Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVForums Sonos Play:5/Play:3/Play:1 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by GarryPearson, Oct 13, 2009.

1. codex70

codex70 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Just tried it on my S5. If I put my ear to the speaker with my iphone right sat next to the s5, I can just about hear a faint hiss. This is whether or not music is playing (ie playing, but with vol at nothing). The hiss is so quiet though that even a couple of inches from the speaker I can no longer hear it (though whether you have more sensitive hearing or not, I 'm not sure).

I really wouldn't be able to hear it under normal circumstances, so if you can, then it's definitely different to mine.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. ro53ben

ro53ben Member

Ratings:
    +142
    yes, it's a faulty unit - you should return it for a replacement.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. mabayes

mabayes Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am looking at getting a Sonos Zoneplayer, but where I intend to use it I have NO router and NO PC - just an iPhone - is it the product for me ? or would the Bose dock be a better option ?
  4. deeno65

deeno65 Member

Ratings:
    +48
    to get the best out of this, you need a connection to a router,hard wired will work but a wireless one will talk to your iphone.you also need a broadband connection to stream music from the net .my advice to you is visit a local supplier and ask for a demo,on what you need and a hands on explanation thanks
  5. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +938
    > is it the product for me <

Do you mean no internet access at all?

Without either a local music server or streaming music off the interweb, the S5 would be 99% wasted.

>would the Bose dock be a better option<

B&W Zeppelin is the dock of choice.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  6. ro53ben

ro53ben Member

Ratings:
    +142
    Yes, you can use an S5 without a router or PC. If you have just the S5, you'll need to connect the iPhone to the line-in socket on the S5 using 3.5mm jack plugs. All music will need to be controlled manually on the iPhone.

Alternatively, you can purchase the Sonos Wireless Dock with the S5 which will allow you to stream wirelessly from the dock to the S5 and also use any Sonos controller to remotely control the music playback.

If you have music services, like Spotify, on your iPhone - you can play these through the S5 directly or via the wireless dock.

Personally, I'd choose the Sonos option over the S5 as it's more expandable in the future - e.g. you can add a 2nd S5 to an adjacent room and play the same music in both.
  7. Member 410254

Member 410254 Member

Ratings:
    +106
    You don't need to have the router in the vicinity, i would advise simply buying a Sonos Zonebridge and hard wire that to your router (Wherever it is in your house) and let that talk to your S5. You won't appreciate any of the Sonos features without access to the internet and would be well worthwhile paying £79 for the Zonebridge.

I would suggest the new Arcam rCube

Kind regards

Phil @ Custom Cable
  8. Harpo8

Harpo8 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Been reading about the Sonos setups for a while now and after watching the demo, i thought to myself, there is no way they will setup that quick (10mins) and sound as good as everyone has said - I was proven wrong! :smashin: :smashin:

I went over to bluewater at the weekend and bought the S5 and Zonebridge bundle for £349.99, seemed the best deal about that I could find. Took less than 10minutes to setup and I was away.

I now plan to purchase 1 or 2 Zoneplayers/amp when we move into our new home.

Very impressed
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  9. Dan.Scott1234

Dan.Scott1234 Member

Ratings:
    +19
    There's a great CR200 for sale in the Classifieds here (Shameless plug for my own sale thread:oops:)

Sonos setup is first class though, really couldn't be easier. When you get your second zone and see how easy it is to join them and play different things in different rooms you'll get that big smile again too!
  10. disney_cjd

disney_cjd Member

Ratings:
    +15
    They are v easy indeed. Even run mine of a ReadyNAS and its a breeze. Keep an eye on BestBuy as I got mine from there and often they have a 20% cashback via quidco so you are quids in!
  11. davisa

davisa Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Just got a ZoneBridge, ZP90 and Sonos Dock. Took less than 10 minutes to set up. iTunes on the other hand took three days to successfully make the move from local hard drive to NAS.
  12. CallMeSteve

CallMeSteve New Member

Ratings:
    +153
    I've been thinking of getting a Sonos S5 and the cheapest I've seen for the kit with the zone bridge is £360 at Comet. Anybody seen anything cheaper?
  13. Harpo8

Harpo8 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Carphone warehouse is 349.99 in store only and you will need to ring around. I got the last one at Bluewater. Maidstone/london (city), chatham, gillingham were all sold out too. Good luck :smashin:
  14. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr Active Member

Ratings:
    +667
    Call your local dealer that's on the sonos website, they will always knock at least £20 off
  15. CallMeSteve

CallMeSteve New Member

Ratings:
    +153
    Tried them already but none of the local stores have it in stock.

The retail price is £399 so even if they knock off £20, it's still more than £360! :)
  16. Jazz Monkey Jr

Ratings:
    +667
    It's always worth trying your local dealer.
  17. gillw

gillw Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Any updates on Sonos deals would be welcome. :thumbsup:

I'm thinking of buying the S5 starter bundle (inc bridge). Amazon have it for £388 and in recent months have given a further 10% off Sonos products. I'm just waiting to see if they offer this again in Feb.
  18. Jazz Monkey Jr

Ratings:
    +667
    Again ring all local dealers from the sonos site, other than that, best buy is your best bet when they have the special offer days.
  19. Harpo8

Harpo8 Member

Ratings:
    +1
  20. metroman2

metroman2 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I have ordered 2 x S5's @ £329:95 each but not with the bridge as I did not need it, from Richer Sounds milton keynes + a ZP90 and the latest controller...roll on Thursday :thumbsup:
  21. davisa

davisa Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  22. Jazz Monkey Jr

Ratings:
    +667
  23. gillw

gillw Member

Ratings:
    +6
  24. davisa

davisa Member

Ratings:
    +21
  25. Beancounter

Beancounter Member

Ratings:
    +45
    I currrently have a Pure Avanti in my dining room but am considering a Sonos S5.

I just want peoples views on sound quality. Will it be good enough for a 10ft by 10ft room and will the difference in quality be really noticeable over the Avanti.

Just trying to get some ammo to help persuade the wife to spend £379!
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  26. ro53ben

ro53ben Member

Ratings:
    +142
    Never heard the Avanti, but it will easily fill that room with sound.

Being an all-in-one, the only challenge is stereo separation. Like other units of this form factor, you don't really get a lot. The S5 does offer the option of pairing it up with another unit, which sounds quite amazing, but does double the price.

On it's own, it's better sound quality than a Bose Sounddock, Klipsch or other similar iPod dock style units - it's excellent value for the price.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  27. Beancounter

Beancounter Member

Ratings:
    +45
    My only reservation is that I would be using my iPhone to control the unit. If my wife is at home whilst I am out the S5 is pretty much uncontrolable without the iPhone or the Sonos controller yes?
  28. ticmon

ticmon Member

Ratings:
    +2
    You can download the Sonos desktop controller to use on a PC/Laptop so you can use it without your iphone or the CR200.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. eyeballKid

eyeballKid Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Other options/things to consider: Sonos zoneplayers do come in different configurations - a ZP120 and a set of bookshelf speakers might be the Sonos unit to consider for a larger room, although this will add to the budget. And you will still need to consider what you need in terms of controllers and music sources (eg. NAS full of music plus a backup, Napster/Spotify streaming service).
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  30. HMHB

HMHB Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,391
    It's also worth mentioning that you'll need your own wireless network for the iPhone to work as a controller in a Sonos system. The bespoke Sonos controllers don't require this as they use the Sonos network to communicate.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1