Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVForums Squeezebox Touch discussion thread Pt.II

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by amcluesent, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crocodile

Crocodile Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,752
    Put it this way, if in the last few years you had been given a Boom, Duet, Radio (with battery) & a Touch all for free & were in line to receive any future products also free, would you squeal? :D

I'm curious as to what benefit USB out could offer?
  2. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +920
    Last edited: May 28, 2011
  3. formbypc

formbypc Member

Ratings:
    +103
    From original setup, SB Touch connected wirelessly to my network, found music folder on PC, and played music from folders without issue.

I tried an SD card with music files, and had to start SB server on the touch itself to read the SD card. This worked fine, so I ejected the SD card and tried to read from the PC folder again. No matter what I do, it won't find the folder or PC.

It connects to my network, plays internet radio without problem, but won't find the music folder

SB Server is running on the PC. I've restarted the PC, and also used the Restore Factory Settings on the SB Touch, to no avail

Any ideas before I contact Logitech Tech Support?
  4. Crocodile

Ratings:
    +2,752
    I don't use the inbuilt server but isn't there an option in the menus to switch library or similar? I'm pretty sure it won't auto-switch back to SBS just by ejecting the SD card.

Edit
    Home menu > My Music > Switch Library?
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  5. formbypc

formbypc Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Tried that. It leads to a screen that says, roughly;

"To access My Music, ensure that SB Server is running on a PC on the network"

Which it is.....
  6. Crocodile

Ratings:
    +2,752
    Maybe temporarily disable any firewall & anti-virus on the server PC in case an update had blocked the required ports.
    Do you have another PC/web enabled device that can access SBS via it's web interface?
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  7. formbypc

formbypc Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Sorted.

Re-boot PC, re-boot wireless router, and back to normal again.....

Ain't technology great?
  8. osullivj35

osullivj35 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am looking at getting a wi-fi radio that can play my files on my external HD. It looks like the squeezebox touch might be the one to go for.

I am a bit concerned about the external HD, have people had much trouble connecting to it. I have a variety of files not just mp3's on the HDD

Thanks
    J
  9. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +920
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  10. castalla

castalla Member

Ratings:
    +26
    I've searched and googled ... no defintive answers ...

Is it possible to Play ALL albums via the Touch - or must each album be added to a playlist?

Cheers
  11. nacmacfeegle

nacmacfeegle Active Member

Ratings:
    +914
    "You certainly need a powered-caddy for the drive"
    This is certainly true if you want to avoid any risk of things not playing nice, but I've had success with a variety of USB powered drives (Toshiba and WD amongst others), and am currently using a cheapo generic 2.5" USB powered caddy, which even came with a separate USB power adaptor cable (implying that it needs two USB ports to drive it). FWIW I recall it was a 'Star Tech' caddy from t'bay.
    This is probably down to good fortune rather than any 'engineering' on my part, to be honest.:cool:

Castalla..
    "Is it possible to Play ALL albums via the Touch" Yep, I'm pretty sure it is, all albums in the collection or by specific artist, I'd need to check the actual mechanisms involved. Method of selecting this may also vary depending on whether you are using a local Touch Sever or an external server, its deffo possible using a plugin running on an external server.
  12. Ben Jammin

Ben Jammin Member

Ratings:
    +127
    OMG i am an idiot!!! My gf just picked up the remote and pressed 5 to skip to artists beginning with letter J. I had no idea you could do that! Been scrolling through entire music collection like an IDIOT. lol!
  13. Peter Galbavy

Peter Galbavy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    :)

But note that once you have hundreds of artists/albums etc. then some buttons will do nothing or skip over letters (like an old phone, press a key multiple times to scroll through the letters on the label) until the Touch has cached the names.

Also, the buttons do not work in all modes and at all levels. You cannot, for example, select an artist and then select a specific album with the keys. Or was that specific track? I forget.
  14. MI55ION

MI55ION Active Member

Ratings:
    +599
    Well not sure if it would even work this way but I have a USB Asynchronous DAC and I want something like a SB unit to stream music into it.. The main question that come to mind and something I require confirmation on is whether such a device would be compatible with the asynch protocol. As for benefit, well I believe I have found the holy grail of digital interface with USB Asynch and my DAC. Sure I could continue to use foobar2000/asio4all Along with a laptop but the user interface and ipad/phone apps are not as user friendly as ipeng/SB remote.
  15. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +920
    >Well not sure if it would even work this way but I have a USB Asynchronous DAC and I want something like a SB unit to stream music into it.<

See the link in post #122

IIRC the Stereophile article on using the Touch USB as output was to an QB-9 Ayre DAC which is aync.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  16. MI55ION

MI55ION Active Member

Ratings:
    +599
    I must have missed it, cheers.

