Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Armageddon and 9/11. Vision of the future from 1998?

Discussion in 'General Chat Forum' started by Kieron, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Kieron

Kieron Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,880
    If you've seen the movie Armageddon with good old Bruce Willis then back in '98 you would have seen the following scene....

It's been deleted in all copies since 2001 and cut from the TV broadcasts...

A strange look into the future, the hits on the towers are pretty much as they were on Sep 11th (although the other way around...)

Attached Files:

• 911.jpg
      911.jpg
      Size:
      97.4 KB
      Views:
  2. Woodywizz

Woodywizz Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,932
    That's pretty spooky Kieron.
  3. nwgarratt

nwgarratt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,282
    The first episode of The Lone Gunmen TV series is about a plane hijacked and flown to be crashed into the World Trade Centre. That was broadcast in March 2001 in the US.
  4. pjclark1

pjclark1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +289
    and Deep Impact
    and Independence Day

Attached Files:

5. Woodywizz

Woodywizz Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,932
    and World Trade Center :rolleyes:
  6. Kieron

Kieron Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,880
    But neither of those films showed images as above.
  7. pjclark1

pjclark1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +289
    I just found the ID image for you.
  8. Kieron

Kieron Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,880
    Similar. Not quite as powerful though. The Armageddon image is almost like watching the news.
  9. DVD-Man

DVD-Man Active Member

Ratings:
    +764
    Is there an online clip for this anyone?

Liam
  10. Kieron

Kieron Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,880
    I just screen capped it from my DVD. In the earlier shots you see the meteorites hitting the towers at the same speed and angles as the planes - it's very eerie. Like I say though, in all subsequent releases, and the last time the BBC showed it the scenes with the towers were cut...
  11. Kieron

Kieron Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,880
    I'll put the clip up on youtube, back soon....
  12. krish

krish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,126
    Not really unexpected to see most pre-9/11 big budget Hollywood disaster movies show the destruction of Manhattan, Washington DC etc (and sometimes one or two non-US cities/landmarks like London, Leaning Tower of Piza, Taj Mahal etc)
    ... didn't Godzilla also show this?

As nwgarrat mentioned, the pilot episode of short-lived X Files spin off The Lone Gunmen did indeed cover a plane being flown into the twin towers of the WTC. This was made and broadcast in early 2001. Very spooky ... who knows if the plotters had ever watched this :eek:

Post 9/11, I believe the Pentagon consulted with Hollywood writers and producers over potential atrocity scenarios
  13. Kieron

Kieron Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,880
    I agree. However the shots from the Armageddon movie are extremely similar to what we saw on 9/11. Obviously pot luck, but very eerie.
  14. Kieron

Kieron Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,880
    Ok, here we go. Two shots in question that are eerily like 9/11 are the meteorites striking the towers, and the "aftermath" shot...

[youtube]gHHo6U347eY[/youtube]
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  15. Wild Weasel

Wild Weasel Active Member

Ratings:
    +665
    From a poster for King Kong (1976 version):

[​IMG]

Kong stood astride the WTC actually holding a jet aircraft. :lesson:

I mean, how prescient is that. ;)
  16. Kieron

Kieron Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,880
    Yeah, I certainly remember the big ape on 9/11. Funnily enough, that also has been edited on all post 9/11 material.....:D
  17. Wild Weasel

Ratings:
    +665
    They had to re-edit the first Spiderman movie after 9/11. The original edit has a scene where a helicopter is caught by a giant web strung between the twin towers. It was shown in the trailers before the movie was released.
  18. krish

krish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,126
    Yup too spooky! I wonder if the studio will eventually reinstate the scene, on a 'Definitive Edition' ... but playing down the fact that it'll be mainly because they like to make a few more $$$ from re-issues with a few seconds of 'new' footage

Didn't Spider-Man (I) also have a teaser trailer and poster of him doing his thing around the Twin Towers; and then 9/11 happened, so it was removed from the promo material, and the film?
  19. Kieron

Kieron Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,880
    Yeah, I have seen that. There was talk about a Jackie Chan film where he was a window cleaner at the WTC who foils terrorist bombers. Obviously shelved since...

From Wikipedia....

Movies

Numerous movies were cancelled that were in production, and many movies were edited. The most common way of editing was to delete or obscure shots of the World Trade Center. There were various reasons given for the alterations, including keeping material up-to-date, as a gesture of respect for those who died, and to avoid trauma for those emotionally affected by the attack. There are also many movies which notably did not edit their films.
    In all, roughly 45 films were edited or postponed because of the 9/11 attacks.[2]
    [edit]

Edited movies
    Trailers for the movie Spider-Man were edited so a scene (not in the movie) showing Spider Man capturing a helicopter between the towers was deleted. In the actual movie, a shot of the World Trade Center was deleted. The scene of Spider-Man hanging onto a flagpole with a large American Flag, seen in later trailers and at the end of the film, was added in response to the attacks.
    In the movie Zoolander, the WTC was digitally deleted.[3]
    The WTC was removed from the poster for Sidewalks of New York, though the buildings were kept in the film.
    Shots of the WTC in Serendipity were digitally removed.
    In the movie Spy Game, the level of smoke shown following a bombing was reduced because of its similarity to the smoking WTC wreckage.[4]
    The 2002 film Men in Black II featured a climax that included the World Trade Center. The building was changed to the Statue of Liberty.[5]
    Shots of the WTC in Kissing Jessica Stein were removed before its release.[6]
    The ending to the 2002 animated movie Lilo and Stitch was edited from Stitch taking a 747 on a joyride and swerving around buildings, to Stitch taking a spaceship on a joyride and swerving around mountains. The original ending was included on the Masterpiece/Special edition DVD.
    The action/psychological thriller The Bourne Identity had to be greatly edited due to the involvement of terrorism in the storyline. On the special edition DVD are descriptions of how and why the movie was changed.
    Scenes of the WTC were removed from People I Know.[7]
    Early versions of The Incredibles featured a scene where a frustrated Mr. Incredible vents his emotions on an abandoned building, but ends up accidentally damaging a neighboring building as well. This was considered too reminiscent of the World Trade Center collapse, and was replaced with a scene where Mr. Incredible and Frozone rescue trapped civilians from a burning building.
    [edit]

Delayed movies
    The release of Arnold Schwarzenegger's Collateral Damage was postponed for four months. The movie featured a terrorist bombing in front of an L.A. building.
    The 2002 version of The Time Machine was held back three months because of a scene where a meteor shower destroys New York. This scene was also removed.
    The film Big Trouble was postponed seven months because it involved a nuclear bomb being smuggled on board an aircraft.
    [edit]

Non-altered movies
    Some movies kept scenes of the World Trade Center in them.
    In Vanilla Sky, producers wanted director Cameron Crowe to remove shots of the WTC.[8] He did not, and they remain in the movie.
    The movie A.I.: Artificial Intelligence, despite prominently featuring a badly damaged World Trade Center (albeit half submerged in water), was not edited in its video release.
    The ending of Gangs of New York, which shows the Twin Towers, was not removed.
    The film Corky Romano did not have the World Trade Center removed, despite being released in October 2001, the WTC is clearly seen in a couple shots.
    Both Changing Lanes and World Traveler kept in the buildings.[9]
    [edit]

Cancelled movies
    A Jackie Chan movie called Nosebleed, about a window washer on the WTC who foils a terrorist plot, was cancelled.[10]
    A television miniseries announced for the 2001-02 season that would have united the casts of Law & Order, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit and the new Law & Order: Criminal Intent in investigating a terrorist attack on New York City, was cancelled immediately after the attacks.
    A proposed script for True Lies 2, with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jamie Lee Curtis, was scrapped as it too closely resembled the WTC attacks.[11]
    [edit]

WTC added
    Some filmmakers have added the World Trade Center to films based before the attacks.
    The 2002 TV movie It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie features the twin towers in an alternate reality where an angel shows Kermit the Frog what the world would be like had he never been born.
    The 2004 film Miracle, set in 1980, has a digital World Trade Center on the New York skyline.
    The 2005 film Munich, set in 1973, features a computer-generated World Trade Center.
    The 2005 film Rent, set in 1989 and 1990, includes a shot of the World Trade Center.
    World Trade Center and United 93 (2006) take place on the day of the attacks and feature the buildings.
    • Thanks Thanks x 5
  20. DVD-Man

DVD-Man Active Member

Ratings:
    +764
    Was just about to post this, think this was meant to be a big set piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjtXUULtH4E

Liam
    • Thanks Thanks x 6
  21. breakersrevenge

breakersrevenge Member

Ratings:
    +229
    Thats a fantastic scene.
  22. geomuss

geomuss Member

Ratings:
    +178
    Another spooky thing is they are still standing! :eek:

Maybe Bruce and the boys did not get a chance to wire the babys up :rotfl:
  23. Kazuya Mishima

Kazuya Mishima Member

Ratings:
    +70
    Sorry to be a killjoy but I disagree completely that there is anything "spooky" or "eerie" here.

As krish mentioned, it is not unusual for "disaster" movies to depict famous landmarks being destroyed. It has more dramatic impact (eg Statue of Liberty, White House etc).

Yes the towers were hit. But for me that's it. Nothing spooky here!
  24. Mr.D

Mr.D Active Member

Ratings:
    +954
    I haven't seen any version of Armageddon that omits the twin towers including broadcast.

The Spiderman teaser was shot before the movie and had nothing to do with the films plot. It was not removed from the film it was never in it.
  25. Kieron

Kieron Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,880
    Last BBC broadcast omitted it.
  26. Setenza

Setenza Active Member

Ratings:
    +232
    Yes I'm with you on that. If you have a disaster movie that's based in certain countries you can list the landmarks that will be used.

Oh and the apocryphal tale about jackie Chan's "Nose Bleed" was that he was location scouting on the roof of the twin towers, 24 hours before 9/11
  27. Kieron

Kieron Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,880
    I don't think you're getting it. Obviously famous landmarks will be destroyed. What we're saying is that of all the films that do this, the Armageddon movie is the closest to what happened in real life.

Tower hit by meteorite looks pretty much identical to jet hitting it.

One tower hit at the top, one tower hit part way down on the corner.

It's extremely similar to what happened on 9/11.

Obviously a coincidence, just a very close coincidence!
  28. Wild Weasel

Ratings:
    +665
    I think the WTC was devastated in the 1979 film Meteor too. :eek:
  29. Abbeygoo

Abbeygoo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,462
    Very interesting thread Kieron.

The trailer with Spider-man was awesome. Were they going to use that in the film? It was released in 2002 so clearly time to take it out ........ A great scene.

Are there are any other examples of famous landmarks being used in a film and they having to be removed?
  30. unique

unique Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,255
    i always thought that the spiderman 1 teaser trailer was done all with cgi before they had shot any of the principle photography, and nothing was intended to be part of the movies story

i suppose the coincidences between things happening in movies like this, and them happening in real life is that being big well known landmarks they are as desired by movie makers as they are by terrorists, and film makers use their imagination in much the same way as terrorists, thus similar plots appear in movies. i doubt that terrorists get ideas directly from watching movies and wish to replicate die hard and towering inferno. i would think that armageddon, king kong 76 and independance day are the last movies that would give someone the idea to destroy something like the WTC

in saying that, i was at home on 9/11 and turned on the tv to catch the news at 1pm and say the second plane hit the tower live on tv and watched the rest unfold on live tv. thoughts of die hard did go through my mind when watching it as it seemed so unreal, and more like watching a movie unfold