Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AV amp - do I need the Onkyo 607

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by cramman, Sep 14, 2009.

1. cramman

cramman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i need, or want, a new AV amp. Inputs will be V+, CD and PS3 so 2 HDMIs.

Just been to Richer sounds and they say go for the 607. Ideally, I'd like my ampt to deal with all the inputs and output everything else where it needs to go, speakers, tv, etc.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Cramman.
  2. PSM1

PSM1 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,124
    What budget do you have? Are you looking to spend the minimum or want an upgrade on what you currently have. The 607 will dp all you want it too but may cost more than you need/want to spend. The 507 is £250 and will also do all you want.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1 New Member

Ratings:
    +551
    My thoughts are that they sell other brands too at similar prices.

What speakers do you have or intend to buy as this can influence AV Receiver brand choice.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. 24 P

24 P Active Member

Ratings:
    +276
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Passingbat

Passingbat Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,242
    If you read these forums, you will find way too many accounts of some Richer Sounds stores appearing to push Onkyo amps over other brands.

Do your own research on the forums and elsewhere re the merits of Onkyo versus other brands.

In the same price range, there is the highly praised Denon 1910, that 24 P mentioned; winner of the What HIFI group test . Also, the Sony 2400ES also got a 5 star rating from What HIFI, as against the 4 star of the Onkyo.

Home cinema amplifier reviews and Home cinema amplifier Best Buys - from the experts at whathifi.com

As William mentioned, speaker choice wil affect amp choice (or visa versa). So maybe details of the speakers that you have or intend to buy, would help?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. cramman

cramman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest, I don't know what I want to spend but I think 400 would be enough really.

Currently I have an old Technics SA-AX7 amp I think. Speakers are Tannoy, M1's I think, probs upgrade these if I move soon as at the minute I live in a flat and I have all the wires in the walls, speakers on brackets etc. Probably a bit high but that's the crack for now.
    Also, a Yamaha Sub (active 200 watt I think) and a tannoy centre speaker.

If I'm buying an Amp for 400 notes, I want it to be the best I can get, obviously, but, at the same time, if it's total overkill and something for £400 will do the job then what's the point?

Cheers,

Cramman
  7. Passingbat

Passingbat Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,242
    So with the current Tannoy speakers, the Sony or Onkyo would be a better match.

In the budget level, you've got the £250 Onkyo and £280 Sony H800

and in the level above, the Sony 2400 and the Onkyo 607, both about £400.

This review on the nkyo 607 and it's comment on video processing would put me off that

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/onkyo-tx-sr607-black/4505-6466_7-33553470.html

If I was buying and could go to the £400 level, I would as it would give an amp that wouldn't need to be upgraded for a long time. The lower priced amps are good value, but won't sound as good and may lead to 'upgradeitis'!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  8. j17ykp

j17ykp Member

Ratings:
    +1
    my vote would be for the denon 1910 teh reviews seem to have it as the no1 pick for its price bracket (300-400) and it seem'd to me to punch above its weight when i listened to it breifley

before you buy make sure you listen to all options that you want and make you judgement from there as teh 2400,607 and 1910 all decode and play pretty much all teh soundformats you could want, but they reproduce the sound in different ways so one may suit your listening tastes more than the others.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. philbot

philbot Member

Ratings:
    +69
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  10. cramman

cramman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers. :thumbsup:

I'll have to look about, probs worth waiting till after my hols now. Or is it...........