Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ATI Radeon 9600XT Graphic Card Noisy fan

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards & Internal Video Devices' started by PINGLE, Apr 20, 2008.

1. PINGLE

PINGLE Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The fan on my graphics card;

Medion ATI Radeon 9600 XT

has recently become very noisy, taking the side off I can see it is still spinning but obviously there is a problem.

Can I easily get a replacement fan or do I need to replace the Gr card? Any help would be much appreciated, I am not very technical so please talk in layman terms.
  2. kennyhkw

kennyhkw Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Is it clogged up with dust? If so take the card out and use a small paintbrush to remove the dust. Make sure u have a hoover on next to it to catch all the dust.
  3. PINGLE

PINGLE Member

Ratings:
    +1
    That was my first thought but even after a good clean-up it is just as noisy, I just don,t know if it,s easy to find a replacement fan or if I need a new card.
  4. Miss Chief

Miss Chief Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,114
    Well, that card is rather getting on a bit so a new card, being an AGP card won't be that expensive. When i had problems with my old 9600Pro fan running slowly I couldn't find an aftermarket cooler for that card.

Something like This will be far faster than your current card, won't break the bank and you get free delivery from Scan thanks to this forum! If you game at all the 512MB version is only slightly more expensive.

(20 posts required in order to qualify for free delivery though.)
  5. kennyhkw

kennyhkw Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Dont bother with a 512mb card, jus costs more money and has no advantage wotsoever. Save some money and just get the 256 version.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. PINGLE

PINGLE Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your replies.
    I don,t do games so in that respect won,t need anything too hi-spec.
    The cards mentioned, will they slot straight in? As mentioned I,m not too clued up technology wise.
  7. Miss Chief

Miss Chief Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,114
    Yes, they should. I'd recommend downloading the latest Ati Drivers from the website, uninstalling the video card drivers, cancelling the reboot and powering off. Ground yourself by touching the metal case of the PC and remove your old card, install the new one and power back on. The new card will be detected by Windows. Click cancel when it asks you for a driver, run the Ati catalyst driver installation and follow the instructions :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,258
    Replacement coolers are availible, something like this for £10 should do and you don't need to upgrade your graphics card if you're not gaming, they don't degrade over time.

On the other hand a new graphics card will be quicker and easier to install, though it will cost you about £30 for a non-gaming one.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. PINGLE

PINGLE Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Decision made then, new card which will hopefully slot straight in.

Many thanks for all replies.
  10. PINGLE

PINGLE Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Old card out new card in silence!
    Thanks for all advice much appreciated.
  11. Budgieuk

Budgieuk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have exactly the same problem, but unfortunately, the recomended card (from Scan) is no longer avaialble... I am in no way an expert on PC hardware, so would really appreciate gudance on what would be a suitable repalcement for my noisy 9600XT-4 card.
    I only need something that does what that card does.... i really dont need a whizz-bang card..

Guidance would be greatfully received .
    Thanks