Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are These A Copy OF The Tannoy F-4 Customs?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by kade1878, Jul 29, 2009.

1. kade1878

kade1878 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  2. marty2005

marty2005 Active Member

Ratings:
    +175
    Just had a look, the sites does not authenticate.

The actual url is hdigb0 @ hotdigital-server.com which is German but why not just use the domain www.hotdigital-ssl.co.uk instead of re-directing?

This web site does not supply ownership information.

Looks a bit suspect and they just seem too cheap, reminds of the recent thread -- pinkbull speakers.

I'm not sure if they are German or UK. They seemed to be based in Faversham, Kent UK and Berlin, Germany.

They do have a UK tel. no.

They do not advertise credit cards but say that they take credit cards. They advertise Paypal and Moneybookers which I've never heard of - apparently it's all over Europe - that is probably how they do credit cards which is mis-leading.

You also have to join up on the website - normal but I wanted to put something in the basket and see the payment methods.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  3. marty2005

marty2005 Active Member

Ratings:
    +175
    They have a store front on Amazon and are on Ebay. They are genuine but the security padlock would worry me if it is not authenticated.

Read some of the feedback on eBay - if you have faulty goods and leave negative you don't get refund according to some people.

Stuff comes from Germany even though says UK.

Some of the eBay Negs. are a good read. Common problem seems slow communication/delivery times/refunds/Germany not UK.

A lot of plus feedback though and if you read through they say happy with stuff they sell.

The pyramid speakers look good, you could buy two for the front and you can buy a single one for the center but at the end of the day they've probably a bit poo. Anyone fancy a gamble?
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,760
    This MTM design, meaning Midbass-Tweeter-Midbass, is actually pretty common, but keep in mind that the Tannoy are £300, these speaker are £60, though you better be sure you understand whether that is 'each' or 'a pair'.

In the end, you get what you pay for. There are plenty of cheap speakers around, some even sound fair, but there is an old saying, it it looks too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true.

They do have some interesting looking speakers. I like the look of these -

LTC SP-800 4-way pyramid hi-fi speaker - 49,90 GBP

Pair LTC SP-800 4-way pyramid hi-fi speakers - 99,90 GBP

If the price was each, it might be worth giving some thought to, but if that price is per pair. It is just too cheap.

But, some people want big speakers and some people are near broke. If you happen to be one of those people, I'm sure these would impress your friends. I just wouldn't expect them to sound great. Possible OK, maybe good, but definitely not great.

It is your money, if you are willing to risk it, that's up to you. You might get lucky, you might not.

Just don't expect them to perform like £300 speaker designed and built by one of the pioneers in audio equipment (meaning Tannoy).

Just a few, mostly worthless, thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. penguinpaul

penguinpaul Member

Ratings:
    +95
    Also, its worth keeping in mind that for that price, you could easily get some 2nd hand Eltax floorstanders... At least you know where you are with eltax, not top dog, but at least you're not poking in the dark....