Arcam CD17 and CD37 players - what are the differences?

jeetendra

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Having decided it is high time that I replace my Cambridge Audio universal player with something better, I have shortlisted these two players from Arcam: the CD17 (CD) and CD37 (SACD).

The rest of my setup is Arcam FMJ-A28 amp and Monitor Audio RS6 speakers. I wasn't able to hear the CD17 at the dealership, only the CD37. Many have commented that the RBCD layer performance for both players is fairly equal, with the CD37 having only a slight, barely perceptible edge.

So, my question to anyone who has spent quality time with these two players is: is this true? Would you say that RBCD performance of both players is on par? Or does the CD37 have a considerable edge?

As for SACD, I own only a few titles, less than 20. The future of this format is always a matter of raging debate. Some swear it will die out soon, while others maintain it is going to be around for awhile. So my second question is, are you fellow Arcam owners happy with RBCD? Do you feel it is enough or is the premium (almost 40% more in my case) for the SACD feature in the CD37 worth it? (I should mention I listen mainly to Classic Rock, Jazz and some Blues).

Many thanks for any thoughts you would care to share.

If you like Jazz and blues go for the 37. There are some great SACD titles out there. It may even awaken in you a taste for classical.
I own a 37 and love it but I haven't listened to the 17.
Well recorded quality discs will be around for a while yet I think.

Many thanks for your very helpful reply, On the Beach, much appreciated!

Yes, there are some wonderful SACD titles - I especially love the Steely Dan "Gaucho" and Dave Brubeck Quartet "Time Out" high-def recordings. What a joy they are to listen to. I will try to be more civilised and work my way up to Classical but Jazz has me captive these days (years?). But I guess you're right, when buying a source, one ought to just go for gold!

My worry stemmed from a few reports that optical disc players don't last very long these days and that one should not expect more than 3-4 years of service out of one. And with occasional hiccups to boot. Perhaps I was mistaken about this or maybe the Arcam is an exception.

I think my mind is largely made up thanks to you. I will pull the trigger on the CD37 some time this week.

Cheers!

Glad to help Jeetendra.

I think if you can afford the 37 it will be a great purchase for you.
I sort of feel the same way in that if you spend a little more (as long as you have put the research in) you will be rewarded well in the world of Hi-Fi.

If you skimp and save and you are after high fidelity sound I think you will always be missing that special something and always be looking to upgrade.

Poor man pays twice.

I upgraded just last week to the CD37 from the CD73 and I am amazed just how great my new silver spinner sounds. I was very happy already with the CD73 which in itself was a massive step up from the standard run of the mill players I used to own. So to hear such an improvement in the clarity of my CD's now in comparison to the 73 really surprised me. I was expecting a subtle improvement not a huge one like I got.

The 37 has made my average quality speakers really open up. I didn't realise they were that good. And thats with standard RB discs. SACD playback (with Jazz & Blues) is just a huge added bonus.

Hows the weather in down town Mumbai?

Nathan:)

I have heard both. I think the CD performance on the CD37 is substantially better than the CD17.

I just think the CD37 is such a superb and natural sounding disc spinner. Recently I tried a Marantz 15S1 SACD/CD player and although it had some qualities, at the end of the day it wasn't natural and you were listening to the overly clean sound of the CD player more than the music.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom