1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asus Eee Pad Transformer

Discussion in 'Laptops & Netbooks' started by Deus_ex, Apr 6, 2011.

1. rigman

rigman Active Member

Ratings:
    +11
    My last question never got answered but what about this one.
    I was deliberating over a 16gb or 32gb.

Can you put in 2 x 32 gig memory cards? One in the keyboard adaptor and one in the pad to effectively get 96 gb (or 82gb for a 16gb pad) or is 64 gb the maximum memory on these things.
  2. vipergrm

vipergrm Member

Ratings:
    +469
    No. The keyboard is an SD reader only, so you can plug in your camera SD card for example and move photos to the Eee Pad for safe keeping or uploading to the web. Any sized micro SD card should work but you can only have one.
  3. vipergrm

vipergrm Member

Ratings:
    +469
    No. There is no way to connect this device to a wired network and a very much doubt it will ever be. It defeats the purpose as it is a handheld device. Unless someone manages to integrate this into a custom ROM but even if this is possible it is likely a long way off at the moment. It's safer to assume that this isn't an option. I'm amazed that all hotels aren't wireless nowadays but if this is what you do then perhaps a netbook is a better solution.
  4. StvPl

StvPl Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've just ordered the one without keyboard from eBuyer :) No discount codes but they do still have 25 available.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  5. gta15

gta15 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  6. mug

mug Member

Ratings:
    +31
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Glenn Wood

Glenn Wood Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Have you tried out Vuze Player? It's what I use to stream to PS3 just now - effectively for streaming to my TV. I know it should recognise Android - but I've not had any android device previously.
  8. brookheather

brookheather Active Member

Ratings:
    +885
  9. Deus_ex

Deus_ex Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Comet have let me down on my replacement.:mad: So I bagged another from ebuyer.:D They have 9 left at the last count, so you better be quick.

I forgot to add, it won't be delivered till Saturday because its Good Friday tomorrow. You have to pay £9 though.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. zenza

zenza Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Make that [-] 6[/-] 2 (was 6 a minute ago :eek:) left now as I have just pulled the trigger on one.:D

Really want to get my hand on this thing over the easter hols so paid the £9 for saturday delivery.

Can't wait to get my hands on it now.

Anyone know where I can get the keyboard from cheaply?
  11. Louis Mazzini

Louis Mazzini Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Cheers for this. I'd not used eBuyer before - but, having read your post, I also ordered an EEE Pad from them for delivery on Saturday. So, you've put both me and Zenza onto them and, judging by the rapidly dwindling of stock from 9 to 2* within less than an hour, possibly others too.

Let us know how you get on with delivery on Saturday, and thanks again!

*Now just 1 at 17:43...
  12. zenza

zenza Member

Ratings:
    +62
    And now 0.:D
  13. Louis Mazzini

Louis Mazzini Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Don't know about you, but right now I'm feeling a bit like Indiana Jones slithering under that closing rock door just before it slams shut...

At the same time, I'm trying not to count my chickens too much until the EEE Pad actually turns up on Saturday; I've also been let down by inaccurate delivery forecasts on this thing from both Amazon and Comet. As mentioned, I've never used eBuyer before - is it a site reckoned to be good on its word with stock levels and delivery dates?*

*EDIT. Starting to have mild doubts - stock just gone from 0 to 3! Perhaps this is perfectly normal?
  14. mug

mug Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Maybe its a marketing trick to get punters to part with their cash. Looks like it worked a treat :clap: :laugh: :rotfl:
  15. Deus_ex

Deus_ex Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I've been a customer of ebuyer a few times and i've never had any problems with my orders so I hope they don't disappoint you. I got a order dispatched email about half an hour ago, did you not get yours? :clap:
  16. zenza

zenza Member

Ratings:
    +62
    I got my dispatch email at the same time too.:)
  17. Louis Mazzini

Louis Mazzini Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Just checked: Yes, I have the same confirmation as you guys. So, all being well, I'll check back in here on Saturday to compare notes...

All the best,
  18. zenza

zenza Member

Ratings:
    +62
    I paid for Saturday delivery and my estimated delivery date is 26th April.:thumbsdow

Will be getting my £9 back from Ebuyer if I don't get it on Saturday.:mad:
  19. vipergrm

vipergrm Member

Ratings:
    +469
    Eventually got mine today (no thanks to the courier). Not had much opportunity to play with it yet but early signs are pretty good. :D
  20. vipergrm

vipergrm Member

Ratings:
    +469
    Wow. The battery life is really good. Managed to watch the full length movie of See No Evil Hear No Evil on 11% battery. Very impressive!
  21. anavfan

anavfan Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I hope you guys all get yours as ordered as it's a great bit of kit.

As someone else has pointed out the power lead is a bit too short. Anyone found a place to buy after market ones yet that hopefully are a bit longer!
  22. Deus_ex

Deus_ex Member

Ratings:
    +19
    It you specified Saturday delivery it should be delivered on that day. City link are delivering mine and they will deliver this Saturday according to their Easter delivery dates. Check here http://www.city-link.co.uk/easter_2011_operating_hours.pdf
    Mine has already arrived at the delivery depot, so I am not worried about it. I will expect it to arrive Saturday. If your worried, give ebuyer a call. You could always collect it from the depot if your desperate, but likely a long car journey.
  23. zenza

zenza Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Mine has already arrived at the depot but the planned delivery date on the city link site is showing as 26th April which is a bit odd.
  24. da02uk

da02uk Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Have they turned up yet, what are your initial thoughts?
  25. zenza

zenza Member

Ratings:
    +62
    As I suspected I was right, even though I paid £9 for Saturday delivery I didn't get mine today....it is scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday which it has said on city link's site since yesterday.....not happy with ebuyer and will refurse delivery on Tuesday and get my money back.

Having read this extensive review it seems that the hardware is top class on the transformer however it is let down heavily by a **** poor OS in honeycomb. You can see that in one of the videos in the review, the guy had to restart the device a few times because of honeycomb crashing and freezing.:thumbsdow

Shame as Asus have made a really great device which is sadly let down by a poor OS.

I will probably get one once google has sorted itself out with a reliable tablet OS.:rolleyes:
  26. Deus_ex

Deus_ex Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Come on, chill, its Easter. I've just had a nice day out.

I am just as disappointed as you that it hasn't come, but its only a few days away, some have waited longer. To be fair, reviews are one persons opinions not the masses. The majority of reviews I've read are positive so the one you've highlighted is a minority of great reviews. I don't know when that reviewer got his but it sounds like his one was a pre-production model. The one i had for a week http://www.avforums.com/forums/14406202-post1.html never crashed, the only crashes or force closures as they are called were from apps I installed that were not made for android 3.0.

Here is a more recent review Asus Eee Pad Transformer review | Expert Reviews

He gave it 5 stars and rates it better than the Motorola Xoom. His experiences mirrored mine, so I believe him more than the review you have shown. Theres also a update for it so I think it can only get better.

If you don't want it, there are plenty that do, so its too bad you feel that way and are going to refuse delivery. If you check out the forum at Asus Eee Pad Transformer - Transformer.MoDaCo.com - Android @ MoDaCo the mod there has rooted his transformer, so good things will come in the future from him. Its only a matter of time before android tablets will be more popular than ipads and netbooks.

As for my order I can't wait for it to come but I have sent a enote and I should get an apology and a delivery refund maybe. Thats all I ask.

I have just noticed, how ironic that the expert review got his from ebuyer :laugh::laugh::laugh:
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  27. Louis Mazzini

Louis Mazzini Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Deus Ex and Senza. This is a bit embarrassing: I ordered from Ebuyers after you guys and, despite the Citylink site listing it as due for delivery on Tuesday, it turned up just after nine this morning.

I've been out all day since it arrived, so left it on charge and got back about fifteen minutes ago.

First impressions: Great builds quality, although one dead pixel.

The black area framing the screen seems smaller then in pictures.

Nice weight and feel.

One problem. Volume was permanently on full all the way down the volume scale until muting at theater end often scale. A worry at first, but a reboot has just solved that.

Screen is fantastic, major improvement over my Arches 70.

Typing this on it now - VERY slowly. I would definitely not want to use the virtual keyboard for much more than this sort of length.

As things stand I think you'll be very happy when yours arrive.

One other thought, it doesn't seem to want to play any of the video files my Arches plays; I'll have to look into what other video players are available, I believe that PLC for Android is expected soon.

Now finding typing is much easier and quicker if I don't look at the words appearing very slowly. No apostrophe on the main page of the keyboard.

Right, I'm now going to se what it can do...
  28. Louis Mazzini

Louis Mazzini Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Okay, just read what I wrote above and realise that this thing is set to auto correct words - hence "Arches" for "Archos". Not sure how I got "theater" instead of "the" though. I could certainly do with the keyboard dock...
  29. Louis Mazzini

Louis Mazzini Member

Ratings:
    +33
    And, of course, I meant VLC not PLC. I need to change the keyboard settings...
  30. da02uk

da02uk Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Great posts