It's a long thread, I'll read the lot and then decide if the touch is worth buying.
  17. Magic Beans

Magic Beans Member

Ratings:
    +49
    I've been doing some reading recently and it would seem that the way to SBT audio nirvana is to output via USB, into an asynchronous HD DAC.

Has anybody tried this and done some comparisons?

I'm impressed with the SBT so far and have performed all the software tweaks, with noticeable improvements. However i'm considering the next step and an external DAC seems to be the way forward (currently coax out into the AV9). Although it's deciding the best direction to go; good legacy DAC (DAC64 etc) and moderate modern HD capable DAC (rDAC etc)?
  18. redmarkred

redmarkred Member

Ratings:
    +82
    Before I go and purchase a Squeezebox Touch can someone confirm 2 things for me:

1. That I can use Spotify though the Touch without having to have my PC on.
    2. That I can stream internet radio through the Touch without having my PC on.

Many thanks :)
  19. Crocodile

Ratings:
    +2,752
    Yes (Premium only) & yes.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. formbypc

formbypc Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Used the SB Touch a few days ago to play back from Music Folder, finished doing so, and put it into Standby.

Returned a few days later and wanted to listen to Internet Radio - this had disappeared from menu(s) - spent a frustrating 5 mins going around every menu, it was nowhere to be found, so did a Factory Reset, and on restart, Internet Radio was back!

Anyone had the same experience?
  21. redmarkred

redmarkred Member

Ratings:
    +82
    Amazon have the Squeezebox Touch back in stock for £204.99! :)
  22. UrbanBumpkin

UrbanBumpkin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Pixmania have the Squeezebox Touch on for £187 delivered.
  23. recruit

recruit Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chaps, not sure if this has been asked before but I have a WD My Book World Edition, the original ethernet version, now can I use that with the SBT similar to using it like NAS, I have about 500gig of music on there and would like to use it if possible but can purchase something else if I really have to?
  24. fullerms

fullerms Member

Ratings:
    +2
    You would need a squeezebox server. Not sure if your WD can run it. If it cannot, either upgrade to a NAS which can run squeezebox server or buy a plug computer and run squeezebox server on it.

Lookup sheevaplug or Tonido plug on Google.
  25. formbypc

formbypc Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Same symptoms again in the last day or so. Internet Radio option disappeared from Home Menu, and restored to it by a factory reset ...
  26. redmarkred

redmarkred Member

Ratings:
    +82
    I have just got my Squeezebox touch! Very pleased with it so far. :)

Can anyone answer some questions concerning the Spotify App.

1. Sometimes the Spotify app seems to be unable to retrieve my Spotify playlists and comes up with a timeout message quite quickly. Is there a setting where you can change how quickly it times out?

2. Is there any way to add tracks to your Spotify playlists on the Touch. You only seem to be able to add a track to your favourites!!!!

27. cloudnine

cloudnine Member

Ratings:
    +20
    My squeezybox is coming next week and am after a compatible USB harddrive.. im sure ive seen a link to devices but now can't find it... Any recommendations of drive or link to list?? Thanks
  28. nacmacfeegle

nacmacfeegle Active Member

Ratings:
    +914
    Squeezebox Touch - USB Compatibility - SqueezeboxWiki
    :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. cloudnine

cloudnine Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks.. just arrived unexpectedly and took me about 10mins from getting it out of the box to connecting it to my amp, getting a usb stick in it and getting it playing. It must be some kind of record for me. Im just about to re-rip my cd collection from scratch and was unsure whether to put it all on my laptop then onto a usb HDD or whether to get one of these.. 1Tb Music Server CD/DVD rip - Squeezebox Sonos & DLNA on eBay (end time 10-Jul-11 17:39:58 BST)
  30. fullerms

fullerms Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Go for the music server. Though the squeezebox touch works with a usb drive, it's a real PITA to use it that way.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.