Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVForums Multi Room discussion thread

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by amcluesent, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Strocky

Strocky New Member

Ratings:
    +72
    You could utilise Spotify or Napster for streaming music when you don't want your main server on.

LastFM & Deezer are fairly decent alternatives as well

[-]Spotifty is only really a decent option on the Sonos at the moment although [/-]

Napster is equally easy to use on both Sonos & Squeezebox

You could look at signing up to a mp3locker site and upload your favourite tracks for streaming like MP3tunes Locker: Your Media Everywhere

The other alternative is to have a Logitech Touch and a USB HDD with all your songs but you would be spending the best part of £300 per room + amp/speaker and you would have to make sure you picked a powered HDD

At the end of the day, your best bet is to have your server asleep when not used so that it's hardly drawing any power

You can also pick up micro servers that wont suck the grid dry, something like this should be ok for your needs -:

HP ProLiant Neo N36L Micro Server 612275-421 | Servers Direct

EDIT Spotify is coming to Squeezbox Touch & Radio (in Beta form at the moment)
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  2. nacmacfeegle

nacmacfeegle Active Member

Ratings:
    +986
    Sonos will do that for you as will a Squeezebox system.
  3. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +955
    >I already have Amps/Speakers/Cat5 Laid and need the following<

So you have separate amps and speakers in each room with CAT5 to the room? You could drop in Squeezebox Touch players, which have touch screen user interfaces on the player with an IR remote control for in-room use.

Plus you can also use iPhone/iPad apps as controllers on wi-fi or indeed the Squeezebox Controller itself on wi-fi.

The design of Squeezebox means any controller can be used with any player (or group of syncronised players) giving maximum flexibility.
  4. ro53ben

ro53ben Member

Ratings:
    +142
    Sonos doesn't require a "controller PC", just a NAS and the players for each zone, connected wired or wirelessly.

If you already have amps/speakers etc. you can just connect the ZP90s up and you're done. The Sonos remote is radio based so doesn't need line of sight, meaning you can locate the ZP90s in a cupboard, under a floor or in a ceiling void.

All Sonos controllers have fully colour displays showing Playing Now, queue management, music library etc. There is the official CR200 controller, the older water resistant CR100 controller (great for the bathroom) and also free controller apps for iPhone, iPad and (soon) Android. There is also free controller software for PC/Mac.
  5. c2obbo

c2obbo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    am currently 1st fixing a new build and the customer has asked for speakers mounted in the ceiling in 4 rooms with controleers next to each light switch.could anybody recommend a good setup?budget is £2000. i have been looking at legrans synergy range as all sockets and switch fronts will be legrand. any advice would be great.cheers
  6. dirtybarrys

dirtybarrys Member

Ratings:
    +0
    like c2obbo, I already have my speakers in the ceiling of various rooms throughout the house and wired back to my hi-fi and amp.

I would like to control the music remotely in these rooms without having to go back to the hi-fi to turn the cd over etc.

I could install controllers in each room as they are all pre-wired at the light switches but I prefer to be able to control the music but some form of remote e.g. an I Phone or independant controller.

Is there such a thing as a remote that can operate via wifi for example or alternative - open to all suggestions please.
  7. Andyjc

Andyjc Member

Ratings:
    +27
  8. bigrichy

bigrichy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to AV forums in fact I am new to anything AV that doesnt come out of a box.

I am renovating a house and would like to know whether I can put an amp or something that can play music and then control it with one controller or even better an android device from anywhere.

Example:
    I am in the kitchen with ceiling speakers, i want to turn the music on but not turn it in every other room that is also connected to the amp. (Wiring the speakers through the house is not a problem).

Thanks in advance.
  9. nacmacfeegle

nacmacfeegle Active Member

Ratings:
    +986
    I think you need to work out whether you wish to have a centralised amp (audio distribution) or whether you want to have distributed music players with centralised storage(audio streaming). Of course you can have a single player (streamer) hooked up to a distribution amp, but its unlikely that you will have an amp controller and music selection app in the same package, perhaps some of the upper-mid range (Linn, Naim etc) gear will do this. Someone else might chip in as I am unfamiliar with these

Most people here use streaming, have a look at Sonos, or Squeezebox as these are the most popular streaming systems that have pretty decent apps to control them (Sonos android app reportedly imminent). Streaming allows you to have different music in each 'zone' or have them all synch'd and playing the same music, downside is you need amplification in each zone. A common controller controls all zones. You can have multiple controllers.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +955
    > am new to AV forums in fact I am new to anything AV<

Welcome to the Forums. I'm merged your post with the main thread on multi-room so you can see what's been discussed before.

There's systems such as Cambridge Audio Incognito which are dedicated whole-house systems. This is at the low-end of prices, custom AV installs quickly spiral in cost.

You'll see a lot of posters have used Sonos/Squeezebox kit for whole-house systems. Both suppliers have a range of models for different purposes with their own controllers or apps for iPhone/iPad/Android.
  11. dseven

dseven Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help - i am settting up a multi-room home audio - (new build), and want to know if anyone thinks the setup as attached PDF link will work
    The only part i'm not sure of is the link from Airport Express to the Amp
    what and how?
    any help would be great - thanks

http://www.fuda.co.uk/speaker_system.pdf
  12. dwhite

dwhite Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,447
    I'm not sure what the point of the airport expresses are? Are they supposed to be in each room/zone? Or are they (as shown) all in one location. In one location, I can't understand what your trying to achieve?

AFAIK, itunes can only feed one signal at a time, this can be to multiple airport expresses, but you can only have one music stream going thru out the whole house. If your planning on having different feeds, then airport express isn't the option for you.
  13. Strocky

Strocky New Member

Ratings:
    +72
    If you can do it cheaper with even half the functionality of a SB or Sonos system, post how to and I'll sell my kit tomorrow :rotfl:

Edit -: Just realised how old the OP was (and that I posted on this thread months ago) :blush:
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  14. wysinawyg

wysinawyg Member

Ratings:
    +105
    Each instance of iTunes can feed one or more Airport Expresses. You get an instance of iTunes off a computer but also from each iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad connected to the network (although they only currently work for a single AEx). Combining 5 AExs with a multi zone amp would leave each person with a controller free to play whatever they wanted in whatever (and however many) zones they wanted and give you the potential to have 5 different people listening to five different things.

If you've already got the wiring for the multi-zone amp and are intending on going the iDevice route for control it'd be cheaper and easier than the Sonos / Squeezebox alternative. Wouldn't be my first choice of setup from scratch though as you lose the AEx's advantage over the squeezebox of being able to give you a mesh network type setup for the controllers.
  15. Maxson

Maxson Member

Ratings:
    +71
    One of these would do that. The controller works by wifi. Logitech Squeezebox Duet - WiFi Internet Radio receiver: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories The contoller can also control any squeezebox device such as a silent PC running squeezebox player connected to a hifi.
  16. baselu

baselu Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am lost between suppliers, systems and technicalities.

your advice is much appreciated people!

I am renovating my apartment and i have two main audio zones.
    1- its an open space which includes an open kitchen, dining, TV area and painting workshop. I need proper surround by TV, same level or a bit less complicated by the workshop and the rest of the zone just to have background music. I do not mind to have the same music in the whole zone

2- the 2nd zone is the master bedroom and its bathroom. also to be connected to the same receiver and to be controlled by radio remote or maybe WiFi from the bedroom itself.

attached is a layout to illustrate the above.

what are my options and which types of receivers should I look into??

thanks alot!

Attached Files:

17. PSM1

PSM1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,126
    Although you say you only have 2 zones what you really have there is at least 4 zones.
    To be able to power all those speakers you are going to need some serious power etc. Will you ever want all speakers plaing at once or will you just have the TV area or the workshop or the kitchen or the bedroom?
    Have you considered getting a distributed music system instead of wiring everything from a single reciever. Something like a Sonos system or Logitech Squeezebox would allow you to stream music around your house and will give more flexibility and easier to set up.
    You can get 3 or 4 zone AV recievers but some of the zones will not be powered so you will need additional amplification and the additional zones will only work with analogue sound sources to the reciever (i.e. it will not work with equipment connected via HDMI, Optical or coaxial). You will then need some form of IR extender in each location to then control the volume.
  18. baselu

baselu Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks alot for the prompt reply.

