Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio options

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by TQS, Nov 25, 2012.

1. TQS

TQS Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi

I have been looking at purchasing the Sonos Play 3 as an entry into wireless sound however i wasn't that impressed with the sound quality.

Also, on further research, it appears that you cannot play music from the iphone directly using the Sonos app - i'd have to stream it from itunes on my laptop or a NAS (which i don't have)

So i'm wondering if the following wireless product is out there?

- can play music directly from iphone
    - can link into my Sky box to stream sound instead of the TV speakers
    - can play internet radio
    - can stream stuff like Napster for other music options
    - can play different music in different rooms (for when i have more than one speaker)

Basically everything the Sonos does i think but with full iphone capability

I don't currently have much by way of audio but am willing to shell out a few hundred quid and then build it up from there
  2. therixonator

therixonator Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Sonos used to make an apple dock. You can still get the second hand. So long as your iPhone isn't the latest version that would work. You can set it up to carry on playing what was playing when you come in the door.

Or otherwise, you could look into apple express. I think that works with I devices direct. It doesn't do multi room like Sonos though.
  3. juggler

juggler Member

Ratings:
    +36
  4. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +938
    OP, most peeps would stream music from the PC/laptop that holds iTunes and just use the iPhone as the controller.
  5. TQS

TQS Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks - so if i were to go for this option, would the laptop need to be switched on when i want to stream music from it?
  6. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +938
    Yes.
  7. therixonator

therixonator Member

Ratings:
    +40
    If keeping a laptop on is a bind, look into NAS Drives, basically a low power storage device that can be read by compatible network devices (like most streamers). They can wake up when required and are usually pretty quiet.
  8. therixonator

therixonator Member

Ratings:
    +40
    TQS, just read on another thread that there is a software update coming from Sonos which will allow you to stream direct from an ios device.
  9. rorton

rorton Member

Ratings:
    +30
    yep, update out today, and works a treat, select the tuns from your phone, and away you go!
  10. TQS

TQS Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I know! I actually thought sod it and went and bought it on Monday anyway and now my only gripe has been answered

Very happy with the 3 and tried it out this am from my iPhone which worked a treat!

Now then, if there was a simple way to stream the sound from my sky hd box it would make it the complete product and probably force me to buy another couple of units

Sonos - are you listening? :)
  11. therixonator

therixonator Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Can you give me some details please? I don't have any apple gear to test it. The iPod dock was a bit limiting, so I'm interested to see if this has improved.

Does the iDevice appear in the menu alongside library, radio, spotify etc?

If you have 2 devices do they appear separately?

How are the tracks indexed, is it one long list or does is subdivide by artist/album?

Can you search the same way as in the library?

Can you add tracks to the queue as normal?

Can you autoplay? I.e. if you're walking home with your idevice playing, when it gets in range of your router, will it continue at a set volume in the zone of your choice? (A good feature of the dock)
  12. therixonator

therixonator Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Re sky audio streaming. This is possible with Sonos. In fact it's pretty good at it. Albeit it can't be done with the Play 3 as it has no line in.

This is what I do...

Take an twin ended phono/rca cable from the analogue audio out of the sky box to the line in on the connect (on the play 5 it is a 3.5mm headphone jack).

In the Sonos settings for that zone with the sky box on, I name the source, set the auto volume and the auto room.

Now every time the sky box comes on, the line out sound will auto play in the zone of my choice. I play it in the kitchen so that I can hear the football if I go to the fridge. I set the auto volume to zero and just turn it up on the box if I want it.

Also great cos I normally have the radio on in the kitchen, but it gets auto switched off when I turn the sky on in the living room which is just what I want.
  13. rorton

rorton Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Device appears in the menu and it reads the track lists in the fly. If you have 2 devices, its only the device you are using that shows up. Add tracks as normal. not sure on the Autoplay

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. therixonator

therixonator Member

Ratings:
    +40
    I see, so you can only control the music on the device, from the device itself? That makes sense. But once a track has been added to the queue, any controller can see it/play it as normal.