Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audiolab 8000DAC

Discussion in 'Hi Fi Systems & Separates' started by ephemeral, Sep 14, 2007.

1. ephemeral

ephemeral Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Got a few q's...

Whats the general concensus on the Audiolab 8000DAC?

What would be a sensible price to pay for one 2nd hand? (Im in the UK)

What similar alternatives are there for a Hifi seperate style DAC as opposed to a smaller USB type unit?

cheers
  2. ephemeral

ephemeral Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    shameful bump
  3. BrianPK

BrianPK Member

Ratings:
    +207
    Highly regarded in its day especially by "What Hi-Fi" mag.One on eBay at the moment..... £235 starting bid .....but no bidders.It's 10 years old and cost approx.£900 new.I don't see too many new dacs coming on market these days.Possibly associated with earlier days of cd but I stand to be corrected.
  4. Dusteh

Dusteh Member

Ratings:
    +23
    £235 sounds like the upper price range of this DAC to me. Its a pretty old bit of kit now, early 90's? I only know because I was thinking about an audiolab DAC a while back myself.
  5. CJROSS

CJROSS Active Member

Ratings:
    +357
    Eph you sould be able to pick up a TAG DAC 20, which is in essence a superior 8000 DAX unit (with HDCD decoder) for £250-300, lovely device, if your hot on USB input, buy a M-Audio USB transit (this will turn your USB port on your PC into an optical transport), Used both bits of kit myself, lovely soounding for both CD, and uncomped WAVs via the transit to the DAC 20.
  6. ephemeral

ephemeral Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice.

The Tag seems very hard to get hold of. Havent found one.

Im currently running an ESI Juli@ sound card using its DAC into an Audiolab 8000A amplifier, soon to be connected to Audio Monitor BR2s.

The Beresford DAC might be a good option from what ive read. Although im wondering how much of an improvement it'll give over using the Juli@'s DAC.