Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audiocom International Mods Problem

Discussion in 'Hi Fi Systems & Separates' started by melkior, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melkior

melkior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I all,

I have a problem with this site dedicated to mods for amp, DAC, CD player...
    I sent them my Unico CD one month ago for a mod which was supposed to take 4 to 5 days, but I still don't have news.
    I sent them several mails, first they told me they didn't received my mail confirmation for the mod and price, but I did it twice, and meanwhile they were "waiting" for my confirmation the debited my credit card ! How can they take the money if they didn't receive any confirmation from me ?
    Later the guy told me he was hill and so the mod would be delayed a few days, but it makes now one month and really it's not serious at all.

Any of you know this site and have experienced such problems ?

Thanks.

David.
  2. melkior

melkior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Nobody has some feedback about this web site ? I'm starting to be fed up with them, nearly 8 weeks I sent them my player and still no news :mad:
  3. alexs2

alexs2 Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,710
    The only feedback I can give is having contacted them before Xmas to ask about some mods for a DAC,the replies were immediate and courteous.

Unfortunately,I can't offer anything more than that.
  4. -Ad-

-Ad- Member

Ratings:
    +213
    They were OK for me for me on my first outing but quite slow. To be fair though they were apparently going through a stock check/clearance, and upgraded my order for free with better caps than i asked for.

Second time a voltage regulator wasn't working properly with any load through it, and they replaced it very quickly.

I will always use sercal electronics for any mods to my equipment, brent is a great guy, very helpful, and their mods are much much better value than audiocom :)
  5. melkior

melkior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    When I first contact them I had also a quick answer, well documented, very attractive and Pro. But once my CD player was sent, strangely everything turn out to be different..Mails "Lost", credit card debited without I gave validation for the mod, no mail to follow up the progress of the mod, when I phone they say there's no problem the mod is in progress, they have just some delay because the guy in charge of it have flue (seems that company has just one employee or what?)..

I made a mod in USA (Underwood HiFi) of a DAC and they were perfect, no problem at all.

I'm living in France so what can I do to get back my player modded or to get my money back ? Any institution I can contact in UK to start some official action ?

Anyway thanks for your previous answers.
  6. -Ad-

-Ad- Member

Ratings:
    +213
    Just pester and pester them. You will jam up their phonelines, so hopefully they'l take note and sort you out.

THey don't seem dishonest or scammers, just a bit slow and disorganised.
  7. melkior

melkior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Yesterday I sent to Audiocom the link to this topic about them, I also sent to the person in charge of their EBay store a message saying I had no news from Audiocom and I was about to write a very bad EBay evaluation , and what a surprise, today I have at last a message saying the player will be sent back begining of next week.

Hope it's not just a promise to gain time.

I have no doubts that the job will be well done (hum..I hope so!) but what a bad communication and lack of consideration of the customer.

Anyway I will keep you informed if the player really come back home in time and if the mod deserve all these troubles !!
  8. melkior

melkior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Bad news :rolleyes::rolleyes:

After 3 month the guy from Audiocom told me there was a problem with my player, it doesn't accept anymore the CD's and the tubes are glowing too much !
    Ok the player has always had a slight problem to open but I bought it 2 years ago and it has always played Cd's without problems excepted this bug.

Seems the first modification they made were wrong :thumbsdow

So the guy proposed to send the player to fix the bug to Godstone HiFi in Surey, and again no news at all !! I asked them if they sent it or not, no answer as usual.

So today I have no player, I paid 1300 £ for the mod, I just can look at my amps, Ok they look nice but it was not the purpose :cool:

I'm really fed up with them, what do I have to do ? Go to their mess by myself and get my player + money back ?

:mad::mad::mad:
  9. Audiocom

Audiocom Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +4
    Mr Cuvinot

You sent us a CD player with faults, the CD tray opening is temperamental at best and when it does finally open it will not always play CD’s. During the modification the problems with disc reading worsened and the player developed a further fault with the tubes in the analogue stage.

We have kept you up to date with e-mails and wrote to tell you we would cease modifying your unit due to the faults. We explained you could keep the modifications we had installed to date, refund your money, and send your CD player to a freelance engineer to have it repaired. We explained that the engineer was very busy and the timeframe was unknown.

We have had issues with your CD player from the outset, you did not make us aware of any of the faults with your CD player when we agreed to undertake modifications, if you had of told us there were faults we would not of agreed to modify your player.

As per our last e-mail we are refunding your money and shipping your CD player to you.

Sincerely,
    Audiocom
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. melkior

melkior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Cool !

At last some news.

EDIT : it took me 10 minutes by phone with my credit card to pay and 2 days to send via UPS my CD player. I don't expect a so short delay but be sure I will close this thread indicating honestly how long it took you to do what you wrote above (refund + CD back home).
  11. sue_hall

sue_hall Member

Ratings:
    +95
    melkior,

I kow the Unico CD player having had a couple of them. The issue you have with the drawer not opening is a trait of the older generation of Unico's. It's not a problem per se, just a feature. You'll also find it takes a while for the player to respond to commands from the remote etc.

The non reading skipping of Discs etc sounds like either the laser is mis alligned or the transport mech may be on its way out.

The official dealer for the UK for Unico kit is a guy called nick at UKD (www.ukd.co.uk). Give him a call and he may be able to fix the transport / laser issues at reasonable cost.

Unfortunately, the drawer not opening from the remote issue can't be fixed as its to do with the software / firmware of the player. The newer ones run completely different software so older gens can't be upgraded.

Out of curiosity, do you have a Dac switch on, as well as a digital in on the back of the player? or have you just got balanced, rca and digital out?

