Are the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 ohm better than the 80?

Hades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Silly question I know... but they are both the same price @ £99 (less 4% Quidco) so thought I would ask before I click on buy :)

Cheers,

Gazza.

Silly question I know... but they are both the same price @ £99 (less 4% Quidco) so thought I would ask before I click on buy :)

Cheers,

Gazza.

Sound wise there is not much in it, but remember that the 250 ohmn one will take more driving that the 80 ohmn ones, so if you don't have an amp you might be better off with 80. I have the 770/80 and my ipod classic can just drive them at about 85% volume setting (and I don't listen to music loud), but with my headphone amp, I hardly need to turn the dial.

Cheers

BT

The newer version of the 80ohm cans are said to be slightly better.

I went for the 80 ones, no idea if they are the newer version or not. Contacted tech support @ Dolphin Music. They asked what I was using them for and I said my MP3 payer, PC and CA 640R receiver.... they advised me to get the 80's, so I did and they will be here on Monday :)

How will I know if I have got the newer version?

The differences are...

New: on back of ear piece in raised white letters "DT 770 PRO 80 OHM"

on ends of headband in sunken black on black letters "beyerdynamic R" with brail version of "R". And vice versa for the left side.

Old: on back of ear piece in raised white letters "beyerdynamic DT770"

on ends of headband in white on black letters "professional right 2 x 80 ohm". And vice versa for left.

Many thanks for that. Will double check when I receive them, if they are the old one, then they are going back.

Well they have despatched it, but never replied to my email asking them if it was the newer model.

Will be double checking tomorrow when it comes, if its old stock... then its going back :nono:

Well they have despatched it, but never replied to my email asking them if it was the newer model.

Will be double checking tomorrow when it comes, if its old stock... then its going back :nono:

Was it 'old' or 'new' stock that you got in the end? I need some headphones for my Drum kit.. I am pretty sure that the headphone output is 60ohms, so don't really want the 250ohm version.

But the 80ohm model in the UK is quite hard to find and Dolpin are the only ones with stock..

Am I also right in thinking that the 80ohm version has a straight cable, where as the 250ohm has a curly lead? This is quite important to me, as the curly lead gets in the way when I am playing drums!

Jon

It was the new stock I received :) They do sound very nice, but still being run in..... so can only get better.

The cable is straight and not curly :thumbsup:

It was the new stock I received :) They do sound very nice, but still being run in..... so can only get better.

The cable is straight and not curly :thumbsup:

Good news.. How are you finding them.. I have a Roland drum kit and am currently using some £30 Senheisers, which are fine, but the base is pretty poor.. When playing the bass drum hard, they actually 'click' because they simply can't handle the bass.

So I want something which can.. The DT770s are said to have awsome bass.. Is this really the case? Can a headphone really deliver great bass?

I have actually found the 250ohm version for £85, which is £20 cheaper than Dolpin. But since they are the wrong impedence for my applicatoin and have a curly cable, I am wondering if I am better spending the extra £20.. I guess with the 4% Quidco, it brings the price closer to the 250ohm varient.

Jon

I think they are OK, but I don't have a finely tuned ear for music :)

Jon the DT770s sound like they have a sub hidden away in them somewhere:smashin:! But don't get the 250ohm version as they need to be driven properly.

Jon the DT770s sound like they have a sub hidden away in them somewhere:smashin:! But don't get the 250ohm version as they need to be driven properly.

Cheers all.. Since Dolpin only had one pair left, I decided to get them before it was too late.

The 80ohm version cost me £20 more than I could have got the 250ohm ones for, but its worth it to be sure I can drive them correctly.

If anything, the straight cord will be a god send when playing the drums, as the curley cable on my Seinheisers gets in the way.... Looking forwards to trying them later.. I had a little try on my PC at work, playing some MP3s and am not entirly blown away.. Buts hardly a scientific test, so will hold off passing judgement until I am able to try them at home.

Thanks again

Jon

I can't imagine a worse way to drive the DT770 than a PC soundcard!

They will sound better after being used for a while.

And yes, the first time I amped them and had a big bass drum kick I jumped up as I thought the house was being demolished! Where they hid the subwoofer is a mystery, but its in there somewhere :D

BT

I'm not sure what will happen if you use a FiiO with the DT770, as its a bass booster .. going to be too much bass!

BT

The Fiio arrived yesterday and you're absolutely right BigTone, it cannot be used with DT770, way too bassy!
And incidently the Sennheiser PX200 still are not bassy enough even with the Fiio.
Think I need to buy some new cans which compliment the Fiio now :D.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom