Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam AVR300 - clicking/popping sound on input and mode change

Discussion in 'Arcam Forum' started by darrellk, Jan 25, 2008.

1. darrellk

darrellk Member

Ratings:
    +2
    My new AVR300 produces a short click/pop sound through all speakers when either changing input or changing sound processing mode. It's independent of volume.

I've tried the ground lift switch, and have disconnected everything from the amp, and it's still there (even with the speakers disconnected, it can be heard via headphones).

Any thoughts? Is this normal?

Darrell
  2. ianmacd

ianmacd Member

Ratings:
    +78
  3. darrellk

darrellk Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I did try some searches on here and google, last night, before unplugging everything from the receiver to try and isolate a problem. Wish I'd used the word "popping" in my search - would have saved me some time! The word only came to me while composing my post this morning. Thanks for the pointer.

So it seems that this is a "feature" of the AVR300. It's quite low level, I only really notice it when switching to or from an input with no signal - for example switching to the CD input before pressing play. Having said that, it does slightly spoil the impression of quality in a product such as the AVR300.

But as long as it's "normal" and not an indicator of problems to come, I'll live with it. Maybe it's just a nod in the direction of the temperamental British hifi of days gone by :)

Darrell
  4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,280
    I would have said it is much more of a nod towards Arcam doing things in such a way that they do not compromise the sound quality at all. The odd pop and click now and then is far more desireable than any significant continuous loss in audio quality which is present in a lot of other competitor's products.
  5. darrellk

darrellk Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I agree about the sound quality - compared to a very well regarded Pioneer model, the AVR300 is a revelation. Sorry about my poor attempt at a joke.

However, it must be said that the similarly IC-based A85 manages to switch inputs, mute, etc without a peep.

Darrell.
  6. Dankeech

Dankeech Active Member

Ratings:
    +318
    The A85 is an analogue amplifier. It's actually the switching on, off and between of the digital processing that has the slight pop sound. The A85 doesn't have digital processing chips such as pro-logic, Dolby Digital, DTS etc so this should explain why the AVR300 does pop and the A85 doesnt.

The popping sound is a signal change. On manyv AV Receivers that don't have that sound, there is a 'filter' placed on the signal line to get rid of the pop sound. Unfortunately that negatively affects the detail and Arcam have previously advised (as far as I recall) that they chose to emit this from the AVR's as it was detrimental to the sound quality, the pop sound being a small price to pay.

Hope that helps.

Dan.
  7. darrellk

darrellk Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Don't get me wrong, I agree that the clicking/popping is a "small price to pay" given the sound quality. However, I'm pretty certain that it's not all due to switching the digital processing in and out. If that were the case, why does it happen in analogue direct mode, just by muting or unmuting the speakers, or switching between two inputs which are both set to analogue direct?

The Multi-channel input is a good example, as Arcam explain that this is just inputs fed to the volume control and on to the power amp section - nothing digital in the signal path. To me this is no different in principle to the analogue A85 amp. One clicks/pops, the other doesn't. The preamps in both cases are controlled by IC logic.

It would be good if someone with a bit of electronic engineering knowledge could explain the possible cause in the case where digital format switching is not active.

As I try to say above, I'm not over-reacting to this and even if I were offered a refund on a plate, I wouldn't take it (assuming that it is not a fault which might lead to future failure). But it is slightly disappointing, having purchased a "premium" receiver (albeit at a heavy discount), that it has this rough edge.

I wonder if the AVR350 does the same?

Regards,
    Darrell
  8. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,280
    Some of the Arcam engineers pop up on here from time to time, perhaps they could answer your question in more detail. You might want to call Arcam directly and get the answer from the horse's mouth.

Yes it is.
  9. junipers

junipers Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I love it - now we know where the problem comes from!