AVForums Squeezebox Touch discussion thread Pt.II

Status
Not open for further replies.

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry I havn't read through part 1 :blush:

I am thinking of getting a Touch but don't want to be streaming from the PC and saw this HP microserver in the bargains thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/comp...hp-proliant-microserver-100-cash-back-hp.html

Would that be suitable for the Touch or should I be looking at something else? after cashback that server is only £122 and would probably install Windows Home Server on it.

Thanks for any help :smashin:

Should be fine. There's a build of Squeezebox Server for WHS.

I run SBS on WHS (single core 2.2GHz Celeron) without any significant issues. Handling of upgrades has been a bit hit & miss but nothing that can't be solved by a manual installation.

WHS and SBS work really well together and you'll be getting all the additional benefits such as automated backup and offline access.

Ordered the Touch from Misco £165 delivered which was the best price I could find and will be here tomorrow Logitech Squeezebox Touch- NEW - Misco.co.uk

Ordered the HP Proliant microserver from Crescent via next day but not had a despatch email :rolleyes:

Get for £165 at Dixons, with voucher code LOGIT10, and British stock.

Another £5 off with Quidco.

Last edited:
Right silly question time, I can get my squeezebox server to wake up when I power up my touch/boom/duet, however as my Windows Server 2008 requires a logon & password to boot into the O/S, is there a setting to save this info so that SB Server will run?

In the SBS Control Panel you can set it to run as a service on system start so that no logon is required. You shouldn't need to enter any login credentials for this setting unless your library is on a networked drive, but I had to to get the service to start on WHS with the current 7.5.3.

Note that you have to stop the server before you can make changes. You may also need to run the CP as Administrator.

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Squeezebox_Server_as_a_Service

Last edited:
In the SBS Control Panel you can set it to run as a service on system start so that no logon is required. You shouldn't need to enter any login credentials for this setting unless your library is on a networked drive, but I had to to get the service to start on WHS with the current 7.5.3.

Note that you have to stop the server before you can make changes. You may also need to run the CP as Administrator.

Squeezebox Server as a Service - SqueezeboxWiki

Cheers, unfortunately my music is on a networked drive :(

>my Windows Server 2008 requires a logon & password to boot into the O/S<

Isn't there a Windows tweak so it'll go straight into a default account. My Vista install certainly has this.

NB. Fair enough you need to enter logon info at boot, but if the Server is just doing sleep/wake-on-LAN I'm not sure if credential are needed? Maybe Server 2008 is much tighter on this security things than Vista/Windows 7...

>my Windows Server 2008 requires a logon & password to boot into the O/S<

Isn't there a Windows tweak so it'll go straight into a default account. My Vista install certainly has this.

NB. Fair enough you need to enter logon info at boot, but if the Server is just doing sleep/wake-on-LAN I'm not sure if credential are needed? Maybe Server 2008 is much tighter on this security things than Vista/Windows 7...

To clarify, I shut down my server when not in use, so I'm looking at a cold boot scenario as opposed to an awake from sleep

Re your suggestion had a google to try and bypass the logon, however Windows Server is very strict regarding passwords, must be a minimum amount of letters and numbers to be valid and nags you every day to change (even if you set to never expire) :suicide:

Anyway it seems there's a startup option in SB Control Panel which allows you to enter your log/pw, so I'll give it a whirl tonight and see if it works

Last edited:
Hi, I am thinking of getting a Logitech Squeezebox Touch here is the link from Amazon Logitech Squeezebox Touch: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
I am not interested in the wireless music capability because wireless connections usually gets sound drop outs. I am interested in the USB port for playing music, just wondered if anyone could enlighten me if it would play from a HDD & do gapless music playback from this like Live music albums or Pink Floyd albums like Dark Side of the Moon where songs are continous without gaps.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Touch can play gapless, so long as the music is encoded in a supporting format (FLAC for preference)

Hi I have my music copied on to a 320gb HDD in WAV files so I hope it will be able to playback gapless music from the USB port like this

I am not interested in the wireless music capability because wireless connections usually gets sound drop outs.
Don't assume that this will be the case.
I have never had a drop out between my router and Touch. The signal strength is indicated on the Touch settings screen.

>I have my music copied on to a 320gb HDD in WAV files<

Each to their own. The lack of meta data will make using a music streamer a wee bit painful as it can't easily build a searchable database of artists/albums/tracks etc. Works OK so long as you don't mind browsing the directory structure.

Hi, I am thinking of getting a Logitech Squeezebox Touch here is the link from Amazon Logitech Squeezebox Touch: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
I am not interested in the wireless music capability because wireless connections usually gets sound drop outs. I am interested in the USB port for playing music, just wondered if anyone could enlighten me if it would play from a HDD & do gapless music playback from this like Live music albums or Pink Floyd albums like Dark Side of the Moon where songs are continous without gaps.

You can get it for £165.97 here -:

Logitech Squeezebox Touch- NEW - Misco.co.uk

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Can someone please compare touchs sound and dac with nads budget universal or cd players? Thnx

Do i have to do anything special to get the Touch to output to Optical?

I have RCA and optical leads plugged in. Sound from RCA, not optical.

Have i missed something? Manuals and logitech website are useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom