Arcam Product Suggestions

mpmct

Standard Member
Reaction score
So as not to incur the wrath of Crusty ...

( in all good humor! And thank you Crusty for all of
your invaluable and spot-on accurate
information, not to mention your characteristic and much
appreciated brevity )

... I really want an Arcam stand-alone DAC. Tomorrow.
I know that others have mentioned this in various threads.
But I'm mentioning it again regardless.

I'm ready to let my MacBook Pro do a digitial feed to a DAC,
and I want an Arcam DAC. The new Mac UI and beautifully simple
remote control that manages audio, video, and images is
very compelling. Unfortunately, the Mac DAC, no suprise,
leaves something ( a lot ) to be desired. I know, there are other DACs
out there, but we want to keep it all Arcam here. :thumbsup:

I second that!!! :smashin:

And another thing ... I want an Arcam 'credit card' remote control.
It would be very small, the size of a credit card, but thicker of course, as necessary.

I'll pay for it as an additional, with pleasure.

It would include basic CD/DVD player control, *including fast forward/fast reverse
scanning*, with the buttons all in the expected places, whether
I drive on the left or right siide of the road in my native land.

It would power up and power off all Arcam gear ..
and be remarkably similar to the new, elegant, very simple Macintosh remote control.

I'll happily pay for it as an additional ... or did I mention that already? ;)

If not a DAC, how about a digital input on the FMJ CD and/or DVD players? This way I could output a digital signal from my Squeezebox or cablebox in my two-channel system. Right now I'm using a Benchmark DAC1 for this, but it would be nice to keep it all Arcam.

How about a "Buy one - Get one free" offer on Arcam FMJ P1's !!! :D

If not a DAC, how about a digital input on the FMJ CD and/or DVD players? This way I could output a digital signal from my Squeezebox or cablebox in my two-channel system. Right now I'm using a Benchmark DAC1 for this, but it would be nice to keep it all Arcam.

I second this; I sent them an email once about it... it would be an awesome value-added feature to their CD decks that would cost very little to impliment. And they should make it easy (and more affordable) to pop in a new DAC chipset every few years. Help people stay in the Arcam family.

Remote should have one button to dim all the components at once.. and maybe remember that that's my default.

A decently-specced Freeview/DVB tuner with all the bellsand whistles for me, please.

Clem

I know you are talking about features to add to existing products, but I have an idea for an arcam product that I think would be really great.

Similar to the new rotel scaler: RVE-1060. Arcam should make a video scaler/deinterlacer with 1080p upconverting similar to there DVD players, but for all video sources. But in addition it should support taking audio off of HDMI, and pass the audio either by pcm fiber optic, or by analogue interconnects. Also make it so you can hook up via RS-232 connections, so it can work invisibly with other arcam products, such as AVR 250-AVR 350, AVP 700, AV8, and AV9. So when you pick a source on the AVR 350, it switches to that source on the new scaler, etc.

I just think arcam has such great video in there DVD players, it would be great if we could use there scaling and deinterlacing on other video sources.

This would be a great add on feature to various arcam products, especially once HDMI 1.3 is out, so you can still use your existing receiver, or preamp.

Keep it in the same style as the DIVA, and FMJ, so it can look great on your rack with all the other arcam gear.

Look at the press release for the similar product from rotel:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/forum...ead.php?t=5094

(Sorry crusty I didn't see this thread, when i posted in features)

A seperate scaler would certainly be beneficial to nearly every arcam owner. A seperate audio break out from HDMI would be fantastic, there are so many devices including the PS3 that dont have analogue connections for outputting HD audio formats.

Somehow I dont think we are likely to see this any time soon as some of these features (hdmi audio) will be implemented on future products ie AVR400 or AV10. With our obsession for upgrades it would be like shooting themselves in the foot ;)

Wishful thinking though.

How about a "Buy one - Get one free" offer on Arcam FMJ P1's !!! :D

That would separate me from more of my money, no question.
But maybe they wouldn't be able to make 'em fast enough
to keep the queue manageable? :)

Trig in/out etc. ...

Please just toss those little cables into: a CD36 box, a C31 box, every P1 box, etc.

Even if there's a risk of reduncancy. Toss 'em in.

I suspect anyone willing to drop money ( well-spent ) on
gear such as the above would hope to not have to spend hours ferreting
out those trivial connections at the local dealer -- or worse,
in my case, at the local low-end electronics shop.

There's time, and then there's money. Those of us lucky enough in our
old age to be able to enjoy Arcam top-of-the-line, probably have
less time than money. After all we can't retire, we have
to continue working to pay for our gear. ;)

Trig in/out etc. ...

Hadn't even thought of that. Great idea and for those not aware of the convenience of your DVD etc powering on with the AV amp, it'd get them to look up in the manual about the feature and use it, end result finding a feature that some recievers don't have and enjoying the simplicity

Dan.

... and enjoying the simplicity

Dan.

Yes, the simplicity! That says it all.

the iPod, the new iPhone, and on and on.

We need it to be simple, at its most
base level. Leave the tedium intact and find-able for the chronic
power-user, but make it simple for those of us, and that's
most of us, who lack the time and focus. I suspect the great
most of us are all tuckered out from all the other stuff
we *gotta* do. ;)

gimme some music tonight. and make it simple. i be tired. ;)

How about a HDMI switch that understands the AVR 300/250 RS232 commands. That way we can add HDMI switching to the AVR300 and 250 seamlessly.

Arctor I'd second that but also combine that with the scaler and it will be a cert winner.

Lenovo (former IBM) produces the worlds by far best laptops with their T-series. I would love if Arcam could get together with those ThinkPad-people and give the audio/video parts of the T-series higher quality. Maybe throw in an Arcam DAB- and FM-tuner into it also.

Or a 12volt waterproof DVD/CD/FM/DAB/5.1 mini-solo with 2x75w 8Ohm in 2 channel mode. I would put one in my boat ASAP!

Or an Arcam LED-projector of 800 ansi lumen.

This is in the feature request but strikes me as more of a product. It actually involves both so unsure where it sits.

How about a 3 in 1 out, 7.1 switch that has an RS232 port that understands AVR250/300/350/700 and AV8/9 RS232 codes. That way you could have multiple blu-ray - HD DVD - SACD players sharing the 7.1 input.

It would (may?) require a firmware change to the receiver to allow other inputs (VCR, TAPE, AUX etc) to use the 7.1 inputs instead of there preassigned analogue or digital inputs.

how about a digital input on the FMJ CD and/or DVD players? .

Sounds good :smashin: ! Given the Arcam DVD players' superb on board surround decoding incl. Prologic II, I could then plug in my cable box to get great surround for HD movies (assuming they will arrive on Telewest one day). No need for a separate processor then, so could spend the savings on a stereo amp with multichannel input board and 3 channel power amp!

Wireless, wireless wireless :thumbsup: Who wants cables? The technology is already there and cheap enough.

As well as connecting DVD to AVR, CD to Amp etc, it would also be nice to stream music from a PC/Mac to the Amp, or broadband TV/radio to AVR, all via wireless.

A USB port for a USB flash drive on AVR's, Amp's and even CD players (any source really) holding thousands of MP3's :thumbsup:

EDIT Just noticed the Arcam Features thread so maybe this has already been mentioned.

A FMJ P7 with the same gain as all other Arcam Amps. Drop the THX specification - does anyone really care these days?
Or provide switchable gain on the P7, so the P7 could be configured for Arcam gain or THX gain.

My wish list would be thus:

1) Arcam to produce a new AV processor with HDMI audio (even with the associated jitter)/multiple 7.1 analogue inputs and room correction/auto setup. (Also the room correction could be applied to the analogue inputs).

If it was priced at the AV9 price point, then I would buy it in an instant.

2) A new high current 10 channel power amp (to allow bi-amping of the front speakers, single amping of the rears) based on monoblocs with at least 200W PC. Bridging of the channels capability would be great also. (How about A communications bus between processor / power amp?).

I would like to see a USB port on a DV139, So that I can play an divx file from a USB memory stick

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom