Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVForums Squeezebox Touch discussion thread Pt.II

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by amcluesent, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stuart2

stuart2 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks for that. I couldn't find the links amongst all of the many posts!
  2. dudeeg

dudeeg Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry if this topic was already discussed in the past, but maybe since then the users have more experiences regarding SB+NAS:
    I would like to buy a NAS that works fine with the SB Touch. I know that the cheap ones are not really good solutions because of the slow response/web interface handling etc.
    Is there someting like a general opinion which NAS should be chosen?
    I was thinking about Synology DS111 (this is the upper price limit for me), or maybe a QNAP would be better, or maybe another brand? It should be important to me to be as quiet as possible, I can only put the NAS in the same room where I listen to the music.

Also, could you explain me what does it mean if a NAS doesn't have the wake-on-lan feature? Does it mean if it goes to standby after a while then it will not be able to start again without pressing a button or stg like that?

Thanks for the help!
  3. Crocodile

Crocodile Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,788
    Have a look here & here.

Yes, WOL is requires to wake the NAS from standby/sleep when a Squeezebox is woken from standby. I would have thought it would be nigh impossible to buy a NAS without that feature but not something I've ever researched.
  4. dudeeg

dudeeg Member

Ratings:
    +1
    So, it seems that I have to spend more that I planned, because I'd like to have this WOL thing.
    But to be honest, I don't get then the point of 'stand-by' mode.
    Some more questions (sorry if they are silly)
    - what is the point of stand-by mode? why not then it switches off totally after a time if there is no way to wake it up again from outside?
    - can the device spin down the disk, but no to go to stand-by, or the stand-by _is_ the spin down?

I've read the forums that you linked, thanks for that. But in the end, I have now more doubts and not decision :) What I know that I don't want vortexbox for the Touch. Right now I'm considering to buy a QNAP-TS119P+.
    Short spec:
    Marvell 6282 1.6GHz
    512MB DDRIII RAM
    WOL

Would it be sufficient for the SB? It has already higher cost that I wanted to spend, but still lot cheaper than a vortexbox

Thanks for the help
  5. Crocodile

Ratings:
    +2,788
    I'm really not qualified to answer & your questions would probably be better posted on the "What NAS" thread I linked to.

Like I said before though, I'd be really surprised if you could buy a NAS today that doesn't support WOL. Maybe it's just not referenced in the specs you're looking at?

That QNAP "should" be fine but again I have no experience.

Just for info, the Vortexbox software is free if you have an old PC/laptop kicking around.
  6. dudeeg

dudeeg Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, I will then raise my questions there.
    Regarding WOL: you can buy withoith that feature. It is clearly stated which NAS is having WOL and which not. And of course none of the cheapers is having this feature.
  7. Crocodile

Ratings:
    +2,788
    In that case I doubt that they fully go to sleep, probably just spin the disk down.
  8. Stone Free

Stone Free Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Yeah, If I had known that they would produce a 219P+ version with WOL - I would have waited, can't stand the 5 minute wait before the SB3 is fully ready.
  9. dudeeg

dudeeg Member

Ratings:
    +1
    This means you suppose the 219P+ (and I suppose 119P+) starts up much faster because of the WOL? (I thought the WOL just "simply" switches on the NAS. And in this case why the startup would be faster? Or maybe I am wrong somewhere)

Also, could you tell me which NAS are you using now, and are you satisfied with the speed?

Thanks!
  10. Stone Free

Stone Free Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Well I suppose I'm just extrapolating my experience with Intel/AMD PCs and the difference between a cold boot into windows and that from either Sleep or Hibernate (slightly longer).

Maybe the QNAP OS/the + models still don't support that, but I assumed the addition of WOL would mean that they did.

Basically I'm assuming that the Squeeze Server is fully loaded, but just sleeping until the WOL packet arrives.

Otherwise it seems pretty pointless to add WOL:thumbsdow
  11. Stone Free

Stone Free Member

Ratings:
    +27
    I have the 219P (vanilla version)
  12. dudeeg

dudeeg Member

Ratings:
    +1
    And what is your experience regarding the streaming to SqueezBox (I guess it is fine) and handling of the server via web interface?
  13. Stone Free

Stone Free Member

Ratings:
    +27
    I'm not sure as I do have some glitches with it responding to the remote.

It never stops streaming of FLAC, however I have a few files that don't decode properly but using dbPowerAmp to convert FLAC to FLAC sorts it.

I'm not sure if the non-responding to the remote is connected to the servers processing speed or what.

