Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVForums World Exclusive: JVC DLA-HD350/HD750 thread. owners/reviews/etc

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by Phil Hinton, Aug 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton Editor Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,358
    [​IMG]
    On a cold and rainy summer’s day – hasn’t that been true for the entire summer? - AVForums were invited to attend a special ‘secret’ launch event for project Andromeda. No, not a space launch as the name might suggest, but rather the code name for JVC’s new DILA projectors and their first unveiling to the UK’s AV Press.

AVForums was granted exclusive access to the new projector on show for the day, the DLA-HD350 which will sit just above the DLA-HD1 in the JVC range. I was allowed to film and play with this one of a kind engineering sample to see what new features JVC had added and what the performance would be like. I have to say that no other member of the press got such a close and detailed look – so AVForums members are getting the exclusive.

Let’s get the main details out of the way. There is a full 10 minute video featuring the DLA-HD350, its menu system and an interview with Steve Carter, on the AVForums.TV video page HERE.

There will be two models added to the JVC HD world line up this year, the high level entry is the HD350 and the new premium model will be the HD750. The companies existing models will stay as they are, and are not being discontinued. So the full line up will look like this;
    • DLA-HD1
    • DLA-HD350
    • DLA-HD100
    • DLA-HD750

Both models (350 and 750) feature new high dispersion lens assemblies which it is claimed improves detail levels and stops unwanted light from escaping the optics system. Added to this is a new fully remote controlled lens shift assembly with the added benefit of a keystone adjustment for awkward installation positions and a remote focus function. There is also a lens appature control for adjusting the brightness according to the environment the projectors will be used in.

The main features that I wanted to see added to the JVC projectors were full colour temperature adjustment and a colour management system. Thankfully both models now come with the colour temperature and full gamma controls which should allow for accurate set up of the greyscale. Only the high end DLA-HD750 will feature the fully 3D colour management (RGBCYM) controls for the primary and secondary colours. I found it a little disappointing that the DLA-HD350 won’t have this feature, especially given that much cheaper models already come with this feature on board, and certainly most of the JVC’s competition; from the likes of Epson, Panasonic and Sony also have this. I get the feeling the ball may have been dropped again by JVC in not realising how important the enthusiast and custom install market find these options. Indeed the one complaint I have always had with the JVC machines (and forgave as they were MK1 variants) was the large gamut and no way to get it looking accurate. At least the high end model will have this feature, so maybe next year with enough nagging and prodding we can have it at all price levels.

[​IMG]

The other slight worries for me, (before seeing the model in action) were the claims of an even wider colour gamut in these new models. How much more green error does JVC want to give us! But thankfully I can relax as the out of the box settings and resultant picture quality was not bad at all.
    Other new features for these models are fully redesigned menu screens which are easy to navigate and a new remote control. There is also now a full onscreen gamma correction system which allows separate RGB adjustment as well as preset options.
    [​IMG]

Another big change for both new models is the inclusion of the silicon optix HQV Reon VX processor. This is stated as improving the picture processing over the older models and includes 10 bit 4:4:4 signal processing as well as a number of noise reduction options. Regulars will know that I rated the Mitsubishi HC6000 very highly in a recent review for its processing power, and it should be interesting to see how these new JVC model look in this regard.

Another welcome feature available on both the HD350 and HD750 is the V stretch mode for use with an anamorphic lens. I also understand that we may see a new lens assembly unit for use with both projectors, like that featured in our recent report on the HD100. You can see a video of that HERE.

And finally the biggest, most noticeable improvement to the new DILA machines is the actual case design. It’s more compact and slimmer than the older machines and the gloss black finish also adds an air of designer chic. The size of the unit looks much more manageable and wife friendly (almost identical to Sony’s VW60) and the new electronic lens cap is also a nice new feature.

The picture performance was a hard area to accurately judge at this point. The machine being used was an engineering sample so it wouldn’t be fair to try and give a complete opinion in picture terms. I also didn’t have any test equipment with me to try and sneak some readings of the gamut, but Steve Carter did have discs which I use as reference points in reviews. This proved to be quite useful and as the other members of the press were still travelling to the event, I took the time to catch some of the best known scenes from the HD DVD and DVD discs there.

Feeding the HD350 with DVD at 576i provided the most pleasing playback image I have seen for a while on an HD projector. The upscaling from the HQV processing provided a clean and detailed image with excellent gradation in chapter 15 of the Gladiator DVD. Blu-ray and HD DVD also looked very clean and noise free with clips from Fifth Element and Transformers. As you would expect black levels were very good indeed and there was the usual 3D picture depth we have become used to with JVC’s projectors. However as with previous models the gamut could do with taming slightly but as I didn't have time to try and play with the settings I will reserve judgement for our review sample when it arrives.

