Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are there any reviews for the sony KDL-40HX753

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by available247, Mar 25, 2012.

1. available247

available247 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    title says it all
  2. r6evo

r6evo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Im also looking for this, i was all set to buy the KDL-40HX723 and went onto the Sony website to order and the new model was sat right next to it :suicide:

I phoned up sales who said it should be delivered by the first week of April so this gives me a little bit of time to wait for some reviews. the hx723 got some very good reviews.
  3. Curly99

Curly99 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,061
    Thread moved.

Curly
  4. Snakey2k5

Snakey2k5 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Been looking around web carnt find nothing yet as im wondering how the lack of x reality pro effects picture quality compared to the hx823 which ive got my eye on for next month and wondering if they have nailed 3d with this new series,also appears the hx853 series isnt coming till may now as there is a count down clock on sony website
  5. available247

available247 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    haha yea i want to buy that tv aswell but im holding out on the review for the hx753 and ill get that if its better than the hx723
  6. NBrice

NBrice Member

Ratings:
    +91
    I'm interested in the HX853. I can't stand Samsung's motion processing, 24p judder and undefeatable noise reduction. But the Sony's had their own set of issues last year like poor uniformity, the dreaded crease etc.
  7. r6evo

r6evo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The problem i have is as i work for Sony i get the staff sales on their website. So up until 2 days ago i could get the 723 delivered next day with the 753 showing as delivery within 5 days of release. As soon as im paid (today) the 723 is showing not available on the website :facepalm:

So i have gone head first for the 753 and booked it. Will let you know as and when Sony give me a confirmed delivery date.
  8. Snakey2k5

Snakey2k5 Member

Ratings:
    +6
  9. Snakey2k5

Snakey2k5 Member

Ratings:
    +6
  10. r6evo

r6evo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Tv arrived today at work. I will let you guys know what its like as soon as i get it home.
  11. norris309

norris309 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    eagerly awaiting your next post!! i was just about to buy a 40hx723 today,
    But finding it hard clicking the 'buy' button at the moment, don't want to regret not waiting for the newer model.
    As the 753 does look nice in the pics on sony site.
    But the 723 seems to have proven it's worth & the prices are looking good at the moment.
  12. NBrice

NBrice Member

Ratings:
    +91
    I'd avoid the HX723 due to major clouding issues.
  13. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +722
    The HX723 i had, had zero clouding.

Aaron
  14. NBrice

NBrice Member

Ratings:
    +91
    A bit like your magical HX823 then? ;)
  15. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +722
    Yeah, thanks for the sarcasm really need that right now to top off my day.

Aaron
  16. norris309

norris309 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Out of interest, what tv do you have?
    I'm looking at replacing a 10 year old 28" hitachi LCD
    but all I hear/read about these new tvs is bad clouding?
    I'm never going to buy one at this rate.
    I was under the impression that the Sony hx723 is one of the safer bets?
  17. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +722
    If you have actually had a read of any of my posts, you will see my reasons for being unhappy with the HX823 and why i returned the 40HX723...

Nothing to do with clouding which the 40HX723 had non of and the 46HX823 had slightly if local dimming was off (which you wouldn't do.)

Might be worth getting your facts straight before posting. ;)
  18. norris309

norris309 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Any news on the HX753?
    i popped into a local sony centre over the weekend & there were none there.

Still had the 723 on display with what looked to me like amazing picture quality. Also the 46HX823 looked good & a damn good price now, but unfortunately 46" is a bit too big for the wall it's going on.

I'm just going to start decorating my lounge, the mrs picks the colours, I've got to get a new tv.. thats the deal.
    So i hope they get these new sonys on the shelves pretty quick!
  19. r6evo

r6evo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Right ive had it about a week now and absolutely love it. My only comparrison is to a 3 year old Panansonic LCD 26" tv though so i would wait for a proper review. Please also bare in mind im not overly techinical with TVs so those looking for tests do not need to read further.

The first thing i noticed is the speed of the unit, powering on and navigating the menus, it was refreshing to go where i wanted to straight away. The only delay i saw was obviously on some of the video apps like iPlayer etc. From opening the box to going through the setup was very quick and easy.

Im not sure what the feature was called on the panasonic but when viewing films or games if half of the screen was light and the other black the tv would dim the brightness obviously to try and make the black areas....blacker if you see what i mean. The sony unit thankfully doesnt have this and produces very good black levels when needed.

