Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Sky blocking torrents again?

Discussion in 'Sky Broadband' started by ian_guinan, Mar 26, 2009.

1. ian_guinan

ian_guinan Member

Ratings:
    +18
    I've suddenly found that Torrents do not seen to progress past the first few seconds.

Enabling protocol encryption on my Qnap seems to get a bit of life again, but is this what happens if Sky blocks torrents? (or is it just my torrent sources having a bit of local difficulty?)

Thanks for any advice,

Ian Guinan

****DOOOOOHHHHH*****
    Has just dawned on me that I've filled 2tb of disks...must've been that last BSG finale ;)
    Looks very much like traffic shaping when it realises there is no space on disk.....
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  2. Hillsman

Hillsman Member

Ratings:
    +46

You may need to open the ports the torrent uses.
  3. Rygar

Rygar Active Member

Ratings:
    +279
    There is no blocking on the LLU services (base/mid/max) and there never has been.

"Connect" is a different story.
  4. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,881

Matter of opinion....

Had constant issues with Rapidshare for the time i was back with them. fortunately there price rise gave me a get out and I'm back with O2 again.

Funnily enough I've not had a single occurence of the issue since moving back to O2.
  5. ian_guinan

ian_guinan Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Have not had any problems with blocking or shaping so that's why it was a shock when torrents slowed down and stalled.
    It was simply that my nas had run out of space and as soon as I cleared some space the torrents sprang back into action.

It did however mean that I read around the subject and activated encryption on my Qnap and the torrents now do seem to run faster (I guess more other users are willing to accept my requests?)

Ian Guinan
  6. Rygar

Rygar Active Member

Ratings:
    +279
    Opinion based on some pretty solid evidence. I'm a heavy user & have been with Sky for almost 2 years. Screen caps below for Bittorrent & Rapidshare taken on Friday evening during the busy peak time period. Didnt even bother to set up port forwarding for utorrent & I dont have rapidshare account. Sky LLU isnt throttled, capped, shaped or blocked!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  7. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,881
    If you don't have a rapidshare premium acount and aren't a Heavy RS user it's unlikely you'll see the Rapidshare filtering.

I only saw it after i had hit 10Gb+ in a day. All of a sudden All rapidshare links fail to load with a HTTP 500 Server error :rolleyes:
    Unrelated to my unlimited RS account as I could still download via my work VPN connection.

Switched back to O2 and it's never happend since.

funny so many mentioning the same issue on the Skyuser forums as well.
  8. Rygar

Rygar Active Member

Ratings:
    +279
    We've been round all this before but why block rapidshare yet not bittorrent or newsgroups which use far more bandwidth? Why drop the FUP if there is a capacity problem? Its just a totally illogical conclusion to draw from the facts available.

There may well be a technical issue between sky & rapisdshare (there have been many such issues over the years with rapidshare & various UK ISPs) but there is no way sky are intentionally blocking rapisdhare as a bandwidth controlling measure.
  9. Hillsman

Hillsman Member

Ratings:
    +46
    I get "file not found" when i use rapidshare to download certain things. Im with tiscali and this problem has only been since i went from a usb router to an ethernet connection (wirless router)

Strange thing is if i use another site to locate what i want to download (and still download through rapidshare) it seems ok?
  10. Jammie dodger

Jammie dodger Member

Ratings:
    +58

At a guess it might be a problem with your ISP's IWF proxy. Rapidshare urls sometimes appear on the IWF blocking list, which results in all your traffic to the filtered IP address being fed through your ISP's IWF/cleanfeed proxy so that it can inspect the URL you request to see if it matches the banned one on their list). The same system that caused problems using Wikipedia the other month, when they blocked a page about an album because of the controversial image of the album cover.

However that wouldn't explain why it works with a modem, I suppose another remote possibility is that it might be MTU setting related (a few ISPs don't support a 1500 byte packet size - not sure about Tiscali though), and I'd expect that to cause problems with some other sites, such as the log-in pages on ebay, and hotmail.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  11. Hillsman

Hillsman Member

Ratings:
    +46

All log in pages are fine, and like i say i can access rapidshare via other sites.

Is there a way to unblock rapidshare from IWF?
  12. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,881
    Think you've hit the nail on the head there.
  13. noikz

noikz Member

Ratings:
    +18
    The problem with Rapidshare is easy to fix, it isn't blocked, there's just a weird issue with resolving the "rapidshare.com" address at certain (random) times.

Just edit your hosts file so that www.rapidshare.com and rapidshare.com point to 195.122.131.250

195.122.131.250 rapidshare.com
    195.122.131.250 www.rapidshare.com

They will resolve everytime.
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2009