1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVForums Squeezebox Touch discussion thread Pt.II

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by amcluesent, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grimmers

grimmers Member

Ratings:
    +1
    cheers crocodile, this has sorted the problem the link station now works with the touch,thanks again:thumbsup:
  2. Crocodile

Crocodile Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,417
    Maybe the update is selecting the internal server (for USB/SD) by default & you need to manually select SBS to be the server?
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  3. happynow

happynow Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I'm talking about sbs on laptop not server on touch. Worked perfectly yesterday, now after update to 7.5.4 it won't find anything on scan. Went back to 7.5.3 same problem. Did system restore back to last week, works fine. I can play music but as soon as I scan for new music, it doesn't find any new music and resets itself to show empty. So the database shows nothing again. If I then look on touch all music has gone, but was showing and playing before scan.
  4. Crocodile

Ratings:
    +2,417
    Sorry, didn't realise 7.5.4 had been released. Only thing I can suggest is to check the old SlimDevices forum.

Squeezebox : Community : Forums

Bit late now but the moral of the story is never update to the latest version straight away. Let others be the guinea pigs.
  5. happynow

happynow Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I uninstalled IE 9 which I installed yesterday to give it a try.(I don't use IE I use Maxthon) Maybe it was causing problems.

Then decided to uninstal SBS completely wipe all registry/explorer entries containg the word squeeze and re-install 7.5.4.

It is now scanning as it should.
  6. Crocodile

Ratings:
    +2,417
    Maybe try uninstalling SBS & then have a look for folder left behind that need manually deleting.

Edit
    You beat me to it. :D
  7. CosmosD

CosmosD Member

Ratings:
    +8
  8. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +812
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  9. CosmosD

CosmosD Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for that. I think I will stick to just a NAS drive. Any recomendation for a 1 ot 2TB one?
  10. Osamede

Osamede Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Using Windows 2008 R2 server and have this setup to run at boot, even without logging in. Its been a while since I set it up, but if I recall correctly I set the SB server itself to run as service than in the Win 2008 server administration I indicated the SB server as a service to run automatically at system boot.
  11. recruit

recruit Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    What DAC's are you guys running the Touch into or is it straight into a Receiver/Processor and then amps as I am playing with the idea of getting an external DAC to see if it can be improved up on?
  12. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +812
    I'm running mine into a Quad 34/306 from "back in the day"

[​IMG]
  13. recruit

recruit Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I am considering either a Cyrus DACX+ or a Teddy Pardo DAC but not sure which one yet, anyone running anyof these combo's, I know it is a long shot, I could then also turn my CD player into a transport as well !
  14. Stinky985

Stinky985 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi can i get a quick sanity check please?!
    Thinking of dipping a toe into audio streaming and the touch seems to be a good starter to connect to my Yamaha amp and because i can plug a USB Drive in. i could also return my new iphone dock if im quick!

So my quick question is this - will the touch operate with only a USB Drive Attached?
    e.g The connection would be USB Drive ---- Touch----Amp----Speakers

I'll then probably use an iphone app to control it from a distance but see that it has a remote so a bit of a moot point!

Longer term i'll use my pc when replaced for a server or get a NAS but at the moment all my MP3's are on this external drive so it seems sensible to just use that directly connected so i dont have to have the pc on!
    TIA
  15. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +812
    >will the touch operate with only a USB Drive Attached?<

The Touch can use -

1) A directly attached USB drive in a mains-powered caddy
    2) A Squeezebox Server running on a device on the local network (NAS, PC, Mac etc)
    3) The 'cloud server' a.k.a. mysqueezebox.com for internet streams and the like
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Stinky985

Stinky985 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks amcluesent!
    It sounds like it is the perfect thing for me then! USB now NAS later! Sorted!
    Thanks very much. Suppose i better look at returning this ipod dock to amazon! :)
  17. MrSpiggot

MrSpiggot Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Touch will be fine with a direct USB hard drive connection. Don't know which drive you have but they don't all need to be mains powered. Some drives are fine with Touch power, some need too much current. The drive sleep settings may also need to be fiddled with as it may not wake up properly after sleeping. I use a Seagate FreeAgent Go 160Gb which uses Touch power and sleeps/wakes faultlessly.

Once you get that working, I'm not sure what the advantage would be of going to a NAS later?
  18. Stinky985

Stinky985 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Actually thats not a bad point assuming it all works (read some forum posts about it being iffy). But once the collection grows and i run out of disk space then im guessing its better to have a more permanent solution as the disk is the storage location for all my music that feeds itunes etc and it'll save moving the disk around i guess!! I'll worry about it when ive run out of space but ive got enough space left for the foreseeable future!
  19. Crocodile

Ratings:
    +2,417
    It can indeed be "iffy".

If you're intending to move the disk between Touch & other devices you should seek guidance about rescans. IIRC, the Touch will want to rescan each time the disk is reconnected & scans on the Touch aren't rapid. I don't think anyone would recommend constant disconnecting but things may have improved since my experience.
  20. nacmacfeegle

nacmacfeegle Active Member

Ratings:
    +831
    "Once you get that working, I'm not sure what the advantage would be of going to a NAS later?"
    Running the collection from a NAS, or a PC is generally faster than running the Tiny SB from the Touch/USB, artwork renders faster for Ipad/Iphone, and its own Touch screen, there are a greater number of plugins available (I like getting the lyrics / and other song information such as related artists, bios, album reviews etc on my Ipad), there are fewer limitations (larger collections, larger playlists, can serve more players, etc).
    Its slightly easier to manage music on a NAS/PC.

FWIW I now keep about 7,500 'favourite' songs on my Touch/ USB, and have another library (about 50,000 songs) on my PC (Acer Revo), which gets wol'd as and when required.

There are a couple of Audiophile enhancements that recommend not using the USB, but my gear is not up to audiophile scratch, so its not worth it for me. My Touch is connected to an AV amp via analogue so the quality bottleneck in my set up is pretty obvious.

That said, I am more than happy with the sound I get, and I'm more than pleased with the Touch for everyday listening.
  21. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +812
    The USB disk on the Touch can also be shared on the network (the Touch runs Samba) so you can copy stuff to/from the disk without unplugging from the Touch.
  22. norliss

norliss Member

Ratings:
    +117
    I've had my eye on one of these for a while and been waiting for the price to drop. However, Richer Sounds no longer stocks these, nor does John Lewis. Currys list them as being unavailable and Amazon only has them via Superfi.

Does this mean they are being phased out and if so, what/when the likely replacement is? If not, how come the stock shortage?
  23. Sofa-loafer

Sofa-loafer Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Can't answer your question but I'm interested... They've not long released a squeezebox-controller-app for their existing products but I guess thats not hardware development so it's a possibility.

I'd like to see a tablet (using squeeze -app) with a HDMI docking station that can be used for more than just streaming audio...

It'd be cool if they incorporate a firmware update so that I could get more out of my Harmony one screen interface. Infra-red has it limitations but I'm sure it could be utilised better.

I'll be keeping my eye out! :smashin:
  24. stuart2

stuart2 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    There seems to be a number of references to using FLAC files on the Squeezebox. When I look at converting my cd's the lossless option under Windows Media Player is WAV. I also notice that when the FLAC converter is run it will only accept WAV files to convert to FLAC. WAV files can be played through the Squeezebox so why would anyone wish to convert from WAV to FLAC? WAV is already lossless and can be played through a Squeezebox. :confused:
  25. Crocodile

Ratings:
    +2,417
    FLAC is compressed lossless so will save you around 30% in disk space. FLAC also fully supports tagging which is necessary to get anything meaningful from the Squeezebox interface. I believe WAV's support for tagging is extremely limited.
  26. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +812
    >I believe WAV's support for tagging is extremely limited.<

Certainly no agreed standard AFAIK. Don't use it myself, but I think Squeezebox also understands a single FLAC file with external .CUE sheet.

BTW most peeps wouldn't be recommending Windows Media Player for ripping duties, preferring EAC or dbPowerAmp
  27. stuart2

stuart2 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Yeah but the FLAC conversion program only accepts WAV files.
  28. Crocodile

Ratings:
    +2,417
    The programmes AM suggested rip directly to FLAC or do the conversion automatically. No need to do a manual conversation.
  29. stuart2

stuart2 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Which would they be then?
  30. Crocodile

Ratings:
    +2,417
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.