Rob
  12. melkior

melkior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the info. I had my player since 2 years and have always had a problem when I first switch on the player in the morning, I had to press open / close several times before it opens, but later it worked fine al day long without problem. So I never worried about this bug
    I never had a problem with one tube glowing more than the other, there's an auto-bias on this player and I have the same matched pair of tubes in place since 1 year.

Anyway before doing anything I should first get my player back (no news at all at the moment = :thumbsdow Audiocom ) and a refund to pay for fixing it.

I like this player, I would have never sent it to UK for a 1325 £ mod if I had any doubts about it (I would have bought an other one for this price!).

Anyway some kind people of this forum gave me some other sites which can make modifications.

But I need the player back for that.

Concerning the connection, I have Both RCA + XLR and also Coax In and Out (Unfortunately I don't have my player with me so can't check for Digital In but I'm quite sure there's one). Don't remember for optical out. anyway in the manual, there's an added green page saying the player has a software update.

Thanks for your help.

David.

Edit : for the 1300 GBP I paid , I could have had a brand new Unico CD, I wouldn't have spent time to send it for mod If I was not honest.
  13. melkior

melkior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry just check your mails, this is a copy of the one I sent you , I have this mail in my "sent messages" as an evidence you're wrong. I send it to you before you get the player.

RE: "unisson research unico cd upgrades" Tracking number‏
    Sent: Tue 29/01/08 18:48
    To: Audiocom International Ltd (********@audiocominternational.com)
    Hi Mark,

For payment it's as you want, credit card or paypal (I have a verified account). Just send me a mail when you receive the Unico and have a glance inside, so that I can call you and discuss about improvement you think suitable and price related.
    Tubes have been already changed for Mullards Black sable + dampers.

The CD has some problem to open the first time after switching it on, it can be necessary to push open / close several times before it opens, later no problem it works well. So don't be surprised :))

David.

I can provide any details about this mail. As you see I have more respect for privacy than you have, I put some stars in place of the names.
  14. melkior

melkior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Other point to clarify, Audiocom was aware of the problem to open the drawer (see my previous post), and anyway we had some exchange of mails on this subject when they received the player and before starting the mod :

Audiocom adviced me on the 1st of February about the drawer problem (mail available upon request)

My Answer on the 2th of february : (mail available)

Hi Mark,

No problem it's "Normal", after the first switching on the disc tray has some problems to open, you have to press "open" and then "close" several time (waiting each time for the Unison Logo to be displayed on the screen), after 3 or 4 times it opens. If not after 15 - 30 min switched on, when the player is warm, it works better. After first opening, there's no bug any more untill you switch it off and on again. Don't know why !

David.

Althought Audiocom was AWARE of the problem before starting the mod, they anyway went on with the mod when they should have stopped, so it's their responsibility . If they did it it's because they thought there was no problem to make the mod (and for me there was honestly no problem to go on). It's only on the 14 of March after some modif already done (one month and 10 days later, after I don't know how many mails from my part to get news !!) they told me the problem was worse on the player and they decided to stopped the mod (mail available)

So, sorry but who's wrong in this story ? What happened between the 2nd of February and the 14 th of March ? Why they lie saying they were not aware about the problem when themselves mentioned it by mail when they received the CD? I can supply all the mail exchange since the begining if necessary.

Any comments Alexs2 and Flimber ? Want a copy of the mails ?
  15. 2channel

2channel Member

Ratings:
    +0
    having what seems to be a very similar problem, only six weeks waiting but was told the mods didnt work as my player developed a fault which they dont know how to fix.

have not as yet offered to do anything to resolve this, and dont answer e mails

hope you are haveing better luck getting your money back
  16. alexs2

alexs2 Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,710
    As this is now developing into an airing of a dispute between a forum member and a supplier,I am now closing this thread.

This is essentially private business,and whilst the thread will be left for others to read,I will re-open it only when there is progress or resolution.
  17. melkior

melkior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for re-opening this thread.

I received my player in good conditions, so it has been done in time. Unfortunately It doesn't work anymore :(

Now Just waiting for the refund.

Meanwhile I went for an Ayon CD 1 :thumbsup:
  18. melkior

melkior Member

Ratings:
    +3

Still waiting since the 8th of April for the refund as written above.
    We are on the 26th and Nothing.

So ? "Sincerely" was not really the right word.
  19. alexs2

alexs2 Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,710
    I have invited Audiocom to respond,as it seems only right and fair that they be allowed the opportunity to do so.
  20. melkior

melkior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Totally agree.

Edit : They asked for my credit card number on the 15th of April and I gave it to them the same day. I had already gave them the datas of my bank with IBAN code for money transfer on the 5th of april.
  21. melkior

melkior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I received a Message from Audiocom today telling me they have credited my Visa card as a refund.

Seems things turns out to be OK. Let's check if the operation is completed.

:)
  22. alexs2

alexs2 Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,710
    Good news.

Hope it gets sorted to your satisfaction.
  23. Audiocom

Audiocom Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +4
    Mr Cuvinot

As agreed we have returned your Unico CD player which you have received. The refund for GBP 1325.00 was also made. We had a problem with the refund because the card details you provided to us did not match the card used for the transaction. We subsequently received a letter from the Cardnet fraud/risk department querying the refund to a different card, since this is against their policy. After discussion they agreed to honour the refund and as previously advised the funds will show on your next statement.

If you have any questions please contact us.

Sincerely,
    Audiocom
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. melkior

melkior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    As I explain in a previous mail the card to pay the mod has been canceled and then replaced by a new one.
    Anyway I have the money on my account to everything is ok now.

Thanks for you efforts.

This thread can be closed now. :thumbsup:

Edit : Thanks Alexs2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.