I will look into the Squeezebox solution. It seems to be less complicated.

so, I should install wired speakers in all rooms? and how are they connected to the Squeezbox?
  19. ElectricJames

ElectricJames Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Something like a Rotel RSX-1560 and some little controllable amps like Neets.dk would do the job here, if you are looking to get all your sources to all areas. If you've got the budget, a Crestron Prodigy system would do the job brilliantly. Could also get Full HD video around the apartment too.
  20. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +955
    >what are my options<

What's your budget?
  21. baselu

baselu Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is there some kind of diagram to show a multi zoned audio system controlled by squeezebox or else?
    how many amps needed relative to speakers and type of receiver if any... etc?

I need to understand the logic :)

maybe 5000 $ budget.
  22. welshboy166

welshboy166 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

First time writer so go easy on me.

I'm currently renovating my house and as everything is going to be stripped back we're thinking of making it as 'future proof' as possible (yes I know it'll all be outdated in 6 months but what the hell). So the plan is to have CAT6 throughout and we're also looking to have a music system through the ground floor.

So we're having speakers put in the ceilings of our lounge, dining room and kitchen but what do we hook this up to? I've read a bit on Sonos and this seems like a good idea but I got thinking surely there is some free source software that would allow me to have my music on my pc and a URL that I can access from anywhere on my network to kick off the music in any room I wish. Or is my head in the clouds? If so, then can someone give me the laymens low-down on Sonos and how this system could be wired up to my ceiling speakers?

Thanks in advance. If this has already been answered many times elsewhere then please go ahead and point me towards the correct thread.

Welshboy
  23. wl1

wl1 Member

Ratings:
    +94
    You should look at Logitech Receiver as a solution. The free Squeezebox software is downloadable from mysqueezebox.com and you can control it with an iPod touch or iPhone, android etc, with the correct App. I prefer iPeng

The system is expandable, and includes Touch, Radio too. You can try the SqueezePlay emulator to output at your desktop PC.

For your in ceiling speaker solution you may need to consider active speakers or small amplifiers to pair with the Reciever. These costs are up to you, but the Logitech solution for multiroom Audio is fantastic. Check out the forums at Slimdevices website.
  24. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +955
    >First time writer so go easy on me<

Welcome to the forum.

I've merged your posting into the thread on multi-room/multi-zone where various options have been explored.
  25. cslink23

cslink23 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for so much wisdom on this forum. I've read lots but haven't found what I need due to the constraints of my existing system.

We recently moved into a house with a distribution closet on the main level. From the closet, each room gets coax and Cat5 network jacks.
    The closet also has 1 Opus MCU500 and 4 zones (via DZM20 amps mounted in the closet - not in the zones).

Each zoned room has a wall controller (cat5 wired back to base) and so far we are able listen to local radio tuned by the Opus MCU500 and CDs played on the receiver, also in the closet.

Our family's music collection resides on a D-Link DNS-321 NAS drive. Currently, any member can play music on his/her laptop via itunes (or mediamonkey, etc.). Also, any room TVs get cable signal from the closet via coax.

To my knowledge, there are no Opus installers anywhere near my area so this will need to be a DIY project.

I would like to gradually add to this system (as funds become available) to:
    1. Listen to NAS music via zone speakers (instead of just laptops). Also, each zone should be able to hear a different selection.

?? Should I try to add a device to the closet for multiple stream distribution or in each room (as a loptop is used now)?

?? Would a wall panel upgrade (current models have only a small LCD) solve the selection (UI) problem best?

2. View Internet-based (Netflix, YouTube, Picassa) and NAS-stored Video/Pictures (DVD-rips, DVR recordings, home videos, pictures) from any room.

?? Should this be integrated into the audio solution or standalone?
    ?? Should this be carried via coax or via network?

3. Add new stations to the unfinished basement with same purposes.
    ?? Should I add an additional Opus system for expansion or look to another system?

4. Looking farther into the future, I would like to outfit a Theater Room in the basement. Access to the Nas would be crucial although this would not be the only source.

I realize this is a large requirement, but I feel that if all is not considered together the plan would be jeopardized.

Thanks for your thoughtful input in advance!
  26. ckbe

ckbe Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, long-time anonymous forum visitor, first time poster really looking for some of the very helpful expertise you share!

Basically I have a Squeezebox Duet system (ie: one controller, one receiver), plus an additional 3 receivers (so 4 total) which I've had for a good 8 months.

