1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam Feature Suggestions

Discussion in 'Arcam Forum' started by Crustyloafer, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Greggles

Greggles Member

Ratings:
    +78
    A bit beyond a firmware upgrade, but how about two sets of multi-channel audio inputs on the AV9. Until Arcam launch a Blu-Ray:smashin: / HD-DVD:thumbsdow player that can play DVD-A/ SACD or even CDs well, I am forced to constantly swap leads over depending what is playing!
  2. gpa

gpa New Member

Ratings:
    +321
    Nope juist tried it again, if i put it in and close it just shows track info, if I put in tray and hit play it does exactly the same just track info, I have to re-hit play to start. OH well just as well it is going back.

cheers
  3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,272
    You are correct there for CD and SACD actually, I have just tried my DV139 and it's the same. It does play automatically for DVD-V and DVD-A but for CD and SACD yes you do need to press play again. To be honest it's not really a big deal to me, it obviously bothers you though.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. gpa

gpa New Member

Ratings:
    +321
    No I'm just a lazy bugger, without exception all the other systems i have owned have done this, just feel it is a bit odd, not going to loose any sleep so don't worry:D
  5. Rakurai

Rakurai Member

Ratings:
    +8
    The DV137 starts the disc automatically when it is a DVD or DVD-A. For CD and SACD, you'll have to press Play again once the tray is closed. I've experienced this with all units I've had / have thusfar, so AFAIK it's not an issue with the unit itself.
  6. Dankeech

Dankeech Member

Ratings:
    +318
    All, I've retitled the thread as 'Suggestions' as opposed to 'Requests'. Wouldn't want anyone from Arcam feeling at all pressed, but hopefully now title reads as a place where feedback is available for manufacturer to take note if they so wish:)

dhoffacker, I have moved your prduct request thread to the Arcam Product Suggestions thread and made that thread a stick too. It may be the case these two threads get merged at some point depending on the direction each discussion goes.

I have also tidied a couple of posts so references to moving dhoffacker's post to the other thread don't cause confusion.

Dan.
  7. trailer

trailer Member

Ratings:
    +241
    Iv'e just got an HTM4 so pleeeeeease can I bi-wire it ????????

:devil:
  8. Crustyloafer

Ratings:
    +1,272
    You can bi-wire it already, but you can't bi-amp it yet.
  9. trailer

trailer Member

Ratings:
    +241
    Oops.................

That's what I meant, honest!
  10. Ian_S

Ian_S Member

Ratings:
    +1,499
    Can we have the levels adjustments in 0.5db increments instead of 1db on the AVP/AVR's?
  11. vistisen

vistisen Member

Ratings:
    +3
    It ought to be possible to make a dvd player that has an auto start film feature that can be enabled or disabled. After all the film is the largest file on the disk, so it must be easy to find it! That way I can choose not to be shouted at great length about being a naughty pirate, even though I am sitting there with a bought genuine DVD! It would also enable me to avoid all the interactive menus that are:
    a. annoying,
    b. twice as loud as the actual film.
  12. Exirion

Exirion Member

Ratings:
    +7
  13. trailer

trailer Member

Ratings:
    +241
    Any news on the grapevine with regards to anything mentioned previously???
  14. Dankeech

Dankeech Member

Ratings:
    +318
    Hi Trailer, this thread really is for suggestions for discussion. Arcam of course may browse this thread in passing and may even find some suggestions on this list something they'd consider proceeding with and would be viable.

This thread was started earlier this month and that would be quite extraordinary had any manufacturer seen a suggestion on a thread like this from a minority part of their customers and not only picked up one of the suggestions available on this thread, but looked into it further, put it forward to their software/tech people and got a solution turned round too for public release / further news on.

I think the question's valid about anyone heard of any new software updates, perhaps even including any of the suggestions in this list, but I really want to mention at this point for all in this thread, that this is a suggestions discussion.

The last thing I believe we should have is suggestion that Arcam should be taking on these ideas and possible pressure raised with questions/surprise posts on this thread if none are taken.

Trailer's question is fine, but I'd not set any expectations that suggestions here will maybe become features etc and if so not question why none have been.

