Arcam FMJ BDP100 Blu-ray Player

Status
Not open for further replies.
P.S. after having my unit the best part of a week, and now the owner of a couple of Blu-Rays, I'm still giving it "wow!" type feedback !!

Good for you. :smashin:

Avi

Wow. Sounds like it will blow my DV137 away.

Just waiting for Arcam and my dealer to get back to me.

Hmmm - after seeing what a Panasonic BD player at £250 can do in terms of upsampling DVDs at the weekend, I fear the BDP100 will have to be something special to beat it. I'm reserving judgement till I can see one in the flesh!

It's just that we are in different worlds and have different expectations.

Great reply sir (I only quoted this bit for brevity)

For me it is very simple. If I can see a difference then there is a difference. If it sounds better to me then it is.

But then again the next HiFi thing that I intend to buy is a £400 power lead.

And then - probably - a BDP100.

Last edited:
Bananahead,

Thanks for your support...
When I read posts like Jowi's one, I sometimes feel a little depressed :)

As yourself, I might get me a BDP100 if it turns out that it would replace my CD23T/DV139 and add the BR feature. This would allow me to get some free room to add a decent digital source. I guess this is the next thing Arcam should work on instead of things like the rCube !

Regards.

PenguinHiFi

For me it is very simple. If I can see a difference then there is a difference. If it sounds better to me then it is.

That's the good thing and the bad thing about this hobby. We can pretty much believe what we want.

The human mind is a fascinating thing. ;)

Avi

That's the good thing and the bad thing about this hobby. We can pretty much believe what we want.

The human mind is a fascinating thing. ;)

Avi

love it well said everyone's eyes and ears are different and the way we perceive
things to ,, the proof is in the pudding and only you can make that choice ;)

Last edited:
Its interesting, I've been off the forum for a while just enjoying watching movies on my system and some of the issues around BR spinners that were doing the rounds a while back seem to be still being discussed. People seem to be still suggesting that the Arcam will show an improvement in Blu Ray p.q and a.q (audio via HDMI) I thought it was pretty much a given and recognised by 'experts' that even the cheapest players could match the most expensive in respect of the two areas I've mentioned. Should someone believes they genuinely see a difference on their setup I wouldn't want to disagree and good luck to them but would be stunned if I could see a difference myself, on my setup with the Arcam or any other highend spinner for that matter. It is however a very interesting proposition when it comes to CD's. :smashin:

Its interesting, I've been off the forum for a while just enjoying watching movies on my system and some of the issues around BR spinners that were doing the rounds a while back seem to be still being discussed. People seem to be still suggesting that the Arcam will show an improvement in Blu Ray p.q and a.q (audio via HDMI) I thought it was pretty much a given and recognised by 'experts' that even the cheapest players could match the most expensive in respect of the two areas I've mentioned. Should someone believes they genuinely see a difference on their setup I wouldn't want to disagree and good luck to them but would be stunned if I could see a difference myself, on my setup with the Arcam or any other highend spinner for that matter. It is however a very interesting proposition when it comes to CD's. :smashin:

I suspect the differences between the BDP100 and lesser players will not be seen on BD; they'll be on DVD and CD playback.

I suspect the differences between the BDP100 and lesser players will not be seen on BD; they'll be on DVD and CD playback.

Analogue CD playback is where Arcam have expertise. In terms of digital video providing the player design/implementation isn't screwed up it's all pretty much down to the Broadcom SoC. The video (and audio) decoding, chroma up-sampling, de-interlacing, video processing i.e. noise filters, image enhancement etc takes place in this SoC. :)

Avi

People seem to be still suggesting that the Arcam will show an improvement in Blu Ray p.q and a.q (audio via HDMI)

I think it's important to define what is meant by "improvement" as opposed to "different". For example I recall reading a What HiFi? review on one of JVC HD projectors (a model without CMS). They rated it better than other PJ's in the "their test" specifically because of its colour performance. The sad fact is this PJ had a very oversaturated colour gamut that is inaccurate. However, this was claimed as an "improvement" over products that happened to have more accurate colour performance.

It's relatively easy to change the "look" of 1080p/24 Blu-ray image. It's even possible to cause a difference when comparing products if certain basic settings i.e. colourspace etc or other default settings are different. Some displays produce different result due to converting incoming signals to their native scheme for processing for example. Some of these difference may be less noticeable than others but can show clearly on appropriate test material.

Avi

Last edited:
Well my order has been put in for an AVR600 and BDP100. Just waiting for stock on the AVR.

Anyone want a DV137?? :D

I'm keen, very keen.
Stayed away from all the Bluray/HD hype when it first kicked off and have managed to convince myself that my kit is the bees knees.
Now that Arcam have finally entered the fray, with DVD and CD inclusive - then I need to see this in all it's glory, before I can whimper to the missus.
Living in Anglesey, occasionally visiting Birmingham at weekends......can anyone let me know where to drag my beloved along to get wowed?

Are there any reviews of the BDP100 yet from any reputable sites etc? I would consider this as an option simply due to the CD audio performance this spinner should produce with my MA speakers. However hesitant to pull the trigger if other aspects such as Blu Ray and SD performance aren't upto scratch. My workhorse 983 still can't be topped for SD and as I've mentioned in a previous post I don't expect any improvement in HD over my existing player. Want I wouldn't want the Arcam to do is to introduce any weirdness ala the old Sony ES player.

Received our BDP100 today. Initial impressions out of the box:

1. The Blu-Ray performance is the best I've seen on a BD player and we've demoed a large number of BD players in the last 6 months at our customer's requests. I have a few customers who have been waiting for me to report on this and now I can.

2. SD performance does indeed outpace the DV139 (I have one myself) by a significant margin.

3. Definitely need to go region-free on the DVD side to allow me to play all my personal non-Region 1 collection.

4. It was apparent from the beginning that the sonic performance of this player bested the 139 by a significant margin as well and that's with the unit straight from the box, cold and not broken in. I'll be retaining the 139 for SACD capability and the 139 will be used now purely as a CD/SACD spinner.

So far, in the last few hours I've ran the BDP100 through its paces and I can't find anything that seems amiss in performance nor have any glitches made themselves known. Assuming it's trouble-free going forward, it's a winner !:smashin:

Received our BDP100 today. Initial impressions out of the box:

1. The Blu-Ray performance is the best I've seen on a BD player and we've demoed a large number of BD players in the last 6 months at our customer's requests. I have a few customers who have been waiting for me to report on this and now I can.
:

Hi Naimer. :)
Regarding BD performance could you please explain more on the improvement you're seeing in this area compared to other players.
Cheers.

2. SD performance does indeed outpace the DV139 (I have one myself) by a significant margin.

Like KF I'd be interested in some more detail about what defines "best" for Blu-ray. Some examples would be great.

Also how does PAL performance compare to the DV139 and can you define what "outpace by a significant margin" means in terms of SD ? Again examples would be good.

Is it correct to assume you're an Arcam dealer ?

Avi

Hi,

Well, so far it seems to become consistent that :

1°) The BDP100 offers a good playback of BR disks. Which isn't really a surprise because so far, even lower priced players achieve this. I guess the less you compress you source,the harder it gets to release a crappy player :)

2°) The BDP100 offers stellar DVD playback. People report it to even outperform the DV139. If this is true, then just for that reason, the BDP100 is a top choice, because so far I've seen no DVD player that was able to compete with the DV139.

3°) The BDP100 offers superior sound performance. But if I got it all right, that concerns essentially the "Motion track" part and doesn't tell for the CD playback.

If the CD playback is better than my CD23T, then I'll take it to replace my CD23T, my DV139 and my Panasonic BR player. And to play "high definition" files, I'd rather use 24/96 files bought on the internet.

Regards.

PenguinHiFi

2°) The BDP100 offers stellar DVD playback. People report it to even outperform the DV139. If this is true, then just for that reason, the BDP100 is a top choice, because so far I've seen no DVD player that was able to compete with the DV139.

People also report than certain Panasonic Blu-ray players outperfrom certain Arcam players that use the same ABT chipset as the DV139. Personally I would be wary of claims about "significant" difference unless they are backed up with specific details of the difference with examples. One of the great things about AVF is cutting through the stuff that has been shoveled by AV mags for years. Hence it may be wise to wait for more objective feedback.

And to play "high definition" files, I'd rather use 24/96 files bought on the internet.

Whilst I'm assessing a non optical disc based media solutions I burn 24/94 downloads to DVD-A. Sounds great and offers a solution until I find a better alternative for my setup.

Avi

Last edited:
Like KF I'd be interested in some more detail about what defines "best" for Blu-ray. Some examples would be great.

Also how does PAL performance compare to the DV139 and can you define what "outpace by a significant margin" means in terms of SD ? Again examples would be good.

Is it correct to assume you're an Arcam dealer ?

Avi

Avi, is there any particular reason why you have refrained from giving your views having seen the unit in action ? Im sure some of the more techy folks following this thread would like to hear what you think about it ..

Hi Avi,

Of course, I do not expect the BDP100 to beat the DV139 hands down. What I would hate though is to replace a device with a lesser one. So, even if the BDP100 is only "on par" with the DV139, then that will do already :)
Same if it is on par with my CD23T.
Same if it is on par with my Panasonic Blu-Ray player... but it has to be quicker !

That would allow me to replace 3 players with one, which would save up space and allow easier operation for my wife !
The saved space would the be dedicated to a digital player. I guess this will (at least it should be) Arcam's next move !

PenguinHiFi

Avi, is there any particular reason why you have refrained from giving your views having seen the unit in action ? Im sure some of the more techy folks following this thread would like to hear what you think about it ..

I didn't see/hear the unit in action in my own setup. The unit was attached to a relatively small display and an Arcam sat/sub system. I've no idea how the display chain was calibrated and the sound wasn't good either but that may have been related to the room/setup.

Hence, my view based on the above wouldn't provide anymore real insight than most of the other stuff that's being posted. That's why I believe it's important to have a more detailed objective assessment in a known playback system.

Like many highly anticipated players before it once the launch smoke clears we tend to get a better idea of true performance relative to other products. :)

Avi

I would like to see a considered/ blind ( not with eyes closed!) review between the new Arcam Blu Ray player and the new OPPO BDP 93 which is not out yet but has been announced. I have the OPPO BDP 83 modified for multi region etc and it has the advantage of playing SACD discs which the Arcam doesn't. I use it as a universal player .I am very pleased with this machine so far .I think the new OPPO will cost around £500. Whether it is worth me upgrading to either machine will depend on reviews and posts here, I will not buy without research. I love the sound of my 600!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom