1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVForums Apple Airplay discussion thread

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by amcluesent, Sep 4, 2010.

1. bigfecker

bigfecker Member

Ratings:
    +17
    You can't....well you can.

Strangely Apple won't let you Airplay from an iDevice to a Mac laptop or desktop.

However if you install BananaTV on the macbook you can

Banana TV

$7.99 though.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  2. wysinawyg

wysinawyg Member

Ratings:
    +105
    Apple don't (at the moment anyway) make computers "Targets" as it were for Airplay. Its all very much separated into "Targets" (speakers, amps, AppleTV, Airport Express) which will show up when you press an Airplay icon and "Sources" (iPhones, iPads, Ipod Touches, Macs and PCs) which will give you an Airplay icon for you to send music elsewhere.

Luckily for you clever people have produced programmes to bridge the gap, "Banana TV" is one (the only one?) I've seen although does have a small charge.
  3. bigfecker

bigfecker Member

Ratings:
    +17
  4. coachdriver

coachdriver Member

Ratings:
    +15
  5. mark2410

mark2410 Member

Ratings:
    +23
    are there any android apps that will play nice with airplay?
  6. Simba

Simba Active Member

Ratings:
    +350
    With Airplay, if you are using an iphone with youtube for example, can you watch the video on the phone and airplay the audio?
  7. dwhite

dwhite Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,441
    If your airplay receiver is an airport express, you can, because it doesn't accept video. With an apple tv you can't it's all or nothing.
  8. Simba

Simba Active Member

Ratings:
    +350
    What about the marantz cr603? It has AirPlay ( upon upgrade) so what can it do on AirPlay terms?
  9. daveybm

daveybm Member

Ratings:
    +6
    The Apple Airplay upgrade is free from Marantz at the moment, I upgraded my MCR-603 last week it enables you to stream music from your iPhone via your wireless network to your wired connection on your Marantz. It is free for any Upgradeable Marantz unit until the end of the year.

Marantz AirPlay

select upgrade and the free of charge box and then follow the instructions.

Dave
  10. GSARider

GSARider Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Hello chaps, new to the site:hiya:

I'm running a Mac household and have an iMac, iPad 2, iPhone 4S and an Apple TV.

I recently decided to invest in Airplay devices for around the house and have a B&W Zeppelin and also have a set of Bose plugged into my Airport Express Station, so they also act as Airplay speakers.

I'm also looking to get an Altec Lansing InAir 5000 as soon as they're released in the UK...

Video of them on Vimeo.

Altec Lansing Inair 5000 on Vimeo

Any other macheads here? Ay other decent choices for me to look at?
  11. Simba

Simba Active Member

Ratings:
    +350
    If you are watching a YouTube video on the iPhone can you AirPlay the audio over to the system whilst watching on the iPhone ?
  12. dwhite

dwhite Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,441
    @simba you asked that a few weeks ago and I answered (see posts #66 and #67).

To reiterate , if your airplay receiver can only handle audio, then yes you can, as there is no place for the video to go to. If your airplay receiver is both video and audio capable (the ATV not sure there is anything else that can do video at the moment) then both the audio and video are sent.
  13. Simba

Simba Active Member

Ratings:
    +350
    so you did .....not sure why i asked that again...:suicide:

anyway thanks for answering my question on more than one occasion.

glad the audio will be sent to the marantz as it will let me watch video on the idevice. just what i want.

thanks
  14. jreed110

jreed110 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but I've looked and can't find the answers.

I'm slightly confused over the use of the apple airport products. I'm after a device to plug into my amps, particularly my surround amp in the lounge, to enable me to play music from iTunes on my ipad2 wirelessly. I don't need picture. How exactly do these work, do they plug into an input on the amp and just play through that or do the speakers have to be wired in? Also are there any issues over compatibility of amps/speakers? Plus what's the difference between the express and extreme, other than £60?

My amps are the denon 1912 in the lounge and a Cambridge audio of some kind wi my other stereo. Thanks for any answers in advance.
  15. zippyblip

zippyblip Member

Ratings:
    +2
    You need airport express- this has built in airtunes output (3.5/optical out). You can then run this into the optical in on your denon. Your ipad will see the express as speakers and you can route music direct from the music app. You configure the express in the airport utility that comes with the unit to join your existing network or build a new one.

Both the airport express and extreme are wireless routers you can use to build a wireless network (although you still need a modem), but only the express has optical outs and is designed specifically for music. The extreme is a much more powerful router (can run multiple networks, faster etc), but doesn't have the direct outputs for Airtunes.

I've run multiple expresses across my flat to provide different zones- works well.
  16. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +816
    Will Airplay wok with just a Airport Express and an iPad? I had a notion you needed iTunes 10.x running somewhere on the network?
  17. zippyblip

zippyblip Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Interesting question. I don't think you need iTunes anymore - i can stream to express direct without it, but you do need to be able to configure the express itself. Apple have now released a version of airport utility for the iPad which is not bad but i've never used this to configure an express from scratch. Quick bit of googling suggests you can though. I'm away from home so can't test...
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. wysinawyg

wysinawyg Member

Ratings:
    +105
    Requirements for Airplay:

Point to Point - i.e. playing something on an iDevice to a single Airplay device - 1 iDevice and 1 Airplay device, just click the Airplay icon on the iDevice (either in app or by double tapping and swiping left for the global control); Home Sharing (if there is a computer on) gives access to any networked music.

Point to Many - i.e. playing the same song on multiple Airplay devices - 1 Computer and >1 Airplay device, select "Multiple Speakers" in the bottom right corner of iTunes or if you have an iDevice use the "Remote" app and hit the Airplay icon and choose multiple speakers.

