1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam FMJ BDP100 Blu-ray Player

Discussion in 'Arcam Forum' started by Ian_S, Jun 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Wallace

David Wallace Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Well, they have shipped to the dealers :D mine is confirmed as being installed with a AVR 500 and some Vienna speakers on Tuesday. :smashin:
  2. iainl2005

iainl2005 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Got a call from seven oaks, player is in on Tuesday
  3. BrianMW

BrianMW Active Member

Ratings:
    +388
    I think you guys are very brave!

You have obviously purchased these BDP's unheard/unseen/unreviewed :eek:

I have always fully demo'd any of my kit especially something costing one thousand pounds, I am sure that the Arcam will be a very good player but hopefully for you brave guys better than the alternatives, I'll wait just that little longer :blush:
  4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,579
    I'll look forward to reading about these new owner's thoughts on this player, but TBH if I'd bought it blind and annouced it on a forum, it might be a little hard to come back and say any thing negative about it. ;)
  5. Avi

Avi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,079
    Say it ain't so... ;)

I'll probably get to see one next weekend but not to make a proper assessment though. Still I might find out what SoC Arcam are using as this doesn't appear to have been confirmed that I can find.

Avi
  6. iainl2005

iainl2005 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I have heard from some people that the player is breathtaking so not going totally blind, and to be honest it will look nice sitting on my rack above my avr600:D
  7. millibars

millibars Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I have now installed my system (took a week!) and I am very pleased :clap:.

I bought the Sony S-570 and must say it is cracking value @ £167 multi region dvd (richer sounds).

Spoke to my dealer this week & will soon be dropping by to audition the BDP 100, I will take the sony with me for comparison.

regards

M
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Buckster

Buckster Moderator

Ratings:
    +211
    I'll be interested too :) - I'm hoping this Bluray is a success for Arcam (genuinely) as I think Arcam bring a lot to the market - I say that as I've had quite a few Arcam products in the past and have always found them of high quality :) and when I had a problem with an (old old) amp their support via email was superb.
  9. David Wallace

David Wallace Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have listened to reviewers and am happy that the system will perform to my expectations in this price bracket (>10kfor the system). That is, it will be better than my ability to criticise it. :D it's a huge step up for me from my last Dennon system so I doubt I will be disappointed.
  10. DJBlade

DJBlade Member

Ratings:
    +62
  11. Avi

Avi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,079
    I think a number of dealers have had a play. Liam of Progressive AV posted a bit more detailed feedback earlier in this thread.

Personally I'd wait until the hype wave dissipates and there is more objective review info available from credible third parties plus get a better idea of functional robustness, reliability etc. :)

Avi
  12. Buckster

Buckster Moderator

Ratings:
    +211
    are the codec support lists up to date ? ie no FLAC/WAV ?
  13. BrianMW

BrianMW Active Member

Ratings:
    +388
    One of the main reasons I said it was brave was because it wouldn't be the first Arcam to be released with lets say a few little bugs (AVR600 springs to mind). Not to say it wont be a great product, having purchased many Arcam Products in the past I have a lot of Faith in them but, personally I would have wanted to see/hear it before buying it, maybe thats just me.

When you say "listened to reviewers" has the player been fully reviewed anywhere? I might have missed one... :)
  14. jowi

jowi Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Personally i can never take reviews like this seriously. If they say that this machine is so good 'it makes DVD look like bluray', it either means that the bluray quaility is probably so bad it looks like an upscaled dvd, or they have never actually experienced bluray or HD material at all and don't know what they're talking about.
  15. Avi

Avi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,079
    I'd like the following comment to be taken constructively as it is meant as such. The guys at Roy Jowett are a decent bunch of helpful individuals and they have a demo room that at least provides access to a range of products that may otherwise be difficult to audition. This is good and better than you may find at a lot of dealers so worthy of praise. However having been there a few times I sincerely hope their demo room doesn't reflect the application of their knowledge and expertise in terms of achieving the best from video and audio. :(

As I said this is meant as constructively feedback and I'm sure this can be significantly improved and benefit both the customer and them in terms of sales. But is does make me pause when I read this type of review. :)

Avi
  16. KelvinS1965

Ratings:
    +2,579
    It's a shame you won't be demoing it on your HD550 as this would be a relevant comparison for me as I have the older BDP-S350 player and a HD350. I'm currently unconvienced that I'll see an improvement over my existing player for 1080/24p BluRays (99% of my viewing I'd say) allowing for the fact that the system is calibrated using this player. If any 'improvement' turned out to be down to tweaks in the gamma curve, then I could just as easily do this myself if I wanted. However if the BDP100 gave the same calibration results and the image did look better, then I'd be converted.

A home demo is likely the best course of action for me once the player is out in the wild. If I see a genuine improvement (and I will check the calibration while I have the player and adjust my settings to ensure a level playing field) then I may well treat myself to the new player regardless of lack of analogue outputs. :eek: I've come to the conclusion that I'm happy enough with core DTS anyway and if the CD playback betters my CD73 then it would also be one less box in the rack.

