1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automated screen from 12V trigger

Discussion in 'Projector Screens' started by AndyR, Jun 5, 2005.

1. AndyR

AndyR Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought i'd post how i made my projector control my screen using the 12V trigger output and a £10 circuit from Quasar electronics - www.quasarelectronics.com/3084.htm

My screen had a rocker switch that you pressed for up and down. The screen automatically stops at the top and bottom. I took the four wires from the screen (up, down, earth and neutral) and wired them into the circuit board. I also needed to wire in a 12V adapter plug (which i had from an old mobile phone) to power the circuit and connected up an wire to the projector.

The main problem i had was that the supplied drawings of the cicuit board did not match the actual PCB! Therefore i've attached a picture of the circuit board with my wiring. It goes without saying you should be very careful doing this and i didnt test with the projector until i had it all working (instead of the projector i used another 12v adapter and plugged/unplugged it to mimic the projector coming on)

I did it by a lot of trial and error (as i have forgotten my electronics degree!) so i might not be able to answer every question.

Hope this helps others.

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. whisp

whisp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    great stuff m8..gonna give this a try :mad:) :smashin:
  3. Dickster

Dickster Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hey AndyR.

That's a great piece of info. :thumbsup: In fact I was forced to go ahead and purchase the same relay myself to attempt to get the same outcome. And as it's just landed on my doormat, I feel inspired to do something about it.

So I do have a couple of questions though,

I'm going to be trying it with a Beamax screen - is your screen Beamax ?
    And is it necessary to have a constantly connected 12v supply to power the circuit ?, as per your diagram, as isn't the supply from the PJ sufficient to fire it up ? (it's been 12 since I left college - brain failing)

(I must add that they've discontinued your specified circuit but the replacement seems to have the same spec.)

Cheers in advance for any help,

Dickster
  4. deeks136

deeks136 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks AndyR for the circuit diagram. It works a treat .:thumbsup:
  5. jlcrawford

jlcrawford Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi
    Deeks 136 was this easy to do? Do you have to leave the 12v adapter permanently connected and then the 12v from the projector also connects?
    I have ordered a board but have very little electronics skills - a picture or further details on how to do this using the AS3156 would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Jeff
  6. jlcrawford

jlcrawford Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I am surprised that there has been no response to this thread from successful participants. I have bought and configured the relay suggested as replacement for the one linked to by AndyR. I didnt use the "neutral" part of the relay and simply joined the neutrals as per the earth in the image.
    If anyone needs help with what is a great idea and post I will offer my rather limited advice gladly.
    Cheers
  7. scudder

scudder Member

Ratings:
    +56
    Jeff
    Thanks to you, much kudos! I followed your instructions and the cheapo screen I bought is now a fantastic relayed automatic motorised screen. When you get your's set up you will love it.
    The relay that is now supplied is a bit more complex than the original in this thread but using your detailed instuctions it works perfectly.
    I am even more chuffed because I almost bought an OEM relay module that the company wanted £125 for, and using this method I have the same thing for £15 including the 12v supply!
    Superb forum! Great support.
    Anyone going down this route please get in touch for advice...
  8. jlcrawford

jlcrawford Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Having had a few PMs regarding this I'll add my bit to this post to quicken other tryers in getting this up and running

1) loop together the neutral and earth cables from the screen and your 240
    V source ( plug in my case)

2) the live from the plug goes into the Common ( marked C) on one of the
    relays in the centre of NO and NC on my board- you only need to use one of
    the two blue relay outputs.

3) the two live wires from the screen Brown and black in my case go to the
    NO and NC contacts on the blue relay ie they go either side of the 240v live
    input

3) the 12v permanent dc +ve centre feed goes +ve to Vss and negative to
    Ground on the opposit end of the board and the 12v +ve from the projector
    goes into the correponding H1 or H2 depending which relay output you are
    using. The projectore 12v ground goes in the same ground as the permenent 12
    ground.

Hope this helps

Jeff
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. s.morris

s.morris Member

Ratings:
    +49
    Hi all,

It would seem that this board as been replace with a new one

Will this work with a Beamax screen?