It takes between 10 an 15 minutes to do a rescan for new/updated files.
  14. SideshowHibs

SideshowHibs Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Does anyone know the answer to this? I'm keeping an eye out as well and would like ot know if there is anything else around the corner.
  15. Crocodile

Ratings:
    +2,788
    Logitech don't make announcements of future products. The only people here who would know the answer to your questions are the beta testers. They have been sworn to silence.

So while a shortage of products could mean clearing the decks for new ones, it could equally mean poor manufacturing planning or even the end of the line for the Squeezebox range as we know it.
  16. SideshowHibs

SideshowHibs Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that. I won't need to buy for another couple of months so I'll just wait and see what happens.

That said, if another circa £165 deal comes along, I'd probably just pull the trigger and add in a radio as a bonus.
  17. Khalsarule

Khalsarule Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I wonder if anyone can advise me. I am looking to buy a SB touch to use predominantly to host my premium spotify service and I wanted to get a 7 inch android tablet to use as a remote control, have previously considered iphone/ipod touch with ipeng but would rather avoid the expense. There is one at Maplin that is running android 2.1 its a 7 inch tablet made by scroll, would this do the job?

Does the remote sync with spotify and essentially make changes via wi-fi on the actual site or does the remote simply control the SB? In other words could the tablet control the SB using a app like SB commander without actually installing spotify program on the tablet?

Thanks to anyone for all and any advice.
  18. JSW

JSW Active Member

Ratings:
    +297
  19. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +963
    >Does the remote sync with spotify and essentially make changes via wi-fi on the actual site or does the remote simply control the SB? <

The Touch itself run's a applet which receives and decodes the Spotify Premium stream. Squeezebox's Controller app is specified for Android 2.1+ so I guess ought to work.
    Last edited: May 23, 2011
  20. recruit

recruit Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know if there are any apps for BlackBerry phones to control to the Touch?
  21. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +963
    IIRC there's a Playbook app in development. For the RIM smartphones, you could just use its browser and use the 'mobile' skin on Squeezebox Server (not available on the embedded server in the Touch mind)
  22. Khalsarule

Khalsarule Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the advice. I am now thinking I should just bite the bullet and buy an ipad2 safe in the knowledge that it will do what I want it to and more besides. I am often guilty of buying either the not popular product, almost out of spite or trying to spend less money to get a desired result.

Usually end up regretting not buying with the herd or spending more money buying additional bits.

I fear that I will buy the cheap tablet from Maplin, it won't work and I will end up buying a second hand ipad 1...and end up with a cheap tablet I won't use much, a ipad with no warranty and a combined cost which is close to what I would have paid for the ipad 2 !

Apologies for the rant!

Anybody seen any good deals currently being offered for the SB touch? £200 seems to be the baseline at the moment.
  23. nacmacfeegle

nacmacfeegle Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,018
  24. MI55ION

MI55ION Active Member

Ratings:
    +604
    I get the impression logitech's phasing out their squeezebox products, i take it the touch still has some life in it though, is something else due? Any chance the'll release a Touch like unit with USB audio out?
  25. Crocodile

Ratings:
    +2,788
    See post #105.
  26. socistep

socistep Member

Ratings:
    +29
    There are a couple of android controller apps available on top of the Logitech free app, I use squeezecommander on my HTC Desire HD and pleased with it, think it was around £5

Plus there are other android tablets out there that would do a cheap probably price-wise somewhere inbetween the iPad and the maplin one
  27. Khalsarule

Khalsarule Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Guys for all the advice and steer's. Have now bought the SB touch, waiting for delivery and picked up a ipad2 yesterday, will set it up soon and see how I get on. All I need now is for the neighbours to go on holiday!
  28. Osamede

Osamede Member

Ratings:
    +47
    I would gess that if they did that it would be in a device more targeted at the high end market, but that is already covered in their product line with the Transporter.

At this end of the market, I suspect they would be more likely expand towards integrating amplification and perhaps speakers, than to just rehashing and adding a USB out. With receivers increasingly going to DLNA, there is a limited life in the market for pure media players. So I doubt that they would at this point waste money by pouring R&D money into products that are tailored for yesteday's market instead of tomorrow.
  29. MI55ION

MI55ION Active Member

Ratings:
    +604
    Yeah cheers, I did see your post but was hoping I could someone to break this silence.:D
  30. MI55ION

MI55ION Active Member

Ratings:
    +604
    The transporter is dead I thought? A touch like unit with usb out would have been perfect.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.