..I'm just being careful here in advance that this remains a resource and discussion that can be tapped into by any forum users inc Arcam for information/discussion, and not considered a route to the manufacturer's door.

Personally I've not heard anything, though I'll almost certainly be at the Bristol Show at the end of this month and hope to at least say hi to Arcam myself. I'll no doubt bring a notepad or PDA and hope to provide you any titbits of info Arcam provide the public my way if any.

Enjoy your weekending:thumbsup:

Dan.
  15. trailer

trailer Member

Ratings:
    +241
    Thanks Dan,

This is just what I was asking in case any of the regular posters with certain inside information (no names mentioned!) had heard of any future updates.

:thumbsup:
  16. Dankeech

Dankeech Member

Ratings:
    +318
    lol, those kind of people tend to have impressive radar powers and are never far away.
  17. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +813
    It's a nuisance that the Solo/rlead doesn't seem to allow selection by the Composer tag on the iPod tracks.

The root options are to cycle through Album/Artist/Genres/Songs/Playlists which is not good enough when 70% of the music I have is classical.

Wouldn't harm to follow the Squeezebox and have Years in the list.

Maybe on the next s/w upgrade of the Solo:lease:
  18. Crustyloafer

Ratings:
    +1,272
    There has just been a new firmware release for the DV137/139. It fixes/addresses a number of the requests made on here.

Specifically the DVD-Audio 24/192 issue has bee fixed, CDs will now just play if you press the play button to close the tray and the Staus window when playibg DVD-Audio correctly shows what soundtrack is being played.

This is all primarily as a result of customer feedback both on here and directly. I had a visit at the shop form Arcam yesterday and they confirmed that they are keeping a close eye on this thread and taking on board the suggestions made.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Dankeech

Dankeech Member

Ratings:
    +318
    That's great to hear that this thread is of use to Arcam. I'm really glad of that. Good on you for starting it Crusty:smashin:

Dan.
  20. gpa

gpa New Member

Ratings:
    +321

Looks like I wasn't the only lazy bugger out there after all:smashin: Thanks Arcam.
  21. phurst

phurst Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Another vote for this one on the AVR350. I know I can connect the sub via the high level connection but then you're not relieving the main speakers of the low frequencies and that's even more wires to connect up (especially as I've got an SMS-1 on the way). My sub used to work in Direct mode with my Denon AVR2802.

Phil
  22. nix

nix Member

Ratings:
    +90
    I don't know if it's easily achievable or not but the I'd love my AVR350 to accept audio over hdmi.
  23. CharlieUSA

CharlieUSA Member

Ratings:
    +9
    It would be nice to have a shorter delay for input selection (or other commands) following power-up in the AVR-350. The best I've been able to get for reliable macros is 9 seconds.
  24. Crustyloafer

Ratings:
    +1,272
    Why not just use the discrete code for the input as the power up command. If the unit is in standby, pressing any input button will power ther unit up and go directly to that input.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. CharlieUSA

CharlieUSA Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Brilliant! Thanks Crusty!
  26. bpdp379

bpdp379 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Ability to see the OSD on a progressive display when using the AVR-300.

I also would like custom/semi-custom naming of the inputs.
  27. Dankeech

Dankeech Member

Ratings:
    +318
    A 2nd vote here for naming inputs, miss that feature from my NAD reciever

Dan.
  28. Member 12362

Member 12362 Member

Ratings:
    +25
    When selecting 2 or 3 subs in the AV9 software this could create additional level and distance setting options per sub output.

Anyone know what changing the number of subs in the menu does to the outputs?
  29. Cassandra

Cassandra Member

Ratings:
    +1
    A feature I'd really like is the ability to upgrade my own firmware.

Well, technically I already have this ability, it's just that getting hold of the latest Solo firmware is a complete pain because Arcam won't allow it to be distributed.

It's difficult for me to understand why, if I can upgrade the firmware in my wireless router, or my MP3 player, I have to cart my Solo off to the dealer every time I want bugfixes and new features.

As a professional sysadmin, I can assure you I'm way more competent to perform this task than my dealer is anyway.
  30. Nabs

Nabs Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Divx and xvid software update for fmj 29.