Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audiolab 8000A

Discussion in 'Audio Processors & Power Amps' started by matblack, Jun 6, 2005.

1. the_pauley

the_pauley New Member

Ratings:
    +206
    The fragile sockets are the weak spot of an otherwise great amp.

Your best bet is to buy the set of sockets direct and find a good electrical repair shop to fit them.

I got a complete set of replacement sockets from Tag McLaren for £35. Local TV/electrical repair shop charged me £25 to fit them. Sounds sweeter than ever now. :smashin:

This is as opposed to £120 - £190 :eek: quoted from hi-fi dealers for supply and fitting of the sockets.
  2. Bolle

Bolle Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I got the replacement sockets from Kevin Green, very nice guy:

http://www.theaudiocellar.co.uk/

I did the soldering myself, as it was a nice challenge (never soldered before..) ans it all worked out well. I believe Kevin can install them as well.
  3. digitrixi

digitrixi Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    ;) thanks for the help, contacted TAG MCLaren, £30 quid for sockets, suggested tightening nut on the transformer, which I did, but no effect.
    Sent letter back looking for quote on a new one and asked whether or not the older tranfromer is interchangeable.Waiting for response.Emailed the Audio Cellar also woaiting for them to get back. Is the information on the pre/power modification available online anywhere?

Thanks.
  4. digitrixi

digitrixi Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    For those of you interested Phila Watson at the IAG help desk made the following suggestion regarding the use of two 8000A's:

"If you could get the older model working, i would suggest that you look into
    bi-amping your speakers (if this is possible), using the newer 8000A as the
    preamp to drive the bass section of your speakers and taking a signal from
    the pre-amp outputs to drive the older 8000A, which are connected to the
    tweeter section of your speakers."

It may be worth fixing both amps if this is the case.

BTW have you all spotted the news regarding the Audiolab Autumn relaunch? - probably old news at this stage, new to me though.
  5. Bolle

Bolle Member

Ratings:
    +20
    This wat TAG send me as information for spliting the 8000A in pre and power section.

Please remind that this is for the original 5 input grey fascia model! And I haven't tried it myself as I bought my Parasound amps so there was never the need to use the 8000A as power amp.

- - - -Start TAG e-mail - - -

- - - - End TAG e-mail - - -

Cheers,
    Menno
  6. Zildjian285

Zildjian285 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Heard many good things about this amp, do you think a pair of Monitor Audio S6's would sound good with the 8000A?
  7. Beobloke

Beobloke Member

Ratings:
    +67
    I'll increase your minority to 2! We used to have one in the listening room at my old place and i was always distinctly underwhelmed by it. It wasn't one of the items that mysteriously er...."disappeared" when the company went bust, either, so it appears i wasn't alone!
  8. roversd1

roversd1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    There are 3 generations of 8000A (never officially reffered to as 'mk1/2/3' though)

The earliest has 5 pin Dn connectors, still as good as the later ones but difficult to repair, grey fascia parts all but obsolete.

This was later upgraded to 60w (from 50w) and given nickel phono plugs plus a few internal tweaks ( improved power supplies/ speaker protection and so on)

Then cam the anodised models with gold plugs, further improved innard and an extra tape loop.

All from memory, of course! :D

If you cant find a good 8000A, the TAG McLaren alternative would be the 60i (8000LX) or the 60iRv (8000S).

These were built alot better than the Audiolabs and had a higher grade of components used in them. Whether it made them sound better is hard to say, theres alot of biased opinion still.

The only down side to TMA integrated amps were the lousy BFA connectors, awfull sockets that fall aprt as soon as you look at them.

These can be changed if you are feeling technical.

Other usefull non Audiolab alternatives are:

PA10 (8000C), it has a usefull phono stage

PA20R (8000Q)

60P (8000SX)

100P (8000PX)

125M (8000MX)

CD20R (8000CD)

CDT20R (8000CDM)

DAC20 (8000DAX)

They can all be intermixed and matched with no connection issues and will all sound great.

Interestingly, for those that dont allready know, the new Audiolab range is based on the old TMA gear (which in turn was based on the old Audiolab gear which in turn came out of the old Lentek brand....phew!).

I have lots of genuine Audiolab user manuals available, if anyone wants one, best to email/pm as I'm not sure if rules allow any direct sales
  9. foghorn

foghorn Member

Ratings:
    +21
    I got my 8000A around 13 years ago and on the same day bought an Arcam Alpha Cd player and a pair of Tanoy 609 speakers. When I got into home cinema I decided to go the processor route and now have a Yamaha DSP-800 added to the Audiolab. The whole system is well balanced and I am still very happy with the sound. The other reason I stuck by the 8000A was it matched in well with my Rega Planer 3 record deck.

I was also thinking about the hum you were referring to, I had something similar when I added in the DVD player and processor. Through a matter of elimination it turned out be a pair of interconnects. I purchased an alternative pair with better shielding and it sorted the problem.

Anyhow I hope you get as many years enjoyment as I have got.

Foghorn
  10. digitrixi

digitrixi Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. :)
    The hum is most definitely coming from the transformer.I've had the lid off and tightened the nut. The nut wont fasten any further so I'm presuming the threads on the bolt are shot at that point (not my doing).
    I've been in touch with Kevin Green since and have found him very helpfull.
    May just offer up the older grey unit in payment for sorting out the newer model. Was tempted by some of the 8000P's on Ebay right now, and there's an auction for 4 mono blocks, one lot!! currently £700
  11. stevan

stevan Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    hi

i own an audiolab 8000A and a krell FPB 600 amp. i wanted to try using the audiolab as a preamp. should i just be able to connect the preamp outputs on the audiolab to the inputs on the krell? if so, something must be wrong, since this isn't working. (the audiolab works quite well otherwise, and so does the krell.) what am i missing?

thanks in advance,

sa
  12. the_pauley

the_pauley New Member

Ratings:
    +206
    If the 8000A is working as an amp, then it needs an internal modification to convert it to pre-amp status.
  13. alexs2

alexs2 Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,710
    Interesting combination,and a bit of a quality mismatch at best.

The other question is whether or not your FPB is fitted with Krell's CAST inputs,and if so you will need to use the balanced inputs instead,and an adaptor for the phono(RCA) single-ended outputs of the Audiolab when converted to a preamp.

May I ask what you're using as a preamp for the Krell currently?
  14. stevan

stevan Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks to both of your for your quick responses. i think you've cleared up my question, which is whether the audiolab would sense that its preamp output was in use and produce the appropriate output. (as you can tell, i'm a listener, but not a fiddler.)

my main listening setup normally uses a kps 25 cd player/preamp, but that unit is on its way to the shop for repairs. so i was hoping that i could use the audiolab from my secondary system as a temporary stand-in. but if it involves surgery on the internals, i'll pass.

the krell setup drives a pair of apogee divas; the audiolab a pair of sonus fabers. all the equipment is about 10 years old.

thanks again,

stevan
  15. ashworth999

ashworth999 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    To add some support to the 8000A on here I would like to say that I bought one on Saturday from a local HiFi dealer for a meagre £150. It was to upgrade from my existing NAD C340, to partner an Arcam CD72T and power a beautiful pair of Ruark Prologue One speakers.

I wasn't expecting a massive improvement since most "upgrades" I have made in the past have been subtle to questionable improvements. However, the Audiolab changed the sound of my system completely. It made the NAD immediately seem overly warm and muddled. The treble was a revelation being impressively clear and open. Vocals sounded totally different bringing them more to the front and extending the top end. Imaging was also improved as was the ability to pick out individual instruments in the mix. I can appreciate the talk of the sound being dry/harsh as the treble was so clear, perhaps this comes down to source matching?

I for one love my 8000a

I will try to dig out the serial number but think it was a B or D (its black fronted with gold phonos).

Thanks to all the previous posters and please PM me if you can get hold of any 8000a manuals!

Thanks

Rich
  16. paul j uk

paul j uk Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    For years and years I drooled over the 8000a. Last week I finally got one.
    It's black faced and in immaculate condition. The serial # strangely enough contains no letters at all. It is an American model, so i don't know if that makes a difference?

I have left the power on since I first plugged it in.

Before I bought the Audiolab I was using a Kenwood VR-209 amp and wall mounted Mission 732's. I liked the sound that produced but was eager to see how the Audiolab would match up.

The sound in comparison is very thin and I just stand there and listen and to be honest it doesn't involve me at all. I even moved the Missions to stands
    ( where they should be) and it made no difference.

Just to clarify, the midrange is very muddled, there is no umph! in the bass and I'm listening but I'm just not feeling it. There is a something is definitely missing!!! Basically sounds as it the speakers are in a sealed cardboard box ,very compressed and dead.

So the question is this:

Is this how the Audiolab sounds, or do I need different speakers?
    I'm happy to spend a little on new speakers ( thinking of Epos ELS-3's or Onix X-Ls from AV123), but don't want to do that if the sound I am hearing is just how the 8000a is.

Please can you advise on speakers that are compatible, even if older models that are available.

Just to let you know what I am listening to ( a little embarrassing) :
    Goldring Lenco GL75 deck
    Sony Mini-Disc - with recordings made from my old Linn Sondek LP12.
    Philips DVD player for CD.
    Solid Soundworks subwoofer.
  17. Import racer

Import racer Member

Ratings:
    +87

Think it could be the dvd player ? , think these were supposed to be used with a £400+ cd player
    i.e audiolab ,mission, arcam etc.
    everyone else seem to love theirs.

regards
  18. cn9601

cn9601 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    :hiya: Hi, notice that this thread is dated as far back as in year 2005. So hopefully it is still being actively read. Anyway, I have owned the Audiolab 8000A for > 7yrs, which was initially linked up with Bose :eek::rolleyes: Just recently, in fact < 2 mths, after upgraded from Yammy 995 to Onkyo 875, I have been 'wisely' enlightened to use the Pre-Out :D

For movie, the setup is:
    Onkyo 875 > Ctr channel & Surr L/R channels
    Onkyo 875 > Pre-Out Front L/R > RCA Interconnect > Audiolab 8000A Video IN > biwired using Output A & B > Mission 774

Therefore, I am using the Phono Input to integrate Audiolab and Onkyo. In fact, I have been asking around why I could not use Audiolab Power Amp IN terminals, which now I understand that due to Audiolab 8000A onboard design, I could not use it.

Now, I am quite clumsy with DIY stuff, so I am unlikely to do the 'soldering' stuff. The question is: what is the difference or improvement to use Phono Input or Power Amp In? And more importantly, am I making any grave mistake in my HT setup? :rolleyes:

:lease:
  19. stuart2

stuart2 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I've just spotted this thread. I got my Audiolab 8000A in March 1991. It's still going strong. I partnered it with Epos ES-11 speakers which sound a bit 'boxy' now (well always did really). I am thinking of upgrading the speakers to B&W CM7's. Would they be too much for the Audiolab?
  20. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Wish I'd seen this thread last week. I was at my folks last w/e and noticed my old 8000A hidden beneath a cloth thing in my old bedroom. I'd forgotten I even had one.

I've been listening to a lot more music recently as I got round to sticking a load of my tracks on a NAS and I can't help but feel that my old Sony is'nt as good as I could get with stereo stuff. I'd been toying with replacing the sony with an ARCAM Diva as I reckon my Neats should be ok with one (many moons ago I used the 8000A biamped with a Lumley ST-70 driving the neats (that was f*ng brill), before having to let the Lumley go (wish I had'nt done that either now just ebayed one :eek:) as I was a bit poor after uni. However seeing this thread as piqued my curiosity about using the Audiolab as the power section for the Neats. I've no idea what revision it is but its black and I think its probably a mkII I got it second hand in 96 it does have crumbly phono connectoritis as well!! I don't actually know if she still goes:clown:.

Is it worth bring the old girl down from my folks if she needs a bit of tlc to get her going again? I do work at an electronics firm so one of the hardware guys could probably errmm help me out if certain things are buggered and I knew what it was likely to be. What tends to go on them? That and it would save me £1500 on a DIVA350, unless I can find a 300 going cheap?
  21. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Never mind the AV receiver would have to be replaced if I wanted to BIAMP anyway. Does'nt have Pre-outs on it. Poot.
  22. janchadaj

janchadaj Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A late post but hopefully you will find this usefull.
    The 8000a is a great amp but you know that already. Yes never turn it off. Cables are vital to get the best from it. For interconnects the most transparent are Van Den Hul First The Ultimate. Forget the price, these let everything through from the source and add nothing AND they do improve all that is good about the 8000 series. I won't describe it just listen.
    Next are speaker cables - Try Chord and if you can afford it Odyssey (Signature is an improvement, but fails the wife and wallet factor). Again they enhace but probably the bass and opennness are the key improvements.
    Finally should you wish to play, you may have seen comments about adding other audiolab bits. Well most owners of high end starte dwith the 8000A. Start with a P, then swap the P for a Q, then add Ms. For awesome sound add 1 M per drive unit and get awesome detail and stereo stage. Connect all with VDH 1st Ultimate and top end Chord cable.
    Incidentally Audiolab work really well with Ruark speakers.
    Use pre out from from your AV to keep your stereo pair clean.

Enjoy
  23. windwss

windwss Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Just some sharing, in case you are willing to modify the 8000A there are several way to improve / change the sound dramatically.

To further improve on the resolution, transparency , musicality and bass --> change all the e-cap in the preamp part to blackgate.
    if need further improvement in detail then change the evox mkt film cap to other like ERO 1837 especially the 0.1uf IN THE MIDDLE OF THE 2 RESERVOIR CAP.

To increase smoothness--bypass a 0.47uf/50v blackgate nx-hi-Q at the 10000uF reservoir cap.

To increase the warm sweet vocal --> change the 10000uF reservoir to Jensen E-cap.

change the opamp (TL072) to either OPA 627 or AD825 or OPA 2132.

I have own it for 3 years and had modify a lot.... currently still using it, but only use its power amp section as i had DIY a 5687 tube preamp.....
  24. alexs2

alexs2 Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,710
    For anyone adding DIY hints please also add that any mods should only be performed by competent individuals,and also to remember that reservoir caps can hold a substantial charge for some time after the amp is switched off.
  25. porkinz

porkinz Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hey guys, I am looking at getting this amp off a work friend... It's in perfect working condition I am told...
    But the rest of my system is pretty new. I have a cambridge audio 340a se amp, marantz 5400cd player and wharfedale 9.1 diamonds.
    My question is.. Replacing the ca amp with the audiolabs one, will it be alright considering that the cd player and speakers are pretty budget... Unfortunately, I wont have a chance to audition this before I buy it. Thoughts and opinions appreciated. Is the amp too good for this system?
  26. dablk

dablk Member

Ratings:
    +35
    If they are a true friend then why not ask if you can borrow it too try?

I have just started messing with getting some audiolab kit together as i want to try pre/power combos instead of my av kit. Most folk I have spoken to seem to regard it as very neutral kit...what goes in comes out...nothing more nothing less...hence I guess why you find people talking about changing the interconnect having more of a bearing.

How this will change your own kit i'm sorry i cant help. I would guess it should have a bit more real guts than your cambridge... but you are also talking about new kit vs 10 year plus old. Also note that if you need to either have z-plugs, bfa's, spades or bare wire to plug the speaker cable in....an utter pig for those that forked out for factory fitted bananas!!

However the other beauty of the orginal kit (not the new china stuff) is that it has now depreciated, still popular and generally you can sell it again near for what you paid for it!

To actually answer your question...hell no it wont be too good for your kit...the only time this really would matter is difficult speakers being driven by a cheap amp....or if your sticking somthing silly like a £2000 cd player through an 90's awia midihifif...if you get my drift.

Everyone has there own budget/goals. Some get just as much out of a £200 system as other get from a £20,000 one...
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  27. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin Member

Ratings:
    +228
    Depends, if you are planning on adding other bits of kit to replace the CDP and speakers eventually no I don't think its an issue at all. Bearing in mind that Wharfdale, Quad and Audiolab are all owned by the IAG group it might not hurt to look towards their kit for replacements when you decide you want them....
  28. Jacob1

Jacob1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    anyone still got information on audiolab 8000a and 8000p setup?