The DLA-HD350 is slated as being available in October, with the DLA-HD750 following on in November but at this moment there are no prices yet known. However, as the HD350 will sit between the HD1 and HD100 that should give you a good idea of where it’s likely price will be. As for the DLA-HD750, it’s going to be above the HD100, we just don’t know how high yet.

You can see a full video of the new projector and an interview with Steve Carter HERE.

I will also update this thread when we get pricing and more details or further info I pick up at IFA where this projector will be officially launched in a few hours time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • Thanks Thanks x 10
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  2. crimsoneagle

crimsoneagle Member

Ratings:
    +83
    Wowsers lookin very good and great questions Phil!!
    Seems as though JVC are listenin to the customer always a good sign... :thumbsup:
  3. gandley

gandley Active Member

Ratings:
    +293
    Full CMS on the HD750. awesome.
  4. Phil Hinton

Ratings:
    +5,358
    Thanks for the comments guys.
  5. Rich H

Rich H Member

Ratings:
    +207
    Phil,

This Canadian thanks you for the terrific scoop!

I was going to buy the RS2/HD100 but among other things was annoyed JVC only motorized the zoom and not the lens shift. As someone interested in employing a zoom/variable image size this frustrated my plans. So I'm very happy to see everything now motorized in the new models you've previewed. Now the addition of a CMS for the HD750, quieter, brighter...Yahoo!

Couple of questions:

1. I know you haven't had a long look at the new models, but do you think we can actually expect any practical, visible increase in clarity, vs the previous models, per the JVC claims of a re-designed lens assembly for the new HD350/750?

2. The JVC rep, in the video, mentioned a new "aperture" feature. A number of enthusiasts have wanted a variable aperture to make the JVC even more flexible in terms of light output and achieving the black levels/contrast they desire. Is this such a feature? Sounds like it is, but the comment that the aperture is useful for settings "depending on what environment you are watching in" hints at some sort of pre-sets or coarse settings for the aperture.

3. It's surprising to see from some leaked spec sheets that the HD750 is actually rated brighter than not only the RS2/HD100, but even the RS1/HD1.
    Did you find out if JVC stands by those new brightness specs and if so how it was achieved? I haven't heard that JVC is using a different bulb and some folks are speculating the greater brightness could have been achieved via the new light engine/processor and/or new lens assembly. Others have wondered if it's due to a variable aperture/iris, in which case it might suggest the HD750
    would only achieve it's rated contrast in a lower setting (hence, off-setting the apparent gains of the higher brightness spec).

Your comments are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich H
  6. Jackass

Jackass Member

Ratings:
    +51
    Great scoop Phil :)

Why have JVC put the connection on the side, I can't for the life of me what benefit this has apart from making the unit smaller maybe in length???

It s not going to make the install tidy thats for sure :confused:
  7. Avi

Avi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,088
    Maybe to allow intstallation closeer to a back wall whilst still allowing cable access.

AVI
  8. rigman

rigman Active Member

Ratings:
    +14
    This is one of the things that annoys me with my HD1 and I have had to buy angled connectors to allow it to sit as close as possible to the back wall. I wish mine had side connectors as life would have been much easier.

That HD750 looks good looks like it will be upgrade time again :D
  9. tryingtimes

tryingtimes Active Member

Ratings:
    +557
    Thanks very much Phil. Interesting reading.
    It really does seem that JVC have been listening, which is great to see.
  10. Avi

Avi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,088

If JVC is listening any chance of frame blanking to reduce the perception of motion smear ?

Does the new lens improve chromatic aberration at the outer edge of the image area compared to the HD1/HD100 ?

AVI
  11. ReTrO

ReTrO Member

Ratings:
    +59
    The new aperture is a manual setting iris, rather than the auto one employed by Sony.
    What it allows you to do is set your light output level, a good use is to get the correct light level across a wide range of screen sizes. For example the light output of the HD1 is too high on smaller screens even on the lower lamp setting. This aperture will allow you to lower the total light level to make the image more accurate.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Rich H

Rich H Member

Ratings:
    +207
    That's what I was hoping. Hopefully the gradations available are not too coarse.
    I just had a feeling from the marketing speak like it could be a limited choice of "day," "evening" and "night" or something similar.
  13. tryingtimes

Ratings:
    +557
    I agree that this sounds great if it's what's you suggest.
    It removes the need for filtering AND should increase contrast ratio.
    Assuming that the 30,000:1 CR is measured at the quoted lumens, it could mean much higher CR numbers for those wanting only 500 lumens for example.

It could also mean it can push out far more lumens when required (at the expense of CR).

Manual irises are a very good thing :thumbsup:
  14. Rich H

Rich H Member

Ratings:
    +207
    Yes, it would be great to vary the light output, for instance have it lower if you want for deeper blacks, without resorting to ND filters which are a pain and take a toll on ANSI contrast.

I like the auto-lens cap feature too! There's just a number of major and minor features on the HD750 that are great to have. And virtually every quibble I had about purchasing the RS2 (e.g. no color management, no automated lens shift) has been answered in the HD750. I'm very intrigued about JVC's claims of a sharper image with the new lens assembly too. It would be great to see that born out when people get a chance to compare the new models against the old.

In terms of performance/features...and presuming one likes the LCOS/DLA "look".... the HD750 is about as close to the perfect projector at a reasonable price that I've seen.

I sure hope it's available within a couple months. My HT project can only wait so much longer....
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  15. tryingtimes

Ratings:
    +557
    So do we expect the HD750 to be £4999 and the HD100 drop to £3999?
  16. Avi

Avi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,088
    I know JVC say all model remain current but that's a pretty crowded line-up over a small price band. If the new product doesn't come on line for a couple of months then it wouldn't be a good idea to say the HD1/HD100 is discountinued now I guess.

AVI
  17. Phil Hinton

Ratings:
    +5,358
    Guys,

Got another huge scoop today with a private demo of the 4K2K projector and the man behind it telling me all (no camera interview though).

AND, I was handed the remote control for the DLA-HD750 to test out its CMS features.

You can see both in the next IFA 2008 video due soon. (As soon as I get it edited!!)
  18. Richard Lemesle

Richard Lemesle Member

Ratings:
    +1
    If you take a look to the avforums video, you'll see at about 2:25 the picture adjust menu with the lens aperture at the value of "3".

This means the range is not "day","evening" and "night" but it is numerical so it can be wider.

Richard.
  19. GaryB

GaryB Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,119
    It's 3 steps on the HD350 and 16 steps on the HD750.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  20. Richard Lemesle

Richard Lemesle Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Interesting !

3 is not a very good news for the HD350.

What's your source for that ?

Richard.
  21. tryingtimes

Ratings:
    +557
    Hi Gary - at last the silence is broken :)
    Can you comment on the range of adjustment and it's effect on lumens/CR?
    Are those details available yet?
    For example - the 30,000:1 CR on the HD750 - is that measured at the same settings as the 800 quoted lumens?
    If not, can you give more details?
    Basically for my needs, I'm wondering if I can get more on/off CR at the expense of Lumens (which would be too many for me at 800).

Cheers
    tt

(BTW Richard - Gary works for JVC)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. Richard Lemesle

Richard Lemesle Member

Ratings:
    +1
    +1

:oops:

I must come more often on avforums :)

Thanks to you two.

Richard.
  23. GaryB

GaryB Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,119
    These are so new that I've only seen one working briefly (at the Silverstone launch) and I'm on holiday at the moment so I don't have the latest info.

Assuming the figures I got at the Planning Meeting a while back haven't changed, the range of adjustment will be between 50-100% of maximum power, i.e. the lowest aperture setting will be 50% of maximum power.

As far as I know, the CR is measured at maximum output.

Hopefully I'll have a sample soon, so I'll be able to give more details once I've had a play.
  24. tryingtimes

Ratings:
    +557
    Thanks Gary - have a good holiday.
    Hopefully people will go to CEDIA armed with these kind of questions too.
  25. millerwill

millerwill Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Boy, 16 steps: goodbye, and good riddance to ND filters!
  26. X3ELS

X3ELS Member

Ratings:
    +110
    I am off on Wednesday and have my meetings booked with the JVC chaps :) looking forward to a proper look at this, i have a new cinema with a projector sized whole to fill.....
  27. tryingtimes

Ratings:
    +557
    Nice one - dig deep for us :)
  28. X3ELS

X3ELS Member

Ratings:
    +110
    I shall, the interesting thing that no-one seems to have mentioned (I haven't read the whole us thread though) is the cinemotion logo on the 750, i believe this to be effectively the same as the Sony motionflow algorithm (i.e. black frame insertion) if so this will be an awesome PJ.
  29. mikeaitch

mikeaitch Member

Ratings:
    +53
    I resisted the step up to the HD100 without too much trouble.

In a way i want my arm twisted this time.....

Not a fan of side inputs though
  30. Avi

Avi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,088
    It's not the logo from the Cinemotion website that broke the photos is it ? :D

AVI
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.