If you have multiple iDevices and/or multiple computers you can then get multi-room (with iDevices only) or multi-zone (with multiple computers) as iDevices / Computers on the network all have access to all unused Airplay devices on the network (but you can't push an existing source off of an Airplay device). Macs will also WoL through the remote app so with two Macs and 3 iDevices in the house I can have two zones of multiple rooms (with access to my full library) and still have direct streaming in 3 other rooms of anything available via Home Sharing (or a guest's iDevice if given access to the network).
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  19. jreed110

jreed110 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks to the above suggestions I successfully set up my lounge wirelessly to my iPad. My next plan is to set up the kitchen which currently just has an old Cambridge audio amp and pair of b&w 601 s3's. If I use another airport express can this just be plugged into the back and come straight up as another set of speakers, or will I need to plug it into my router like in my lounge (I found I had to do this for it to work in the lounge). If this is the case I've looked briefly into sonos equipment. I'm not against buying a new amp for the kitchen, could I buy a sonos amp and connect it wirelessly that way or will that not be compatible with iTunes and make things less simple to work alongside my current set up? Again thanks for any suggestions.
  20. wysinawyg

wysinawyg Member

Ratings:
    +105
    You must have wireless so shouldn't need to plug the AEx into the router. Issues usually arise by failing to select "bridge mode" when working wirelessly in the setup options for AEx.

Find that setting and you should get what you want just with another AEx.

Sonos integration with iTunes is pretty good except for podcasts. It also won't do streaming of non-networked stuff from your iPad without adding an AEx.

I'd be tempted to buy an AppleTV though personally and put that in the lounge so you can stream video/pictures there (although you did say you weren't interested it doesn't hurt or cost much assuming you have a free optical audio slot on your amp).
  21. larkone

larkone Active Member

Ratings:
    +360
    Just a warning about the Apple TV - it re-samples everything to 48kHz so your music may not sound as good as using a straight Airport Express - which leaves it at 16/44
  22. jreed110

jreed110 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    After much fiddling managed to get the apple express working without it needing to be plugged into the router, so thank you. I'm now considering getting a second one. My only reluctance is the option of apple tv. Streamed music definitely takes priority at present for me, rather than losing sound quality for a picture, however, is there the likelihood or even possibility newer versions of apple tv could be changed to stream better sound quality? If this is the case I might hold off getting a second express and wait to get apple tv then use my current express in the kitchen?
  23. larkone

larkone Active Member

Ratings:
    +360
    Well Apple changed it from 16/44 on the ATV to 16/48 on the ATV2 so your guess is as good as mine as to what they might do next. Probably something completely proprietary so that their garden wall gets higher.
  24. GSARider

GSARider Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Or they'll activate the bluetooth module that's nestled in the ATV2's and give us bluetooth 4.0 connectivity....
  25. larkone

larkone Active Member

Ratings:
    +360
    Apples implementation of Bluetooth has always been very minimal because they do not want i-things interacting with other makes to do useful things like share contacts, files or photos etc. They like to keep you in their walled garden.
  26. GSARider

GSARider Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Okay...the iPhone 4S has 4.0 connectivity built in already and so does the ATV2, so it seems, on balance, that they will activate it.

Agan the choice to buy any Apple products is down to the individual, if you don't like, then don't buy.

Up til now, Airplay has had better quality than bluetooth, so not sure why the expectation for Apple to support inferior technology.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  27. larkone

larkone Active Member

Ratings:
    +360
    I am not sure why you are touting Bluetooth 4 as a possible improvement as it is just a low energy version of the current bluetooth spec. Therefore it has about half the range (50m v 100m) and much lower throughput (0.26Mbs v 1-3Mbs) than the current spec. I don't see what the advantage is of that other than reducing power consumption on mobile devices.

Apple have a well documented history of problems with their bluetooth implementations and I have been a victim of this when iOS4 broke the bluetooth on my i-phone rendering my car kit useless. I ended up having to get rid of the i-phone when they couldn't fix it, though Apple did eventually admit it was their issue.
  28. GSARider

GSARider Member

Ratings:
    +8
    So let me get this right, you didn't like that Apple didn't develop Bluetooth to your liking previously - that you wanted to use, but now you don't like that they are developing a newer form of aforementioned bluetooth? Interesting...:D

For a lot of people It will be good enough , 4.0 that is amd figures being quoted are up to 200 metres range, however in real terms, probably half that.
  29. larkone

larkone Active Member

Ratings:
    +360
    Not all - Apple killed the bluetooth on my device with an iOS upgrade and admitted it - unhappy yes as it was supposed to be a working feature. You only need to look at the Apple forums to see the issues people are having with Apple's bluetooth implementation. Also Apple have never implemented all of the features of the full BT spec unlike other manufacturers and will not give any details as to why - I questioned a senior Apple corporate person on this and he just shrugged. So it is unlikely we will ever see apt-x on Apple gear.

Not sure where you are getting your figures for the range from as BT 4.0 is designed as a low energy version on the current spec - details here Bluetooth low energy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote: Bluetooth low energy (BLE) is a feature of Bluetooth 4.0 wireless radio technology, aimed at new, principally low-power and low-latency, applications for wireless devices[1] within a short range (up to 50 metres / 160 feet -see table below). This facilitates a wide range of applications and smaller form factor devices in the healthcare, fitness, security and home entertainment industries.

The lower throughput of 0.26Mbps will certainly effect audio file transmission as it is around a quarter of the throughput of the minimum throughput rate of the current spec and that does not have a great reputation for its sound quality.
  30. jreed110

jreed110 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    So what's the actually loss in sound quality with the apple tvmover apple express? Is it going to be noticeable? Has anyone with both an apple express and tv compared the two?