Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audessey Eq setting

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by The WB, Aug 31, 2006.

1. The WB

The WB Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Today I watched a movie in a Flat eq setting. I have to admit is sounded to me much better than the audessey eq. I found everything just right, I found it had a warmer sound while the audessey had a brighter sound. What eq setting do other members use it will be intresting to know.I find it good in music as movies also which was recommended to me.
  2. Dr Manhattan

Dr Manhattan Active Member

Ratings:
    +565
    I found the opposite. For Movies the Flat setting appears a bit brighter so I prefer the Audyssey setting. If you use any of the THX Modes with EQ make sure it's set to Flat as well, rather than Audyssey.
  3. The WB

The WB Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    How come? And yes I always watch my movies in THX mode is that why mabey audessey came into bright for me?
    Cheers!
  4. Dr Manhattan

Ratings:
    +565
    Should be the other way around if you use Audyssey with THX, it can kill the higher frequencies stone dead as Audyssey uses a roll off and so does THX processing. Flat doesn't roll off the treble so lets THX Re-Eq do it's thing properly.

If Audyssey is bright then I'd have a go at re-running the EQ again.
  5. DeafPhil

DeafPhil Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with The WB, when I use Audessey EQ I lose most of the bass making it sound much brighter. Using the Flat EQ with THX (which is what the manual says you should use if I remember correctly) increases the impact of explosions etc. in movies
  6. The WB

The WB Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    the way you put it deafphil was right, that is exactly what i was experiecing also. I definelty found I had much more impact in sound of flat eq. i also read it on a audessey article regarding thx saying it has to be flat eq. So you both were right in being flat eq on thx.
  7. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy Member

Ratings:
    +35
    When set to Audessey it actually performs some of the role off of high frequencies but not to the level of that used in cinemas. THX processing performs the role off in the same way has the cinema. Rarely would you use the two together. (just for anyone who is reading this and think what are they on about)
  8. GlynH

GlynH Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Wasn't there some issues with earlier software causing a bass suck-out?

Does your XV have current software?

Please don't ask me what is current and what version mine is - it's still in the box...:eek:

Kind regards,
    -=Glyn=-

9. Dr Manhattan

Ratings:
    +565
    Early A1XV's and A11XV's had a problem with Audyssey as it wasn't EQ'ing correctly below 100hz and was also over-emphasizing the higher frequencies a bit too much. I believe THX Ultra2 BGC (Boundary Gain Compensation) was also defaulting to ON.

Yours should have the latest firmware so will be fine. :)
  10. The WB

The WB Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Talked to chris from audessey today and he said the THX and Audessey eq do not go together because the sound is to bright. Thx has to run flat eq.