Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audio Interface and software for song writing musician

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by Tremolo Arm, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Tremolo Arm

Tremolo Arm Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello
    I am a guitarist / songwriter.

As I am moving into a flat, I can no longer use my amps, so I will be venturing in the virtual amp simulation / recording world.

I have not bought any amp simulation software yet, but will probably settle on either Guitar Rig, Amlitube or Logic Express.

Considering I know nothing about virtual simulation, can anyone point me into the right direction in terms of the pros and cons of the various products?
    I need realistic amp simulation and a large pool of drum patterns, with the ability to knock out descent recordings.

I have already invested in some descent monitor speakers.

Also, I have a JamVox which I use for practicing. Can I use the JamVox as an Audio interface? How would it compare to some dedicated interfaces such as the Apogee series or Line 6 UX series?
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. woodall57

woodall57 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    In regards to software wise, go with guitar rig, it offers a nice selection of pre sets, but also loads of customisability of new one, from amp heads to phasers.i
  3. woodall57

woodall57 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    If you want dru. Patterns look at fxpansions BFD 2, the dogs ******** of drums lol
  4. penguinpaul

penguinpaul Member

Ratings:
    +95
    The amp simulators in Logic are pretty damn good! I don't know if Amp Designer comes with express, but it deffo comes with Pro 9, which is about £120 ish on the app store. Plus it's amazing for everything else, great recording DAW.
    Fantasticly easy to use too - just add it as in insert on your track.
    Personally I prefer Logic as a DAW to even Pro Tools.
    If you can stretch to it, you'll never regret it. :)

As for an interface, the JamVox seems to function as USB input/output so yes it should be fine. Wouldn't like to comment on the sound quality though. If you decided to buy an interface, you'd need a DI box to let you connect your guitar straight into the mic inputs.