Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AVForums Apple Airplay discussion thread

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by amcluesent, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Marvt74

Marvt74 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Could you not just set up the AE on the regular wireless network? That was what i had hoped to do when i got mine set up
  2. wysinawyg

wysinawyg Member

Ratings:
    +105
  3. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
  4. wysinawyg

wysinawyg Member

Ratings:
    +105
    But was the wife's lappy 64 bit?
  5. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    Yes, all machines are running W7 Ultimate 64 Bit.
  6. sab150

sab150 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    hey, looking for abit of help!

got the zeppelin air and airplay is awesome with it!

only trouble is, I cant listen to any music through headphones when connected to the aux on the zeppelin. is there a correct way of doing this?
  7. Autopilot

Autopilot Active Member

Ratings:
    +992
    If you mean you are trying to use the iPhones headphone socket while it's docked (with an audio device), then you can't as the audio is rerouted to the dock by default. I don't think there is any way around this sorry. The iPhone only produces one audio stream internally.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  8. sab150

sab150 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hey thanks for the quick reply!

But no i am trying to use my headphones with the zeppelin when the iphone is docked. but when i plug them into the aux adaptor (on the zeppelin) i can't hear anything :s I have switched the Zep to the correct input aswell, still nothing.

but weirdly I can when i plug the headphones into the iphones headphone port i they work fine. but i really wanted to take advantage of the zeppelins internal DAC

Do i need an adapter?

my headphones are the B&W P5s so should be compatible?
  9. wysinawyg

wysinawyg Member

Ratings:
    +105
    The Aux adapter is Auxillary IN not out.

Its for plugging other mp3 players etc. into to play through the speakers not for putting headphones in.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. sab150

sab150 Member

Ratings:
    +3

Right okay thanks, is there a way of using my headphones with this then?

The airplay feature works really well on the zeppelin for anyone thats interested. I was previously using my apple tv/5.1 to play music which was abit of a pain having to switch all imputs etc. the dedicated system is defo the way to go.
  11. wysinawyg

wysinawyg Member

Ratings:
    +105
    I don't own one and only had a quick flick through the manual but I don't think so. Certainly there wasn't a mention of any analogue out (other than for video).
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. sab150

sab150 Member

Ratings:
    +3

Yeah same, i think that's why i'm getting so confused with it! can't even find anything on the net anywhere about it.

Cheers for your help though! much appreciated
  13. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +938
    iOS4.3 is now available for download. Streaming support improvements -

iTunes Home Sharing
    Play music, movies and TV shows from a shared iTunes library on a Mac or PC (requires iTunes 10.2)

New AirPlay features
    Play videos from the Photos app including the Camera Roll album, iTunes previews, enabled third-party apps and websites on Apple TV
    Play slideshows from Photos on Apple TV using transitions available on Apple TV
  14. Adam_uk

Adam_uk Member

Ratings:
    +92
    I have read that if you have two Zeplin Air's you can stream to both at the same time.

This would be rather handy at parties and the such.

Sadly I am not sure I can afford two Zeplin's, does anyone know if this would work with two other Air Play speakers or is it specific to the Zeplin?
  15. Member 410254

Member 410254 Member

Ratings:
    +106
    AFAIK this is an AirPlay feature....a kind of party mode. The Zeppelin Air is certainly worth the money for sure.great kit.
  16. Adam_uk

Adam_uk Member

Ratings:
    +92
    Cheers

Yes I hear it's great and will get one. Two might be a stretch though!
  17. Marvt74

Marvt74 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I've just bought an Airport Express. I've plugged it into the wall socket and downloaded the latest version of Airport Utility

However when i open it and click Rescan it doesnt find anything. The light on the AE flashes a Yellow/Orange colour quite slowly.

What am i missing? I'm using Windows 7 on the laptop and want to try and connect the AE to my existing wireless network through a SKY router.
  18. wysinawyg

wysinawyg Member

Ratings:
    +105
    Easiest way to set them up is to stick an ethernet cable between it and your laptop temporarily (I think it says that in the quickstart). Flashing orange just means it doesn't have an internet connection because out of the box its trying to find one and set up its own network.

If you don't have a network cable then I think you have to log into the airport express before you will find it (i.e. ditch the connection to your SKY router and join the new "Appleb468478" or whatever it is your AE has come named as out of the box). Then rescan in Airport Utility.
  19. Ferret

Ferret Member

Ratings:
    +6
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  20. Marvt74

Marvt74 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I realised my stupidity last night in that i bought it used and therefore it was trying to find the previous owners network settings.

I quick reset and i found the device pretty quickly. The only problem was that i then went through the set up of connecting it to my Wireless network and when it restarted it said it was unable to find the device and buggered up the network settings on my laptop to boot!
  21. Member 410254

Member 410254 Member

Ratings:
    +106
    The Zeppelin Air is now in stock and ready to rock and roll, we will be getting our Dem unit out soon with a brief summary of the unit and how well it works.

Regards
  22. Autopilot

Autopilot Active Member

Ratings:
    +992
    I'm guessing it will work pretty well ;)
  23. Geoggy

Geoggy Member

Ratings:
    +55
    I'm picking mine up on Saturday hopefully !
  24. Ferret

Ferret Member

Ratings:
    +6
    So the idea was I had to research multi room streaming so that we could get it for my Dad for his 60th. Trouble is I am now very excited over all this Airplay stuff and his birthday isnt until June and not sure I cant wait that long :(
  25. Justlucky3

Justlucky3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is there an industry conspiracy? I have a rocking Geneva Lab dock....where is the dock dongle that is airplay enabled that can plug into it? I dont mean a bluetooth...I mean a wifi networked solution for lossless streaming? Perhaps a nano....or a solid black ipod shaped apple tv style lossless wireless streamer dongle. The market for this is much larger and a similar price to apple tv will fly...think of the millions of existing ipod docks that rock...Im not the only one who is crying out for this product
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2011
  26. Member 410254

Member 410254 Member

Ratings:
    +106
    on it's way....
  27. Geoggy

Geoggy Member

Ratings:
    +55
    well I picked up my Zeppelin Air on Saturday.

WOW!

Set up fairly easy. I am not a massive audiophile, but I think the sound is awesome. Very full sound with lots of detail.

The integration with Airplay is excellent. Can either use ipod on my iphone, or use Remote app and control my whole music library that is sat on my Mac. Also using TuneIn radio app on my Iphone to listen to Internet radio staions in excellent sound quality.

It also looks amazing.

I love it! Need another one for the kitchen!!
  28. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +938
  29. irbow

irbow Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I would like to ask if anybody has tried the ixtreamer media player. I am asking because this now supports airplay and has an optical out so I should be able to send audio to my dac without turning on the TV, would anybody know if this would be possible.

Thanks, Iain
  30. wozwebs

wozwebs Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Got a question, have an Apple TV downstairs, iMac upstairs.

I can view my iTunes library which is on my iMac on the Apple TV and via Airplay I can use the iPhone Remote app to have the same music coming out of both the TV's speakers and the iMac upstairs.

I now also have a Macbook so was hoping that I could turn that on and it would also be picked up by the Apple TV and Remote app but while I can see 'Macbook' listen in Computers on Apple TV it won't show it when I click on the Airplay icon.

Was hoping to put Macbook in another room, hook up some 2.1 speakers to it and play the tunes over the 3 sets but can't see how to do it :( Any ideas or is it set for just one?