Even so I'll be monitoring this thread for any issues similar to the AVR500/600 until I'm convinced it's not a lemon. ;)
  17. NW3

NW3 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Not sure how much credence I would give that review...to me this bit does not make any sense at all

We tried it on a number of projectors, including the JVC DLA-HD550 and Themescene HD86, and ran it through the superb Arcam AVR500 AV Receiver. Even with such high-end kit, we were still able to see improvements in SD DVD playback through the BDP100 compared with lesser players.

Well if you can't perceive improvements over lesser players when using "high end kit" I would think you would want to be asking for your money back. After all said high end kit is likely to be more revealing ? Either that or they seem to be implying that your source component is not really that important.
  18. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +801
    For your kind of setup, which is quite typical of our kind of client, in terms of blu-ray video you won't see much difference from the Sony you are using. Sending out 1080p24 video and bitstream HD audio is pretty much the same quality with any properly made player that doesn't add any artefacts along the way. The gains come in how DVD is handled, CD audio replay, ease and speed of use, and for that guy a couple of pages back the fact that it matches his Arcam receiver!!! For you it will beat the CD73 I'm quite sure, but it's a demo and see for yourself scenario. Does it beat it by enough... In fact DVD may see a small improvement if you are using the Sony for DVD feeding 576p to the Edge. Arcam have always had quite good MPEG decoding and DD/DTS handling you might find some slight improvements even though scaling and deinterlacing is all done by the Edge in both scenarios, probably not much more detail to be shown on a 40" TV but a demo will tell.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  19. millibars

millibars Member

Ratings:
    +17
    It's a shame you won't be demoing it on your HD550 as this would be a relevant comparison for me as I have the older BDP-S350 player and a HD350. I'm currently unconvienced that I'll see an improvement over my existing player for 1080/24p BluRays (99% of my viewing I'd say) allowing for the fact that the system is calibrated using this player. If any 'improvement' turned out to be down to tweaks in the gamma curve, then I could just as easily do this myself if I wanted. However if the BDP100 gave the same calibration results and the image did look better, then I'd be converted.

Thankfully the dealer has the JVC550, avr600 & B&W805D on demo as well as the Oppo 83 NuForce. I don't think I can ask for more

Regards

M
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. DJBlade

DJBlade Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Ive just placed my order, its in stock and ships today, i just couldnt resist !!
  21. KelvinS1965

Ratings:
    +2,579
    Thanks for the comment Liam, I figured as much re the 1080/24p stuff, DVD playback is minimal these days, so I'd just need to consider if the CD playback was enough of an improvement to justify the cost and convienience of a single box. I agree that on a 40" I doubt I'd see a difference, but I never use that to watch BluRays or DVDs, only the projector, but DVD use is very small for me these days too. I think I just fancy a new toy and it helped that it also matched my amp. ;)

@millibars Sounds like you've got a decent dealer there, which is half the battle IMHO.
  22. Mark

Mark Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Yipeee ours arrived at lunchtime
    So far so good:smashin:
  23. iainl2005

iainl2005 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    My birthday is next Tuesday, and the missus wont let me open it till then...:(
  24. iownut

iownut Member

Ratings:
    +3
    For you it will beat the CD73 I'm quite sure...

Liam's comment is an encouragement as cd performance will be the most that matters to me. Rather than spend money on repairing my 92 or even upgrading, I am quite prepared to fork out for for this so as to leave me with less components. Having said that, if it won't give me multi region, then I'll keep my old dv88 for the sake of a load of other region dvds I've picked up over the years. Currently using either the 88 or Sony S760 to play cds at the mo' and really wanting to be able to get the better sound that my new avr500 is itching to give any reputable cd player. :)
  25. Damian1978

Damian1978 Active Member

Ratings:
    +232
    We need....no....demand pictures! :-D Would be cool to see the rear of it to guage where all the connections are. Also what's its height including the feet?
  26. iownut

iownut Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Anyone know of any dealers with stock in that haven't been pre-ordered?
  27. DJBlade

DJBlade Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Bartletts HiFi 020 7607 2148

just rung me to say stock has arrived, in black !

Got mine from www.hificorner.co.uk - tel : 0131 556 7901 earlier today, they had one left too.
  28. DJBlade

DJBlade Member

Ratings:
    +62
    How you finding it Mark ? hows it compare to your previous cd spinner (which is/was ?? ) ??
  29. Fred Quimby

Fred Quimby Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Strange init..Arcam bring out their BD player at last..............then guess what Oppo are on the verge of releasing the Oppo 93 in Nov.

Which means around Jan 2011 they will release the Oppo 93SE. Around £500

I hope the Arcam is good though.
  30. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +801
    It won't be multi region for Blu-Ray but should be for DVD.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.