Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVForums team provide consultancy service to Panasonic

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Stuart Wright, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright AVForums Founder Staff Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +6,918
    With the UK 2011 Panasonic TV product line being launched at their Convention, it seems that now is an appropriate time to break the news that in 2009 we went to Panasonic's UK HQ to provide a consultancy service to a room full of their top TV product people.
    We were invited to detail our review process, calibration process, and to suggest how we thought Panasonic could improve their TVs.
    Our combination of qualified and experienced reviewers, scientific TV review process and access to the feedback of the UK's largest TV enthusiast forum puts us in a unique position to provide manufacturers with the most insightful advice.

We are delighted to see that Panasonic have implemented many features we recommended in to their new TVs including a full 3D CMS. This will give Panasonic TV owners the capability to produce the best picture results.
    Not only that but our review sponsors SpectraCal and Panasonic have cooperated to provide a unique feature in Panasonic's new TVs which enables owners (and dealers) to, with the use of an inexpensive probe, use SpectraCal's CalMAN software to automatically calibrate the TV with the press of a single button. We will be describing this process in forthcoming reviews of the new Panasonic TVs.

While we are obviously delighted to see Panasonic implementing the features we want to see, we have no bias towards any manufacturer and offer our consultancy service to all who want it.
    Interested manufacturers should contact us for more details.
    • Thanks Thanks x 7
  2. JamesBaby

JamesBaby Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Wow that is quite simply an awesome achievement!! :clap:

Listening to your customers. This is the kind of thing that distinguishes brands, and can put a manufacturer on top. :smashin:

Cant wait to see it's implementation.

Well done to AVF.
  3. emporer

emporer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,623
    So what happened with last years sets then? Awful 50hz proccessing and floating blacks, I was so disapopinted with my VT20, having sold my 5 year old PV500 to get the VT20 it was a huge step back in my opinion, yes the 3D was good but in every other area it was awful and worse than my 5 year old set. Not what i'd call Panasonic listening to customers, having been a long time Panasonic customer that episode left me with a foul taste and even though lots of people complained they did absoultely nothing about it, even at CES last month when confronted with the 50hz issue they still wouldn't admit and say its been resolved so I fully expect this years sets to be just as flawed.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie New Member

Ratings:
    +1,459
    Greyscale calibration was included on the UK model, and all models got Colour Management controls and a choice of Gamma curve selection.

Concerns about 50hz and floating blacks are more recent. Do remember to consider it in context: in 2009, it was the inaccuracy of the picture that people were most upset about with Panasonic TVs.
  5. abbo

abbo Member

Ratings:
    +127
    I couldn't disagree with you more!
    Having just sold my Sony 40Z4500 LCD after a year of constant tweaking of the picture settings and never getting it good, I have now bought a 50V20 (not even slightly interested in 3D).
    The picture quality simply blows all other's (especially LCD/LED) out of the water!
    I have no flickering.
    The black level's are stunning.
    A friend who own's a Pioneer 5090 begrudgingly says the black levels and colour are better than his :D
    GO PANASONIC :clap::clap::clap:
  6. Stephen Carter

Stephen Carter AVF Games Reviewer

Ratings:
    +418
    This is good to hear, shows how strong the site is and how we are moving from strength to strength. Hopefully we can see more of these types of Q&A sessions with other types of brands/manufacturers and make changes to products we care about for the better and improve ours and others experiences with them. Good work guys :)
  7. golden phoenix

golden phoenix Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,433
    this is amazing news, so im wondering whether i should wait a year and the VT40 Avforums special edition instead of a VT30

with this new arrangement, im wondering when the VT30 will be up for review! hopefully it will be sooner rather than later!
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  8. Mark Hodgkinson

Mark Hodgkinson Reviewer & News Writer Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,381
    Phil will be reviewing the VT30 as soon as is possible
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  9. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright AVForums Founder Staff Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings: