Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam AVR-400 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Arcam Forum' started by ianmacd, Feb 11, 2011.

1. TopMeTom

TopMeTom New Member

Ratings:
    +270
    I am surprised no-one has one yet?
    It is out isnt it?
  2. ianmacd

ianmacd Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Dmo units aparently. Not enough for the people who wanted them (or are on here at least).
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. ianmacd

ianmacd Member

Ratings:
    +78
    As I said, compares to was never in question but this is now turing into the anthem owners thread as no one has listened to both.

Also there are some out there, just no one on here seems to have one, wants to post.
  4. dglozic

dglozic Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Any hands-on experience at the Bristol show today? A400 was supposed to make a debut there.
  5. sigd64

sigd64 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

I have just purchased the 400, and waiting for it to arrive in the store for collection. will be running it on my Monitor Audio Rx Av 12 speakers. at the moment i'm running arcams A90 with my linn lp12 so hopping the stereo sound will be upto scratch.

Will keep you informed

barrie
  6. John Dawson

John Dawson Member

Ratings:
    +113
    Well I am biased (of course!) but I spent half an hour in the demo room with Andy Moore at the close of the show yesterday and the system sounds bloody good - BDP100, AVR400, 5 Muso speakers and 2 Logo subs.

Seriously, we had a lot of praise from visitors during the day so that might tell you something.

I hope a few on here get to check it all out today. Let us know what you thought; also don't be afraid to approach us at the show for a chat.

Sincerely,

John Dawson (Arcam)
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. eimer3107

eimer3107 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I was there yesterday, and it DID sound very good.

I'd pretty much decided to go for the AVR400 - I also (took a deep breath !) and opted for the BDP100. I hope I won't regret this, but from demo, the pairing does seem to offer the stunning audio/picture combo I was hoping for.

PS - any woman visiting the show on their own (there are a few of us, however unlikely it may seem !) should be prepared for an experience they may previously have encountered in a car show-room. Dear sales staff, please remember that while two of you are absorbed discussing the merits of rCube dongles with each other and a single male customer, the woman waiting "patiently" in the queue may be in the market for a new amp or even more !.....Arcam were by no means the only culprits, and in the end, I was very happy with their service. However, can't say I'm surprised some of you have so much difficulty persuading your other halves to take an interest in new kit !
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  8. raychelt

raychelt Member

Ratings:
    +3

Yes, it sounded very impressive. Just have to persuade the wife that another upgrade is in order.

Ray
  9. TopMeTom

TopMeTom New Member

Ratings:
    +270
    I will have to find somewhere to demo and maybe trade my 5507 for one of these.
    It would be a perfect match for my p7!
  10. killiefan

killiefan Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Hi,

I've been trying to find out if the 400 is included in the show's standard discount offer (12.5%). If you feel comfortable telling the world, did you by any chance secure a discount?

I do understand if you'd rather not say.

Also, when do you expect to get your kit?

Thanks.
  11. eimer3107

eimer3107 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    The AS400 (and the BDP100) are on the list of things specifically excluded from the discount. I wouldn't let this prevent you from asking - and obviously, if you are buying other things as well, there may be more flexibility. The sales desk is run by Sevenoaks/Audio T.

They said it might arrive (via my local Audio T) as early as next weekend.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. sigd64

sigd64 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That were I got mine from the Manchester branch at a discount. Love the boys there always helped me out
  13. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin Member

Ratings:
    +228
    I'm not denigrating the Arcam here as I really do love the sound they make but if you are not looking to downsize and save some space why don't you just buy another processor? The Marantz AV7005, NAD T75HD, upcoming Rotel 1580 and Audiolab 8200 are all in and around the same price as the AVR400 or less.
  14. TopMeTom

TopMeTom New Member

Ratings:
    +270
    Oh oh you've mentioned other makes in the Arcam owners thread,beware!:eek:

I am considering a lot at the moment,Nick Peacocks comments on the mara...er power amp are also intriguing me......

Exit stage left.......
  15. killiefan

killiefan Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Quality album.
  16. sapper

sapper Member

Ratings:
    +142
    It is indeed, aye
  17. A.I.

A.I. Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Glasgow SECC May 14th - if your interested :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. ianmacd

ianmacd Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Thanks John.

Supprised more people haven't posted their experiences. I just wish mine had turned up by now :(.
  19. sigd64

sigd64 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When did you order you's and what colour ? ( ordered mine on the 22/02 in black) still not here
  20. ianmacd

ianmacd Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Black and weeks ago now.
  21. deconstruct

deconstruct Member

Ratings:
    +3
    First post - and maybe first AVR400 owner - I received mine on the 31st Jan.

Hooked up to B&W XTC, XT8's, XT2's and PV1. For my ears I am very happy! Now considering the RDAC as I am mainly listening to music as MP3 - not sure how much of a difference it would make.

The onscreen menu's could be better in my opinion, they feel a bit clunky and could do with some smart UI work done to bring them up to date - admittedly you only really use them at the start. The volume OSD is not transparent, although it is quite discreet - comes up snappy enough.

One happy owner.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. ianmacd

ianmacd Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Did you upgrade from another av amp? If so, how does it compare?
  23. deconstruct

deconstruct Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Its my first AV amp.
    I demoed the same set up with the AVR500 a while ago (in the showroom) then heard about the AVR400 and decided to wait. My honest opinion is that id find it very difficult to find a difference.
  24. dglozic

dglozic Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Why would you need an RDAC with AVR400? You have a choice of digital connection options (Toslink, coaxial SPDIF, HDMI) and AVR400 has 192/24 7.1 DACs in it. All you need is a cable to connect your game console/HTPC/extender box.
  25. ianmacd

ianmacd Member

Ratings:
    +78
    The rDac is supposed to be more supperior to the DAC's in the AVR's.
  26. sigd64

sigd64 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    its good to hear that. i was toying with buying a ex demo Avr 500 but it all the software problems thought i get the 400, hopping these issuse will be sorted on this mode.
  27. ianmacd

ianmacd Member

Ratings:
    +78
    I was offered an AVR500 for a similar price too but decided against it as it does not have the preouts.
  28. sigd64

sigd64 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The only thing I'm going to have trouble is no phono stage will just have to buy a separate one. Cant wait to get it.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  29. dglozic

dglozic Member

Ratings:
    +17
    That may or may not end up audiable in the context of AVR400. I would recommend using AVR400 alone for a while, then borrowing rDAC and trying it on the same digital music and deciding if there is a meaningful difference and if so, if it is worth paying the rDAC price.

It seems to me that rDAC is a no brainer for owners of analog kits that want to add digital music to the list of sources. I am not sure it is an impulse purchase for owners of quality AV amps though. If AVR400 DACs are not good enough, I would question its usage as a pre/pro altogether, pre-out sockets nonwithstanding.
  30. ianmacd

ianmacd Member

Ratings:
    +78
    Agreed. I can not find what DAC's have been used on the AVR400 either.