Steve

10. Dodgey

Dodgey Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    lol - I did exactly the same with a Quasar relay kit - but I used the RF-remote relay kit as I wanted a remote.
  11. gurney

gurney Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I've got this board too but am not totally sure how to wire it all up. Going from the instructions by Jeff, earlier in the thread, I've done this little diagram. Hopefully someone can confirm whether this is correct or not!! :lease:

Which is the 'up' and 'down' on the board or doesn't it matter?

Also, can this solution also be used in tandem with the existing rocker switch?

Thanks
    Tim

Attached Files:

12. jlcrawford

jlcrawford Member

Ratings:
    +3
    This looks correct - but the +ve 12v from the projector should be in the H1 sensor on the relay board. I now have my screen setup and it is working a treat.
    Cheers
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. gurney

gurney Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the confirmation. This is the corrected version. Will let you know if it works - won't be for a couple of weeks though.

tim

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Cmar-Ireland

Cmar-Ireland Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Do you have to use a seperate 12v supply? Will the pj trigger not supply the power?
  15. gurney

gurney Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I think, hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, that some projectors don't have enough oomph in their trigger signal. I'm using an AE700 and I'm sure I've read previously in this forum that there are issues with its output.
  16. Cmar-Ireland

Cmar-Ireland Member

Ratings:
    +5
    The only data I can find for the HS60 is that the 12v trigger has 4.7kilohms.
  17. coolman

coolman Member

Ratings:
    +5
    on a similer note, i'm not using the relay to power the screen as the macro on my remote does a good job of turning on pj/lowering screen, but as a smoker i am planing to use the relay to use the 12v trigger feed from my ptae700 to automaticly turn on ventelation fans in the ceiling, 1 is above the couch and is an extract, while the other vent is above the projector and is an intake fan blowing filtered air over the lens/intake on the projector to hopefully keep the lens and optics clean
  18. JonnyS

JonnyS Member

Ratings:
    +11
    This could well be a stupid question, but....

Will this work with any electric screen? I'm going to order one from HCSV, which comes with a remote. Will I be able to buy the relay and make the connections?

Thanks in advance....:)
  19. lone ranger

lone ranger Member

Ratings:
    +37
    hi guys, can any 1 tell me where i can buy the jack to take the wires into the trigger output in the projector,also what do you mount your circuit board in/on,where can i buy the 12v adaptor plugs please,thanks all,really enjoying this thread.:thumbsup:
  20. AndyR

AndyR Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Jonny S - it should work with any screen that has a connection for up and a connection for down. On my screen each of these connections takes 240v. it came with a rocker switch that you pressed and held for up and down. the switch was just putting 240v across each connection. so replacing that with a relay was very easy. see if you can get a wiring diagram for the screen.
  21. AndyR

AndyR Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    www.maplins.co.uk is a good place to look for most of this stuff. connection will depend on your projector - most are 3.5mm jacks so you can use a mono or stereo cable and bare the ends at the relay (i used a mobile phone charger lead/socket - but its a bit amateurish - although works). you can get plastic boxes to put the circuit board in, grommets etc etc. i'm about to move all my kit to another room and will tidy this up. i'll post a few pictures in a couple of weeks time.

mine is currently in a tupaware (sp?) container!
  22. alophind

alophind Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys...
    Reviving old thread ;-D
    Any new info about the diagram ? Is there an easier way to do it ? maybe without the constant 12v power source ?

Thanks !!!!
  23. Dodgey

Dodgey Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    tbh it doesn't get any easier than this. And the constant 12v source - well it's no big deal - same as leaving all the other 12v sourced plugged in around the house, you know , like the adapters for pc speakers, adsl modem, cordless phone . etc etc etc!

Why not get the board, wire up your 12v trigger output to the relay, then switch on the PJ and listen for if you can hear the relay "click" - if it does, you don't need the extra 12v source. You can do all of this without touching your current screen wiring - i.e. no mains - so no risk.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. alophind

alophind Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I will do it once I get home (3 hours from now).
    This is how my relay looks like.

To where should I connect the 2 wires coming from the 12v trigger ?

Thank you !!! ;-D
    [​IMG]
  25. Dodgey

Dodgey Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    from your picture, the left side of the board is the "trigger" and 12v side. This is the side for your concern.

Put the negative from the PJ trigger to the "GND" point at the bottom left, then you can put the positive to H1

To help you understand better:

The GND is the common negative for the relay side. Basically, this is needed whatever happens, to make thing work. To create a circuit. Without this, nothing works.

The h1 l1 h2 l2 are all the 4 independent triggers for the four different states the relays can be in. The four states are: Relay 1 : up or down. Relay 2: up or down (or high and low as they are terming this in this case)

You have 2 relays on that board (a relay is simply a switch, like a light switch, that is operated with 12v instead of you actually physically pushing a button). These relays are two way momentary relays. That means they exist naturally in the state of "off" - i.e. they do nothing whatsoever, Or High, or low, depending on where you put the +12v in on the left. When you remove any 12v source, they go back to "off".

So you put your PJ negative to GND, and lets say you put your +12v PJ trigger wire to L1. When the 12v is activated from the PJ that means that the top relay (relay number 1 - hence the "1" in L1) will switch to the "Low" position.

When you get the 12v side working, you then put your Screen mains cables the other side. But obviously follow the supplied diagrams in this thread. You can't do any harm incorrectly chosing L1 H1 L2 or H2 for the positive, it just won't work as expected until you get the right one! :) - i.e. your screen won't come down when you expect it to!

UPDATE - Just want to check the wiring diag for these boards. They are a littel different from mine and I need to be sure of something.. will update shortly
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  26. Dodgey

Dodgey Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually - I have a correction - I will edit above post...

OK - above is totall ******. This is a new unit - I will re explain below... gimme 10 mins
  27. alophind

alophind Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Off topic , On which display mode I need to be in order to see the "above/bottom" threads you're talking about.

I'm linear now which is very confusing because its the opposite of what I'm used to :-D (oldest thread first , newest last...)
  28. Dodgey

Dodgey Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    from your picture, the left side of the board is the "trigger" and 12v side. This is the side for your concern.

Put the negative from the PJ trigger to the "GND" point at the bottom left, then you can put the positive to H1 . You are also going to need to put a little wire joining H1 to "VSS" above it. Without this the chips on the board have no power and nothing will happen at all.

The H1 is the 12v trigger input for the top relay - this is our baby!
    The H2 is the 12v trigger input for the bottom relay (we aint using this)
    The L1 and L2 are not used - these are for triggers of a low voltage

To help you understand better:

The GND is the common negative for the relay side. Basically, this is needed whatever happens, to make thing work. To create a circuit. Without this, nothing works.

The h1 h2 are the 2 independent triggers for the four different states the relays can be in. The four states are: Relay 1 : NC or ND. Relay 2: NC or ND -NC = normally connected. ND = normall Disconnected.

Without any action from you, with no 12v triggers or anything, both relays exist in the "NC" state - that means that on the right side of the relays, the "C" terminal is connected to "NC" - i.e it is normally connected - get it? (I'm talking about internal relay connections btw - don't go linking any of the terminals on teh right together ok!)

So you put your PJ negative to GND, and lets say you put your +12v PJ trigger wire to H1. When the 12v is activated from the PJ that means that the top relay (relay number 1 - hence the "1" in H1) will switch - breaking the link between C and NC and changing the link to be from C to ND.

It's hard to explain without pictures, but the last one posted in this thread is right - except you are going to try it without the 12v poer supply, but put a link between H1 and VSS instead.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. Dodgey

Dodgey Guest

Ratings:
    +0

My bad working, just read the post I just made :)
  30. alophind

alophind Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot.
    2 quick questions :
    1. If ill connect the 12v wires opposite (GND to Positive and Positive to GND) , Will I damage the relay ? (both wires are white , I don't know which is which :-D )
    2. My board has NO C NC like in the picture in the link below (ignore the diagram itself)
    And the screen power cable has only 3 wires (Blue , Brown , Yellow/Green)
    How do I connect the screen power cord to the electricity and to the relay ?
    Do i need to cut the power cord and connect it to the relay and from the relay to the wall (main power) ?!

[​IMG]