Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam Product Suggestions

Discussion in 'Arcam Forum' started by mpmct, Jan 6, 2007.

1. arctor

arctor Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I make a lot of use of zone 2 in my AVR300 and find it works very well but the Analogue connections and composite are a bit restrictive. Currently I don't use the video switching and use a seperate DAC and Dolby Decoder to enable me to hear 5.1 downmixed sound downstairs.

Rather then updating the AVR400 / AV10 to have 2 sets of DACs/DSPs and a HDMI output for zone2 (which is a niche and would add cost to the units for features others wouldn't use) I would like a special zone box.

The AVR 400 / AV10 would have a zone connector where the zone box hooks in. Each Zone box would have the required DAC and a DSP for processing the sound, plus the required logic for doing OSD for that zone. For its output it would have a set of audio preouts and the required video preouts, also present would be IR In / IR Out and 12v Triggers. They may have there own inputs (which probably wouldn't be selectable in other zones?) which could be used for IPOD / Game console connections in that zone.

Control of the zone boxes would still be through the AVR, essentially the zone 2 button could be used to cycle through all the connected zones. The menu would need some work especially if you wanted to set level and delays uniquely per zone. You may also be able configure each zone boxes on its own as it would have the OSD.

In terms of form factor these zones boxes could come in 5.1 or stereo (to reduce cost) and maybe as audio only (although it may be easier to use the current zone 2 on the receiver as an audio only zone.) One possible for factor could have a stereo zone box integrated into a P35 or P90 (a powered zone box.)

The number of zone boxes becomes tricky. Ideally each zone would piggy back of each other however this works easier on a digital connection (where a high bandwidth LAN could pass all digital signals, if you could sort out the jitter) rather than analogue ones.

The trick would be to add minimum cost to the AVR and all the extra cost to each zone box so every one had this option but if you wanted to use it it you would have to pay a premium for it.

Its probably unrealistic but it seems a nice way to build a real high end multi zone system.
  2. Nabs

Nabs Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Two or three products could be useful:

1. DVD/ SACD 'all format' player ideally capable of multichannel format without scaling. For if you have a good scaler in your tv/ separate scaler then one could benefit from the sacd format. It would be nice if the picture was as sharp as the DV70 vs DV137.

2. Sacd/cd player for those that do not require another dvd player.

3. For those that wish HDMI switching, multiple analogue inputs, and the scaling of all feeds a separate arcam box dedicated simply to such. It would be useful a well if this machine could also be upgradable from a hardware point of view. This will enable those with more than one set of analogues - sacd, HD-DVD, Blu ray etc to make use of the analogues. Those who prefer a sharper dvd picture (e.g. DV79 or DV29 vs DV137) to make use of a scaler if their their tv was not up to the job, and they could additionally feed many hdmi sources.

Another added thought to the wish list:

A satellite box maybe in partnership with sky with Arcams attention to detail and audio, keeping the arcam styling but capable of acting a source to one of our few broadcast HD feed.
  3. Starkiller

Starkiller Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Arcam Product I'd like to buy

A HD-DVD/Bluray/DVD player preferably with a dealer upgrade from my DV79 :thumbsup:
  4. Timbo21

Timbo21 Active Member

Ratings:
    +267
    Yep. A purely SACD/DVD-A/CD player. Basically a DV139 without the video. That would be great :thumbsup:
  5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,287
    Without the video, how would you navigate the menu screens of DVD-Audio discs?
  6. Timbo21

Timbo21 Active Member

Ratings:
    +267
    Alright, alright :) . I may have neglected that bit.

How about just a little bit of video for that, like composite :thumbsup:
  7. oceanrower

oceanrower Member

Ratings:
    +14
    What if Arcam launched the first portable audio player that could do my Grado's justice? The whole portable market is filled with crap!
  8. oceanrower

oceanrower Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I also would like to get a:

2 channel 75 w at 8 Ohm DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-A/HD-DVD/Blue-Ray player drivet at 230 volt or 24 volt, so that I could use it both at home and in my boat. It shall have two speaker output sets, twin picture outputs, output an earphone signal, send sound signal wireless via bluetooth, have a box smaller than Linn´s or Cyrus boxes with limited depth and have electronics suitable for marine enviroment.

Almost a 2 channel version of Solo movie but with HD-formats and capable of beeing driven at 24 volt. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
  9. Krell rules

Krell rules Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to see 2 things improved on my DV 137 to make it the ultimate universal player:

1. I would like to see a smaller speaker trim increments of adjustment. Like .5 DB instead of 1 DB. Seems small but my B&K receiver does this and I can get it way closer in adjustment with my DB meter. I bought this player more for its audio capabilities, so this is important to me.

2. Seems as thought there may be a cueing/syncing issue when using the Coax digital out of this player and some 3rd party receivers leading to multiple audio dropouts through out the movie. I would like to see this issue addressed because it is annoying. I like my receiver and do not want to replace it with an Arcam one just so the DVD player will work right.
  10. cjohnson6

cjohnson6 Member

Ratings:
    +53
    I think it's about time Arcam came up with a real power amplifier... not these 165W adolecents.. but a REAL one..a grown up one, one for real men... something like the Musical Fidelity KW750. The sort of thing you buy once in your life time, something that you keep until you're deaf and even then you can still turn it up some more. Something that can correctly drive really big speakers... something that can drive a 3 ohm reactive load without taking the output stage into the danger zone.

Come on Arcam .. Let's have your version of an SUV of a power amp!
  11. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,287
    I gave up waiting, so I bought a Bryston 4BSST instead. Very nice indeed, puts any of the Arcam amps to shame.
  12. cjohnson6

cjohnson6 Member

Ratings:
    +53
    Crusty, you're superbly placed to be able to compare these products.. And I assume you've spent a great deal of time and trouble selecting what is potentially the last power amp you'll ever have to buy. The Bryston should last a life time and I imagine you'll never have to make use of the 20 year warranty. My McIntosh is now 19 years old and has taken a beating, but it still sounds perfect.. Products of this quality last forever.

Arcam make top quality products which stand the test of time. But, their product range is truely lacking in top end amplification. Just picture the AV9 coupled to an array of Brystons... I'll bet you've even tried it out in your shop...:rolleyes:
  13. RumNYC

RumNYC Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I wish arcam with take all the audio/video boards inside a DV139 and stick it inside a AV9 add a firewire port that supports dsd. Then I can enjoy the film like quality and fine audio from all my av sources ;). They can call it an AV10. Pair that to a McIntosh tank (or seven ;)), and I am in heaven.
  14. cjohnson6

cjohnson6 Member

Ratings:
    +53
    Perhaps we should start a McIntosh owners thread? And a Bryston owners thread.
  15. RumNYC

RumNYC Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I would buy my first FMJ product with Arcam has a Pre/Pro that supports LPCM over HDMI so that I can play sacds from a PS3 without going the compressed optical route. Don't really care about hdmi 1.3, but this LPCM thing is killing me :(

Well that, and the fact that Arcam doesn't sell AV gear over here in Japan.
  16. globe125

globe125 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For DV135/137

I would build another two stripped down models without video boards; to make these players audio only. Both machines have outstanding sonic capabilities, but pretty weak in video department. So why should anyone waist money for average video performance??? I compared back to back DV135 with Denon 2930 on 56 inch 1080p panel; unfortunately Arcam is miles behind...
  17. Nabs

Nabs Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I would second that....
  18. Dankeech

Dankeech Active Member

Ratings:
    +318
    Wow, I like this idea. Portable Arcam. Nice.

Dan.
  19. Nabs

Nabs Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I know this has ben hinted upon previously (see p1000 case thread), however I am interested in building a media centre pc - mainly to act with my wired network and stream from my main pc and also to allow gaming from the living room and also pass decent audio quality. I would however like to maintain the ARCAM look I have currently.

How about launching either an Arcam HTPC (which individuals can upgrade via arcam or modify/ upgrade themselves) or a series of ARCAM HTPC-Cases with cool runnign psu's for build your own enthusiasts.
  20. smallangryboy

smallangryboy Member

Ratings:
    +48
    I'd welcome an option to add an internal phono board to Arcams range of receivers as a cost option.

I think they used to do this with the old Delta series.
  21. smallangryboy

smallangryboy Member

Ratings:
    +48
    While I'm on a roll, how about a DVD based media server, similar to the existing CD one Arcam produces but with a DVD player and the ability to store / stream MP3's, AVI, and Mpegs.
  22. ruben20

ruben20 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    How about revising the A32.. again with 7.1!
  23. smallangryboy

smallangryboy Member

Ratings:
    +48
    Phono stage in the AVR Diva range of Arcam gear.
  24. Nabs

Nabs Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Arcam Media Streamer with the ability to accept codecs: MPEG 1/2/4, AVI, XVID, WMV9 (MP@HL), H.264 (BP@L3 and MP@4.0 and HP@4.0), AVC (HD) and VC-1 (MP@HL and AP@L3), MP3, WMA, AAC, Ogg, PCM, M4A, AC3, FLAC and WAV etc .
    Inputs including at least 2 sets of analogues; 3 hdmi with switching ability, usb2
    LAN (10/100Mbps),WLAN 802.11g
    Audio outputs via analogue or digital out.
    Good quality scaler.
    Switchable/ hot swapable Harddrive.
  25. A.T.M.

A.T.M. Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't read enough about the R-Dock yet, but I am under the impression that it only works with the ipod. If possible, could one be made that would be compatible with the ipone esp (and then other mp3 players of the sort)--may make for better product sales for the rdock. And I agree with the above statement that it would be nice for any arcam remote to be able to control the rdoc. :smashin:

Thanks for listening,
    ATM
  26. vistisen

vistisen Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes please
  27. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,274
    I'd like a standalone DAC doing all of the formats - traditional audio and movie, plus DSD and the new HD formats (including extended stream) - over HDMI 1.3, optical and coax (minimum of 5 selectable input devices), giving a 7.1 analogue output.

Such a device could be used with any CD, SACD, DVD, HD DVD or Bluray player or satellite-type setups, sitting between the source and the 7.1 analogue inputs.
  28. hrotti

hrotti Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Or a dac just for the new hd formats, 4 hdmi in and 7.1 analog out, I'm too impatient to wait for av10
  29. proux

proux Member

Ratings:
    +62
    How about a BluRay and / or HD-DVD player with excellent 1080p upscaling for SD, that is also truly universal (supports SACD / DVD-A). Happy to keep a separate CD player (or music server) personally.
  30. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,274
    The Bluray / HD DVD player with DVD an SACD should also have 7.1 analogue outputs, full on-board HD decoding (including dts HD MA), configurable lipsync and on-board bass management. For SACD, it should also support sending the 5.1 rear channels to both of the 7.1 rear speakers (-3dB).