise with MUSIC media selected, my .m4a files are not visible on the network - so are probably not supported.

Four questions. Can anyone shed any light on thise issues, for me please?
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,104
    AVi is not a standard it's a container and can be used with a myriad of video/audio standards including uncompressed video which generates massive files.
  3. dazzlingdaz

dazzlingdaz Member

Ratings:
    +89
    Install TVersity (its free) on your server and use that to stream the files to the Humax - it will transcode many of the files on the fly that wont play natively on the Humax allowing them to play.
  4. hascott

hascott Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds like I need to read up about .AVI containers. Thanks.
    I will also look at TVersity.
    Does anyone know where there is a list of files that play natively on the Humax? I haven't spotted it in their specs.
  5. JohnOF

JohnOF Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Hascott,
    I have a Humax HDR Fox-T2 that is networked by cat5e to my home network.
    How did you manage to get your HDR to access the PC? All I get is "No server". Humax tell me to "Share" on the PC using WMPlayer, but it can not find the Humax to share with!
    John.

6. hascott

hascott Member

Ratings:
    +1
    JohnOF,
    My network is unlikely to be the same as yours. (I have a Domain Server)However in reply:

I assume you have the latest Firmware for your Humax. If so, the response you describe would be as a result of pressing the PORTAL button? Correct?

Like any network, the devices need to have IP addresses assigned. This is normally done automatically by default. The Humax has an appropriate network setting. In addition, one device on the network needs to be capable of assigning IP addresses. It must be a DHCP controller.

Assuming all the above, Windows Media Player has the capability to share its playlists. Make sure you have the latest version and Click 'Stream/ Automatically allow devices to play my media'

I hope that points you in the right direction.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2011
  7. JohnOF

JohnOF Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hascott,
    The HDR has the latest firmwave installed; downloaded from Humax and installed from USB.
    The TV Portal works fine.
    It's when I try to connect to the PC to view photos by selecting the Network instead of the HDD that I get the error message. The HDR is 192.168.1.64.
    My version of WMPlayer is v11, but I can not see a "Stream/ Automatically allow devices to play my media" option.
    I also have McAfee Home Protect which is blocking my netbook from accessing My Documents unless I disable the Firewall. Disabling the Firewall has no effect on the Humax error.
    John.
  8. hascott

hascott Member

Ratings:
    +1
    John,
    OK I'm running WMP V 12, but nevertheless if you cannot see the menu I am pointing you at, I suggest you enter 'Library View' - perhaps by selecting the three square 'boxes and an arrow' logo at top RH corner of the window - assuming you are in 'Now Playing' View.
    Any help?
  9. brookheather

brookheather Active Member

Ratings:
    +891
    Or try installing a different media server such as TVersity or Mezzmo.
  10. hascott

hascott Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Agreed. However WMP will work OK!
  11. JohnOF

JohnOF Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hascott,
    Out of interest my WMP is v11.0.5721.5280 and when I try to update it I am told that I have the latest version.
    I attach screen shot of the top of my WMP as I am unsure what I should be changing.
    John.

Attached Files:

• WMP.jpg
      WMP.jpg
      Size:
      141.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  12. hascott

hascott Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm running Windows Media Player v12.0.7601.17514. on Windows 7 O/S. A quick web search seems to indicate the V12 is provided with Windows 7 and not as a sepatete download fom Microsoft.
    If you are running XP or Vista, V11 may well be the latest version. It looks like media streaming is first introduced with V12.
    There are some websites offering a V12 download - but not AFAIK, Microsoft - so beware!
    TVersity or Mezzmo have been suggested if you are not Windows 7. I have tried TVersity and that seemed to work well for me, but I reverted to WMP as I try to keep my installations to a minimum to avoid clutter!
    Best of luck!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. darucla

darucla Member

Ratings:
    +42
    An alternative server might be Serviio, which seems quite easy and unobtrusive. You do have to leave it for some time after install to find all the media though.

I can't remember whether in Vista there is a Network and Sharing option, accessed by clicking on the connection icon in the tray. If there is there should be a media sharing section.

If it is done via WMP, the following is from Share your media in Windows Media Player with other people or devices