Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVForums Sonos Play:5/Play:3/Play:1 Discussion

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by GarryPearson, Oct 13, 2009.

1. dapprman

dapprman Member

Ratings:
    +8
    As a new member I'm now scared :eek: (or is that scarred).

I must admit I was going to go SB Boom but my house is of an older construction (i.e. thicker walls and floor) and one of the places I wanted to use it suffers from very poor wireless signal, the mesh network of the Sonos setup gets me round this.

I'm still thinking of a SB Boom for my guest bedroom though - can't let them get their hands on my controller :rolleyes:
  2. Autopilot

Autopilot Active Member

Ratings:
    +989
    I wouldn't, if going Sonos then go all Sonos. You won't get the true benifit of either system if you mix. Plus to reap the benifit of the mesh network you need two or more Sonos.
  3. Autopilot

Autopilot Active Member

Ratings:
    +989
    Simon, don't really know what your issue is tbh. First off, I have installed and used 2 sonos system for friends in the last few years (potentially a 3rd for my sisters new Kennsington apartment the Xmas), which they bought on my recommendation.

Secondly, I think this is the first time I have mentioned build quality in all the years I have been using this forum. How is that going on like a broken record? So do as suggested, and chill out. Thanks.
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  4. dapprman

dapprman Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Oh I have 2 units already (having bought a BU150 pack) and I will be buying a S5 ;)
  5. GarryPearson

GarryPearson Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Dapprman, update your BU150 to v3.1 of the Sonos software which came out last week before you add the S5 zoneplayer you intend on buying.

Ref the guest bedroom, with Sonos you can run more than one network whereby one cant see the other even though they are in the same location. The guest bedroom though would need its own controller or desktop controller software.

If you get any Sonos wireless blackspots then fill them in with a Sonos zonebridge - £79.
  6. dapprman

dapprman Member

Ratings:
    +8
    My only problem is the second network, still the guest bedroom will probably be left devoid of streamed music as I can't really justify the cost.
  7. GarryPearson

GarryPearson Member

Ratings:
    +11
    yeah, a little ipod and speaker dock might be best or the SB Boom as you mentioned
  8. dapprman

dapprman Member

Ratings:
    +8
    or a wind up alarm clock - but this is rather deviating from the topic (sorry folks:oops:)
  9. Filbert

Filbert Member

Ratings:
    +207
    Well if Michael Winner doesn't have the desired effect I don't know what will! :rotfl:

If anyone's interested, had the demo S5 set up for a few days now, and I love it! Really think Sonos have made another cracking product, and I'm surprised by how well it handles bass.
  10. GarryPearson

GarryPearson Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Same feelings here, really nice addition to the Sonos zoneplayer range. Very good sound, looks good too. An outdoor weatherproof version with a battery life as well as mains would be the perfect next-gen of the S5. We bundle Sonos with the Outcast wireless speaker by Soundcast, its a beasty of a speaker but carry's a bit of a price tag. An outdoor version of the S5 at similar money could be a real winner? :smashin:

Cant decide yet about the new Twitter function in v3.1 software, a bit gimmicky or an interesting feature for tweeting what you are listening to?. The jury is out for now...any views?
  11. Filbert

Filbert Member

Ratings:
    +207
    Agreed, an outdoor version of the S5 would be a superb addition. As for Twitter, well I can't see anyone giving a toss what I'm listening to, and I couldn't care less what anyone else was listening to either!!

But then again I am not on Twitter, because I don't really care about what Chris Moyles, who I listen to everyday, is doing when he's not on air, and no-one I'm sure, cares what I'm doing with my day either!
  12. GarryPearson

GarryPearson Member

Ratings:
    +11
    :thumbsup: Yep, agreed!
  13. Autopilot

Autopilot Active Member

Ratings:
    +989
    They recently added Facebook integration to the Squeezebox range, which includes posting what your listening to on your 'wall'. Apparently it was a 'marketing' decision. General opinion is that its a well known logo to put on the box, but most importantly its brilliant free advertising for Logitech. I dont know how the Sonos version works exactly, but with Logitech the message posted is something like "*** is listening to *** on their Squeezebox". If the Sonos Twitter function is similar, my guess is thats mainly for getting user to help market Sonos in a kind of viral ad type way, rather than a particularly useful feature they think people really want for their music system.

At least with facebook it makes a good news/photo screen saver for the Squeezebox Touch. But i think its a gimmick most people are not buying these things for. If anyone really care what i am listening too, they can check my last.fm page. I dont think many people do some how.

But then maybe i'm just too cynical.
  14. GarryPearson

GarryPearson Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Off on a tangent, but whilst I remember...aside from the Western Digital My Book World Edition have you guys any preference on NAS drives both for Sonos and for general IT networks?. Been trialing the WD MBW dual drive and although its ok its nothing to shout out about. Keep seeing mentions of the Q-NAS but I believe the support in the UK is not the best. Is there a decent Netgear NAS below £250 or something similar?
  15. Dan.Scott1234

Dan.Scott1234 Member

Ratings:
    +19
    The Netgear Readynas Duo is a great 2-bay nas that can be had with drives for around £250. Highly recommended for the money.
  16. GarryPearson

GarryPearson Member

Ratings:
    +11
    ok, cheers. Been looking at that one, saw the Netgear RNDX but it lifts the price quite a bit
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Butters

Butters Member

Ratings:
    +111
    It is an awesome piece of kit.........:thumbsup:
  18. Butters

Butters Member

Ratings:
    +111
    Garry i have been round the NAS houses and back again. Settled on the ReadyNas Duo with x2 samsung 1.5tb drives it came in at a very reasonable price (shade under £300) from scan.co.uk and free postage using forum member discount.

Long thread i created here with loads of helpful input from forum members -
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/networking-nas/1069485-nas-drive-advice.html

Oh - back on topic - it works really well with the F A B U L O U S Sonos S5 :D
  19. inkinoo

inkinoo Active Member

Ratings:
    +129
    Just set up my new S5 over here in Switzerland; bloody stunning. For something so small the sound it produces is pretty damn good.

Perfect for the kitchen or bedroom. Well done Sonos.
  20. GarryPearson

GarryPearson Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks Butters will take your solid advice and ta for the thread :thumbsup:. Will get the Netgear in

Inkinoo - glad you like it!.

Come on Sonos, lets have a weatherproof/outdoor version of the S5 in time for Spring 2010. I love the Outcast/iCast hooked up with a Sonos ZP90 but a lower price point solution would be great
  21. Filbert

Filbert Member

Ratings:
    +207
    The NAS drive we use most often on installs is the Buffalo Linkstation. No real reason and don't really know if any others out there offer anything more (apart from things like RAID etc.) but the Buffalo has always worked well, and has had a very very small failure rate.
  22. inkinoo

inkinoo Active Member

Ratings:
    +129
    I'm running a QNap with the Sonos; as expected, works perfectly with no issues.
  23. Empgamer

Empgamer Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Much as I adore my Sonos system I think the new S5 ZP/speaker combo unit is expensive. At $399 in the US not so bad but at the near $1 = £1 exchange rate that seems to apply to many US imports I think it's way to expensive at the moment.
  24. Broadsword

Broadsword Active Member

Ratings:
    +464
    Wrong forum fella!
  25. neilball

neilball Active Member

Ratings:
    +323
    There was quite a discussion about this on the Sonos forums and by the time you've accounted for the import duties, VAT etc then the UK price was within something like £20, the OP there actually admitted that the UK price was fair after all. Remember that Sonos does not have a direct UK presence so sells through a UK distributor and the retailers here have to comply with EU and UK sales laws (such as Sales of Goods) then actually it is surprising that the end costs are so similar (after taking into account the hidden costs associated with imported goods).
  26. mrm3

mrm3 Member

Ratings:
    +99
    I think the new Sonos s5 is a bit ugly. But like it functionally.

Now wall control/cradles and a multizone amps please.... oh and and a doorbell that plays on the selected zones anything you desire.
  27. Butters

Butters Member

Ratings:
    +111
    I think its actually a bit of a bargain (relative) compared to their own product range (zp120) which needs additional speakers or even better when you think its a tad over £100 more than a Bose SoundDock and less than a Zepplin.
  28. Empgamer

Empgamer Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Errrr. Why wrong forum?? Last I recall Sonos was a music streamer :rolleyes:
  29. neilball

neilball Active Member

Ratings:
    +323
    Maybe he should have said wrong thread instead as there was already a specific S5 thread :)
  30. IanM

IanM Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I've had the S5 for a week now, together with the CR200 controller, and both were well worth the money. I've been using Sonos for over 4 years and have 4 zone players around the house. I'd been umming and ahhhing about where I could install the next one, and if I could justify it. There were 2 or 3 places where it would be nice but I wasn't sure I'd use it enough in those places to make it worthwhile. The S5 was the ideal solution as I can keep it in one of those places and move it to the others when I want.

The sound quality is pretty good from such a small device. It obviously can't compete with a couple of reasonable fixed speakers, but it does the job for me, and I'm hoping that it will improve with use.

The build quality on my unit isn't up to normal Sonos standards however, with the front grill being loose on one side. I should hopefully be able to fix it with some glue when I get around to it, but it wasn't what I was expecting from Sonos kit. Hopefully it's a one-off and not a sign that their usual high standards are slipping. Apart from that I can definitely recommend it.