Until now I'm not sure I've really released all of it's capability having not gotten round to maximising it's potential. (I've generally just been using it to listen to internet radio throughout 4 rooms of the house on 4 different speaker units. - Currently in bedroom, office, lounge and kitchen.)

What I'd really like to do now is expand on it in two respects...

Firstly I'm wondering if it is possible to instead of having the cables from the Squeezebox providing audio to 1 set of speakers, to in fact have it go into a distribution amplifier of sorts to allow for additional speaker locations. Is this even possible to begin with?

In other words, use the bedroom Squeezebox location to provide audio to both the bedroom and the en suite (with some form of bathroom wall/ceiling humidity-resistant speakers of course), use the office Squeezebox location to provide audio to both the office, the upstairs bathroom (again with the humidity-resistant speakers) and also the landing, and use the kitchen or lounge Squeezebox location to provide audio to the kitchen/lounge, hall-way and stairs. Or even cut out the "office" location and just use the "bedroom" to do the entire upstairs.

I'm not too bothered about reducing the quantity of Squeezeboxes down to three or even two (and selling the others on ebay) so as to be "upstairs" and "downstairs" locations rather than independent rooms as I always listen to the same station/tune all over the house rather than different things in different rooms and enjoy being able to wander around the house with the same thing on everywhere.

My issue is that I'm completely and utterly non-technically minded with regards to the equipment I would need to do such a thing, the difference between active speakers and "bare-wire" speakers, ohms etc etc! What I don't really want is to continue having speakers in each room that require independent power sources (such as I have at the moment).

I appreciate that amplifying equipment may bring restrictions with regards to 'zoning' as such, and am more than open to suggestions of upgrading things to include this (since there's probably no point having audio pumping all day long into the en suite after I've had my morning shower! lol).

I guess really you could say that this is a part-wired/part-wifi project.

Budget-wise, I'm really not too sure what kind of figures are realistic, but let's throw £1,500 out there to begin with!

On top of all this and a somewhat separate issue, having read other forum posts, I'm definitely also looking to get a NAS drive to hook up to my wireless router to free up my music on my laptop so I don't have to have it on all the while whilst I want to listen to my mp3's, but I'll allow extra funds for that another time.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post if you have. Any help, suggestions or improvements on things you can offer me are all greatly appreciated.

Carl
  27. schlange

schlange Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to put home automation into the new flat I bought. The home automation should do things like close shutters when sunny, control temp, pull in shades when too windy, control lighting, etc. I also want multi room sound.

Naturally I heard of squeeze box and sonos. But is there something better and that would integrate with iPad controller? For example there are many companies making multiple room sound systems (trivum multiroom audio - Audio und Entertainment für Ihr Zuhause, Kalidescope, b&o, revox, etc). Which systems are really good and can be integrated with the home and which are just over priced junk?
  28. coolio107

coolio107 Member

Ratings:
    +92
    For multiroom there is nothing better than Sonos and Squeezebox. There's Raumfeld which is similar from what I hear (no own experience). Both Squeezebox and Sonos do have iPad apps.
  29. durgen

durgen Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Im in the process of buying a house and while im rewiring it electrically i thought i would take advantage and wire it out for multi room music, i have a basic idea of what i want but i dont really no much about the details or if it will even work im hopeing that someone with a bit more knowledge will be able to fill in the gaps

My setup will be a 1st generation apple tv sat in my living room running 8 or 9 flush mounted ceiling speakers in 6 different rooms

The basic idea is to run speaker cable from the back of the ATV to a switch in the room then to the ceiling speaker, if i do this in each room all the speakers in the house will play at the same time and i can individually swithch off which ever speakers are not in use. Im also wanting to run a couple of cables to 2 wall mounted speaker connection plates next to the patio doors so in the summer i can plug some speakers and sit them on the patio

A couple of questions

1) will this work
    2) which switchs will be best to use
    3) which speakers will be best to use
    4) At the back of the ATV their will be a bundle of 8 or 9 speaker cables will i need any kind of special junction box or will i be able to wire them into a speaker connection plate and plug my ATV into it
    5) Will i need anything else like amps or other stuff

Any help will greatly be appreciated, Thanks
  30. gazsparky

gazsparky Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Currently building a house and wondered if anyone had some advice on systems to play music throughout the house, which would include different zones controlled via lcd keypad etc and would play via i pod,cd and radio. Some advice would be gratefully received. Thanks