Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Archos 5 and Nikon

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by stevepenk, Jan 25, 2009.

1. stevepenk

stevepenk Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Archos 5, 250gb. I am getting a Nikon D90 and wondered if I can link the two together so the Archos stores the photo's I have taken?

Thanks in advance
  2. Slave2DaBox

Slave2DaBox Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi yes but you need to buy the mini dock for it, then you can transfer directly.
  3. iainjb

iainjb Member

Ratings:
    +0
    INHO better to buy the battery dock - does the same, plus gives you extra battery life on top.

regards,
    Iain..
  4. stevepenk

stevepenk Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Pardon my ignorance but how do I set this up to do what I want. Is it the camera settings or tghe Archos. Before I spend the money can someone please explain what I need to do to get it up and running.

Thanks Sorry to be a PITA
  5. Slave2DaBox

Slave2DaBox Member

Ratings:
    +0

Dont get the battery one have heard its not compatible with the 7

As far as i'm aware you dont need to do anything other than just plug it in and attach your camera via usb
  6. JonMace

JonMace Member

Ratings:
    +61
    You can transfer the pictures to it but you can not take a photo and store it directly to the archos
  7. iainjb

iainjb Member

Ratings:
    +0
    He hasn't got a 7 - he has a 5....

I believe both these docks have a USB hub manager built in - just plugging in the camera will prompt dialogue on the Archos to download the photos. I have not tried it, but this is what I have gleaned from the website.

regards,
    Iain
  8. Butters

Butters Member

Ratings:
    +111
    yes you can but you need one of the archos docking stations with a usb connection.

its simple as using the camera with a pc. plug the usb lead into the camera and the dock then transfere the files, either one at a time or the lot in one go.

when you connect and power the camera up the archos displays the file manager and its simple copy/paste stuff.

i use the battery dock which obviously gives you more archos time too, but you can use the standard dock which is cheaper or the dvr dock but thats less portable...

i have used mine with panasonic and olympus cameras so see no reason why a nikon would be any different.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  9. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor Active Member

Ratings:
    +696
    The only setting you may need to check on the camera is if it assumes the USB connection will be for file transfer (PC mode) rather than PictBridge or Auto as I've had occasional issues with a camera not neogtiating properly in Auto mode.

Another consideration is that you may want to take a small card reader with you so you don't have to tie up the camera during the transfer process. If you don't have many memory cards that may not be an issue for you.

If you do use a card reader then you may find that you need to put the card in the reader then attach the reader ot the dock for it to be recognised properly.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Butters

Butters Member

Ratings:
    +111
    Now thats a top tip - never thought of trying that!!

Cheers :cool:
  11. stevepenk

stevepenk Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Brilliant thanks very much. I have the TV dock that came with it so will give it a go, thanks again