The HD channels all look perfect and the TV guide is very easy to navigate around and is very quick too.

The only bad thing i can think of is the speakers. Now i was expecting then to be a little poor as the tv is very thin, bit it sounds like they are coming out of a tin with the treble down and bass up, so obviously my next purchase is a 3d blueray player with 2.1. I dont need 5.1 as we rarly use the Tv plus i have a 3yr old who likes to poke things. The system im going for is a Sony one so it saves me having to use 2 remotes for volume levels.

I borrowed some 3d glasses from work and used the 3D app on the Sony Entertainment Network and i must say the 3d visuals looked very impressive. we have multiple 3D tvs at work (mostly 50/55") and it was producing excellent results on par with these.

When i saw the stand i was a little bit hesitant, but after putting it together i can confirm it is rather sturdy. The tv has 2 rubber portectors that sit and slide on top of the metal legs making it solid with regards to wobbling side to side.

The controller feels cheaper compared to last years Sony tv remotes. You no longer get the power button on the back and they have reverted to the old fashioned battery removal of sliding a little piece of plastic off rather than the complete back of the remote sliding up. Its a little thing but i liked that in the remote. Its very light and the buttons are still sturdy so after a while you forget about the solid feeling old ones.

The tv doesnt come with any glasses as has been Sonys thing for a while now, but this doesnt bother me too much as the 3d glasses i want are not out yet but should set me back £80 each, and according to our 3d guys here are very good and lightweight.

[​IMG]

Mod Edit: don't hotlink to images without the hosting sites permission, image re-hosted

Sorry i couldnt be of more use but it is a mighty fine Tv bar the sound, but im sure most of you will have Home cinema setups anyway.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2012
  20. Shen Ku

Shen Ku Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Any issues with backlight bleed and the flashlight effect? And does the TV have a LED Dynamic Control to limit those problems if they exist?
  21. Johnjay1969

Johnjay1969 Member

Ratings:
    +94
    I was trying hard to locate a 46"hx723 to no avail. When i seen the 40" going for as little as £600 i tried to get a 46" as for some strange reason sony 46" sets seem to fare well at purchase & then good reports for long-term ownership. Dont worry aaron your tv will come good im sure,wether you stick to the 823 or look elsewhere. Its a real pity about your current hx823 as you are definitely one of the unlucky ones,good luck mate. I cannot comment exactly on the 40" hx723,but if its between a £900-1000 for a 40" hx753 or approx. £600 for the 723,its a hard choice,but as its a well regarded set,i'd save the extra cash & buy the hx723 with XR-PRO (great for a dodgy analogue or low res picture imo) & a decent bd player or media hdd.But it is a tough choice...
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. Mr T The Voice

Mr T The Voice Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm awaiting the arrival of a KDL-46 HX753. It's an exchange by SONY for a KDL-46 W4500 that I bought with a 5 year cover. I wanted a higher range TV like the HX923, but SONY wanted too much money in addition.

Does anyone have any comments as to whether it's a fair swap? Any comments about the HX753, positive or negative?

PS
    THIS IS MY FIRST EVER POST ON AV FORUMS.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  23. available247

available247 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  24. norris309

norris309 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    That review doesn't rate it too great then .
    I'm now wondering if I should save a few quid and go for the
    40nx723 instead?
    I saw JL had the nx with 2 pairs of glasses for £729 this morning.
    I went to my local store to see that and the hx753
    Decided I'd order the 40nx723 online, by the time I got home the offer was gone!
    What is it with John Lewis constantly changing offers & prices!!!
  25. Nicholars

Nicholars Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Hmmm looks like the newer models are worse than the 2011 ones :/

Maybe they are not using Samsung SPVA panels now that sony fo not own a share?
  26. Mr T The Voice

Mr T The Voice Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm expecting delivery on Friday. It will be a relief after more than a month of using a loan 32inch tv. I shall refrain from commenting too quickly about the new tv. I think I'll allow myself to "settle down" with the new arrival before casting my critical eye over it.

:rolleyes:
  27. Johnjay1969

Johnjay1969 Member

Ratings:
    +94
    why would sony gloat so much about the seemingly brilliant hx853,but release a model in the same 'cinematic' hx range & neglect it so badly in comparison to its counterpart? While also commanding a top retail...i just dont get sony at the moment as i thought the hx753 was gonna be a slightly stripped down version of the hx853. Obviously not...
  28. markyb555

markyb555 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Im also very interested in the 32 inch version for a bedroom tv.

I currently have a sony 7 year old lcd which has started to switch itself on and off when it wants. Sometimes 10 times through out a dvd.. some never at all :\

I saw the 32HX753 in the sony shop at the weekend at £699 and with £50 knocked off for there trade in deal, isnt bad pricing. Richer sounds seems to beat that but I dont know whether sony was offering the 5 year guarantee with that or not.
    The above review from digital versus doesnt look very good. BUT watching BBC HD in the shop the picture was clear, very sharp but not grainy. I however, havent really been accustomed to the HD picture for very long due to my set being so old.

The tv is playing up more and more, and there is just no chance i can wait another 12 months for the next lot. As you can imagine i dont change my tv's that often unless they break!!
  29. Eido122333

Eido122333 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have one. A couple of weeks ago. No clouding issues.

Chances are that most of the problems I've encounted won;t even affect most people. OVerall its a good set, but the problems do cause me a major headache. In case they're of interest to anybody, here's a copy-mix of my comments to sony about it and my amazon review:-

I have recently purchased a 40HX753 to update from my previous Sony HD TV becuase of a mix of the 3D, X-Reality for what was advertised as being excellent quialiy for Standard def picture, and internet content.
    I am having some rather serious problems, that I would appreciate some help with. thanks.

1. What exactly is this X-Reality engine doing to improve the SD picture? I had no problmes on my previous Sony TV, but on this one I get extreme problems with interlacing/combing/jaggies when playing video tapes through the Scart socket. Now this is important for me, as I like retro formats, and have a large tape library. A main reason for me choosing this set was that it promised great quality for SD, yet it can't even de-interlace/filter correctly. In fact the problem is so bad, that it's virtually unwatchable. I have had to move my video machines into the other room with an old 14" CRT portable TV, as I just can't watch on this set. I have reduced the problem as much as possible by turning off the edge enhancer and detail enhancer, but it does not elimate the problem, which is clearly in the OS, and doesn;t appear to be alterable by any manual setting on the TV. Is there a way tod eal with this, or a firmware fix planned to sort it out? As far as I am concerned, the TV has been flasely advertised, and is not fit for purpose while this is so drastic. I have been looking online, and others have reported the same problem, so it's not a fault localized to my set.

2. The Sony Channel on SEN. Does not appear to work properly. Most of the thumbnails never load up, a lot fo the videos won't play at all. It either hangs or skips onto the next video. This is not exactly good. It isn;t isolated to my set either, as I have since tested this in a local showroom. It's a network fault fo some kind. Will it be fixed soon?

3. INternet. The browser seems badly inadequate and incapable of doing what it's supposed to. This set was clearly marked as being able to do Facebook, yet it keeps running out of memory all the time, and cannot display a simple main feed page. I find this all over the net when I try to use it.
    Also, there is no support for a wireless keyboard, and a wireless mouse, which is thankfully supported, responds terribly, with sluggish response.
    Are there fixes due for these issues?

4. Youtube. Does not display a number of videos. I have looked up my own channel on youtube, and videos from years ago (so its not a problem with recent Flash updates) just simply don't display. Also, it seems unable to play anything in HD that is more than about 5 minutes long (inadequate buffer capacity?), and the navigation options are aterrible. There's no way to bookmark channels, or set it to show the 'uploaded by date' lists in reverse so the most recent can be seen first. Have I missed something, is there a way to change this, or are all of these issues going to be fixed by firmware updates?
    Thank you for your help, I appreitae this is a new model, and may have some teething problems, but these issues go against some of the key points that this TV was advertised as being good for, so they're rather serious.
    I look forward to your reply, espeically in relation to the SD interlacing problems,

On an additional note, the low-down nature of the screen means that my surround sound speaker obscures the front-bottom-centre of the screen. It's a right pain. IN time I'll raise the set with a piece of wood (needs to go up by about 6cm). It'll be unsightly, but at least it'll be gone then. Wall mounting eithet the TV or speaker is not an option for me.

Hope some of this may be of help to others.
  30. markyb555

markyb555 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    HERE

If anyone is still interested in the 32 inch version review