1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

attempting to take broken ps3 back to currys

Discussion in 'PS3 Forum' started by scotsbhoy1, Feb 11, 2012.

1. scotsbhoy1

scotsbhoy1 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    hi.basically my ps3 stopped working a couple of days ago, it wont read disks and after some research it seems that the lazer has burned out, i have already tried all the 'fixes'.

what im asking is since the ps3 is a month under 2 years old i was going to take it back to currys,where i bought it and ask for a replacement under Article 5 of the EU Product Warranty Directive (1999).i expect alot of resistance but im wondering if i have a chance of succefully getting a replacement or even money towards a new one?
  2. Fmrl

Fmrl Active Member

Ratings:
    +413
    It's definitely worth a try but I thought they'd refer you back to the manufacturer?
  3. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,613
    Nope
  4. scotsbhoy1

scotsbhoy1 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    as far i am aware the Article 5 of the EU Product Warranty Directive (1999) gives you a 2 year guarentee on products
  5. Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,613
    There is no mandatory two year warranty - when the directive refers to a 'warranty' it is actually referring to a limitation period. In the UK we already have a six year period.

As your item is over 6months old it is up to you to prove the fault, you will need to have a report from an independent & impartial engineer and then forward this to Currys.

Taking the faulty item to the store at this stage is pointless.
  6. Jonstone

Jonstone Active Member

Ratings:
    +284
    As CrucialM4 says you are covered by the sale of goods act under the reasonable durability clause.

Any action you take under the act will be against the retailer, but getting any actual joy from the process is far from certain.

In principal you have a case, but in practice it may involve expense and time (small claims court etc) on your part with no guarantee of success at the end.
  7. Hpi_matrix

Hpi_matrix Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Worth a shot, you might get someone nice on shop floor